Voice From The Edge, Volumes 4 & 5

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Voice From The Edge, Volumes 4 & 5

Postby FinderDoug » Wed May 18, 2011 3:03 pm

I know I'm not especially plugged in of late, but am I the only one who was surprised by these? I mean, happy as can be these are out, but it strikes me as odd (even considering current struggles) that these appeared without some kind of close-to-the-date heads-up/reminder/hey-these-are-coming.

Also not sure what to make of the additional narrators listed by Audible, in terms of "damn, that's never happened before". I'm not used to other people reading Harlan's stuff. And more than anything else of the last few months, that's got me a little unnerved.

Jan

Re: Voice From The Edge, Volumes 4 & 5

Postby Jan » Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 pm

It's been my impression that Harlan rarely knows when Audible things come out, and neither do they since he has to approve of the packaging.
My other impression is that Audible fast-tracked these. I suspect it has to do with the Nebulas or with the market. There must be a reason because otherwise it would be dumb not to release them apart.
The audio samples feature only Harlan as a reader. He's reading them quick.
BTW, I still would like comments in SPIDER about all or some of the sets - I once hoped David would do it.

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Wed May 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Uh, which David?
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed May 18, 2011 7:07 pm

Portland-David, who wrote this.
(By the way, thanks for the kind words about SPIDER recently.)

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu May 19, 2011 8:48 am

I am probably going to be purchasing both volumes from Audible tonight and, assuming my kids are not running rampant, I am hoping to share some comments and observations on both collections by next week

It did seem odd that nothing was announced that this was being released, but I am glad both Doug & Jan brought it to everyone's attention
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Return to “General”