They Got My Card Number.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

They Got My Card Number.

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Yep, some bottom-feeding, scum-sucking parasite got my card number and used it to pay for Skype. I don't have Skype. I spotted it when I checked my account on line, which I do every day. There were five charges to Skype ranging from ten to twenty-plus dollars. Alone, they weren't much but together they added up. I called the bank customer service, and they've cancelled my card and I should get a new one in a few days. fortunately, I've still got money left, and my checkbook. All charges will be reversed.

Damn. I don't frequent "suspicious" sites, but my AVG has intercepted a few attempts to put some malware into my computer recently. Then again, it could have been something on paper I threw away with my card number on it or ... who knows?

I deleted all my cookies and temp files and I think I'll get myself a shredder. Alas, Colorado has a high rate of identity theft.

Sigh. You must beware these days, my friends. There are vultures, vultures everywhere.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Re: They Got My Card Number.

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:51 am

Chuck

As long as they kept the charges at 50 dollars or under, you should just be dealing with a minor inconvenience. Most CC companies don't hold you responsible for that first 50 bucks.

At least you have your SS number safe. Someone got a hold of mine, and I ended up getting evicted from a few really nice places in Sacramento that I've never even visited.

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:37 am

Lori Koonce wrote:...and I ended up getting evicted from a few really nice places in Sacramento that I've never even visited.

Well, I think that's a case of selective memory, young lady! What do you mean "never even visited"? The stories are almost legendary! That one place, the plastic bucket, the Costco sized jar of Miracle Whip, the baby elephant from the petting zoo, and then, and then...

Hmmm, maybe some memories [i[are[/i] better left forgotten. I hear you can still see the stains in that biker bar next to the Highway 5 exit. ("...really nice places..." my arse!) Anyway, I'm just glad to know they finally dropped the warrants.

:)
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:06 am

David Silver wrote:
Lori Koonce wrote:...and I ended up getting evicted from a few really nice places in Sacramento that I've never even visited.

Well, I think that's a case of selective memory, young lady! What do you mean "never even visited"? The stories are almost legendary! That one place, the plastic bucket, the Costco sized jar of Miracle Whip, the baby elephant from the petting zoo, and then, and then...

Hmmm, maybe some memories [i[are[/i] better left forgotten. I hear you can still see the stains in that biker bar next to the Highway 5 exit. ("...really nice places..." my arse!) Anyway, I'm just glad to know they finally dropped the warrants.

:)

Boy Sliver

Just when ya get to thinking you know someone....

But seriously. I found out about my id theft by going to to get an apartment in Oakland. When they ran the credit check, I had found I had gotten evicted from a couple of places. I tried to explain that I could prove that wasn't me, but the property manager wouldn't hear of it.

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:14 am

I've had two unrelated credit cards hacked over the years. No harm, no foul. Just odd charges that the credit card companies noted were "suspicious" and they called me to check. Cancel the old, mail me the new, and I wasn't held responsible for any of it.

My wife's ATM card has been hacked three time! I tell her it's because she does waaaaaaaay too much buying on the internet. Who knows? But while a single basic credit card isn't that big of a deal, a bank ATM card can be a pain. You feel a little powerless while waiting for the replacement to arrive. At least with Bank of America, once again, no harm, no foul.

Nobody has stolen my identity, but my credit is so laughably bad, they wouldn't get very far with it anyway! I pity the poor thief who'd want to be me!!
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:26 am

With a couple thousand of outstanding federal debt, I used to think the same thing. But, you'd be surprised.

I am so looking forward to Kingpin coming out in paperback. It's the story of a guy who managed to get to run the biggest credit card underground by stealth and rather mafia like tactics.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 am

We've been rather fortunate in this regard, with only three issues to date that caused much heartburn.

The first involved a call from our CC company verifying that we'd really purchased $900 worth of tennis shoes to be delivered to a PO box in south central LA. Um, no. And a short time later we were reimbursed for the charges, had the card number changed and heard third person that the LAPD was interested in the box holder.

Second involved a stolen drivers' license number, getting me flagged for writing bad checks. My number had been turned in to whatever agency tracks such things, and I had to go and humiliate myself at a nearby Ralph's grocery store to get them to pull the flag down. But not without exacting a lump of flesh. I have in a drawer somewhere a letter from Ralph's corporate apologizing for my inconvenience and noting that it was a mistaken identity (and a twenty dollar coupon for my troubles...I was really, really mad).

And lastly, four years ago Capital One caught suspicious activity, shut it down and worked proactively with us to limit the damage. So far so good.

It's an ugly situation, but I'd check with your bank, Chuck. You ought to be covered for the losses as Lori noted.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:49 am

Oh yeah, I'm covered. My bank will reverse those charges and I'll get that seventy-eight bucks back. I stopped by my bank just now and cashed a check for groceries, etc. I'll be fine. My bank's pretty good about that sort of thing.

I'm also going to be on the lookout for any "skimmers" on gas pumps, ATM's, etc. Clever little things. They look like part of the slot you put your card into, but they read your card, get the number (and that of several other people) and then are collected later by the Leech.

These have to be manufactured devices. Someone had to configure the chip, extrude the plastic, etc. What kind of business does that, I wonder? I suppose one could do that out of one's basement. It makes counterfeiting seem downright quaint.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:13 am

Funny, I was just reading about all these net hackers who are declaring war against. . .well everything so it seems. They just arrested one in Essex - just a kid, 19 years old - who was apparently involved in an attack on the CIA (or was it the FBI?) and the British Census Bureau. They may extradict him to the U.S. The group - apparently - likes publicising personal information, passwords, security numbers. . .scarry folk!

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:46 pm

It's easy to find hacking tech -- you can even subscribe to a dead-tree magazine:
http://www.2600.com/

Or attend the annual convention in Las Vegas:
http://www.defcon.org/

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:22 pm

Happened to me, too. A phone company, probably fake. The bank is checking it out.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:48 pm

ditto

I ordered a CD over the internet and in the acknowledgement email the dumb bastards included my full CC number. Sure enough the next day I got a bunch of charges for online computer games. Some kid who didn't have sense enough to go for the gusto and get a new TV or an Ipod. My Credit Card company called me and even contacted the online vendor to chastise them for their lapse in judgement.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:57 pm

You should only shop online at Amazon and that's it. The hackers are trolling for numbers at all times.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm surprised that you actually condem the hackers Frank.

Return to “General”