Creative Commons

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Creative Commons

Postby Moderator » Mon May 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:You're missing the nuance.

I should point out that while authors do not receive royalties on loans from libraries they do get a royalty on the initial sale to the library. So it's not the same thing as downloading illegally at all.

Well, Hell, there goes the nuance! :lol:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 15, 2012 8:57 am

That's why the watermark idea is so good. Unlike the library you would make money.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat May 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Thought this merited repeat.

Vince Gil wrote:“Income streams are dwindling,” he said. “Record sales aren’t what they used to be. The devaluation of music and what it’s now deemed to be worth is laughable to me. My single costs 99 cents. That’s what a (single) cost in 1960. On my phone, I can get an app for 99 cents that makes fart noises – the same price as the thing I create and speak to the world with. Some would say the fart app is more important. It’s an awkward time. Creative brains are being sorely mistreated.”
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun May 20, 2012 12:36 pm

I weep for Vince Gill. Can't afford a second yacht I heard.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun May 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Frank have you heard of Kickstarter? Barber has Cris? If Cris puts a song, I will scrape up my pennies and support her. I think this may be part of what you speak Frank and AFP and

Gaiman are behind and they are my peeps.They need not my pennies at the moment, so I'm saving em for Mrs. B. Steve does Cris ever do AS Time goes By?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun May 20, 2012 2:47 pm

(Hi diane! You okay? Your post in the Pav was a little disturbing.)

I don't know if Cris knows Kickstarter. I'll have to check. I'm not familiar with it myself. She's distributed by 37 Records, as well as through iTunes and CD Baby. So far we haven't been successful in getting Pandora to play her music.

The good news is that she now has eight summer gigs ranging from a private concert this Wednesday night ranging right up to the Steve Tyrell concert on Sept 1. After an empty first half of the year she's picking up steam again.

I've suggested As Time Goes By several times, in fact. So far not on the list, though she agrees it's a beautiful song. I think she could update it nicely. Stay tuned, maybe someday!!!

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun May 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi Steve. When I come to LA., I want all kinds of Cris' CDs. I cant figure out this Web thing to save my life. No Im not ok. My cardiologist tried to kill me I think. He kept me on statins even though I told him they made me violently ill. Now we have some bad blood tests from kidneys and liver and constipation and diarrhea alternately. Explosive with the latter. Messy. TMI I know. Certain groups of folks I read should never be on statins. Physically disabled. Check. Hypothryroid. Check. Those on serotonin meds. Check. Cause muscle disintergration. The byproducts of which the kidney and liver don;t like to elinminate or filter. Stupid doctors. Stupid me. ive been putting up with this for 2 years or better. I wanna see Cris in concert.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun May 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Take care of the former so we get the chance at the latter, k?

As far as trusting doctors, I had to learn the hard way as well. Ended up in the ER after one of the doctors in my GP's practice changed my heart med. Turned out my GP had me on that specific med for a secondary condition (thickened heart wall) that became critical when it was subsequently unmedicated.

So, I now ask and if necessary interrogate. Luckily my GP and her Nurse Practitioner appreciate this rather than resent it...but it really annoys other doctors who simply want me to shut up and take the meds they prescribe.

I would absolutely have the discussion with your doctor, directly asking if your symptoms are a direct result of the statins, and remind him you argued against them in the first place. Get the ER report and make sure you keep a copy.

And let us know what happens!!!

(And we should move this to a different thread...)

Return to “General”