Creative Commons

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Creative Commons

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:35 pm

Mike, the lost wallet analogy doesn't work. I don't accidentally leave my pictures behind at a truckstop. And, btw, yes, the person finding the wallet and taking the money IS a thief.

To follow your analogy further, I don't care about the value of my photographs because I put them on public display? That's nonsense. I reserve the right to put my pictures anywhere I want, but it's shear arrogance to assume because I put them somewhere -- always noting the copyright -- that you or anyone else can now use them in any way you see fit.

In the same regard, if I see a painter with his pictures on display in a window all I need to do is walk in and take it, yes?

No. Of course. :?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:38 pm

i assume you did not see above?

i understand the need for exposure, but you know the risks of 'net exposure.

cris experienced similar abuses without agency's legal backup.

i understand your frustration, but i would be amazed if you did not expect this type of abuse.

you can't be surprised at this.
follow your bliss,mike

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Barber wrote:Mike, the lost wallet analogy doesn't work. I don't accidentally leave my pictures behind at a truckstop. And, btw, yes, the person finding the wallet and taking the money IS a thief.

no; they did not have your moral control or values, they are not a thief.
they in no way caused you to loose your wallet.
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:50 pm

cynic wrote:
Barber wrote:Mike, the lost wallet analogy doesn't work. I don't accidentally leave my pictures behind at a truckstop. And, btw, yes, the person finding the wallet and taking the money IS a thief.

no; they did not have your moral control or values, they are not a thief.
they in no way caused you to loose your wallet.

Yes, they are. If they took property from someone -- presuming there was an ID and credit cards in the wallet -- they stole something they could return. If they are somehow found to be 'in possession" and not returning it the police might frown on his innocence.

Or do you subscribe to maritime law as...er...the law of the land?

Besides, I havent lost my pictures if I post them on the Internet.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:52 pm

cynic wrote:i assume you did not see above?

i understand the need for exposure, but you know the risks of 'net exposure.

cris experienced similar abuses without agency's legal backup.

i understand your frustration, but i would be amazed if you did not expect this type of abuse.

you can't be surprised at this.

So I might just as well lay back and enjoy the sex?

Really?

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:59 pm

of course not steve
i just don't understand why you would set your product up for abuse
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:04 pm

cynic wrote:of course not steve
i just don't understand why you would set your product up for abuse

In the hopes that friends of mine might enjoy and respect my work. I am revising my website to change the accessibility, but it is part of marketing. I've gotten work as a result. That's my payoff, and the reason it's there.

Cris and I have both been ripped off -- and it was the lack of recourse that has formed my attitude against anything or anyone who would assume a right to my work without my permission.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:24 pm

does your return so far at least make up for the anger you have expressed. or are you pulling ahead yet ?

i liked the n'orlans photo, by the way.
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:29 pm

cynic wrote:does your return so far at least make up for the anger you have expressed. or are you pulling ahead yet ?

i liked the n'orlans photo, by the way.

By far. But it doesn't make it easier when someone says "it's your fault I stole your photo".

And cool, thank you. I love that shot...

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:45 pm

It strikes me as somewhat ironic that we create the most efficient means of spreading information ever known and then we spend years setting up firewalls and other methods to keep information from being spread through the same medium, in effect compromising its efficiency.

It seems to me there is a fundamental contradiction in the way we use the internet.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:10 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:It strikes me as somewhat ironic that we create the most efficient means of spreading information ever known ...

Good Lord, that is such a debatable statement!!!
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:26 am

We gave the internet away to corporate America, just as we did with radio and teevee. They create the firewalls that separate us from each other. Note my Google--individual--clicks story I mentioned the other day.

The internet, as most other things were invented by the government, then once the big corportions get to it they kick away the ladder from the rest of us.

---------

Barber, what's wrong with government funding art?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:05 am

FrankChurch wrote:We gave the internet away to corporate America, just as we did with radio and teevee. They create the firewalls that separate us from each other. Note my Google--individual--clicks story I mentioned the other day.

The internet, as most other things were invented by the government, then once the big corportions get to it they kick away the ladder from the rest of us.

---------

Barber, what's wrong with government funding art?

To point A: the corporations were always part of the Internet. You don't possibly thing the govt or colleges strung the actual cables, do you? The infrastructure has always been built through the corporations.

To pint B: Nothing at all, Frank, I highly endorse the concept of govt funded art. museums, PBS, artists. Fund 'em all. That has nothing to do with copyright or ownership, since the govt doesn't demand a piece of the...well, piece... In return.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Yea, they didn't get tax abatements for stringing the cables. You also forgot about the tax cuts in general.

Barber, Barber, Barber,...

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Barber, why do you defend libraries?

Return to “General”