Depression

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Re: Depression

Postby diane bartels » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:02 am

I agree in prt and disagree in part with all of you. Basically, I think the issue is to find a good doc/therapist whom you can trust and relate to, and go from there. I think some people have been misdiagnosed and others get meds who probably dont need them. But I have had OCD all my life and Depression in major form since my 20s. Now sometimes I have good periods where Im fine, but when I need the meds, I go to the ones that have worked. I have been lucky in finding docs who were willing to try different ones, and who also believed in talk therapy. I was lucky in finding a clinic recently with a therapist who is dynamite and not costing me money. So how long will I stay on the Zoloft. For as long as I need to, which is between my docs and me. This is a personal decision which should be made individually by every person. But I sorta think maybe some drugs r y our HE is writing a bit again? Thank God for that.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:49 pm

I'm not anti-drug in the least. I am, however, leery of overprescription, as those doctors who aren't simply lazy seem to go wacky with covering their asses against potential lawsuit for missing a diagnosis.

I did get a great laugh from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMvKIHw7bCI

The meshing of the "ideal life" images with the rapid-fire hushed warnings is perfect (one side-effect being "mild death"!!).

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:28 am

Hee hee! Never mind "mild death". It's the total fucking scrotal implosion that scared the bejeebers out of me!
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:53 pm

According to a book by Barbara Ehrenreich, Calvanism has caused loads of depression--our workaholic nature. Chilling and reflection is a helpful meme.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:19 pm

Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:For me it does.

One of the mood regulating hormones is Melatonin, and you need sunlight for your system to create it. It's one of the problems behind a type of depression called Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I'm a night worker, so I tend to feel more comfortable when the weather is cloudy and the sun is down.

Of course, nothing's open then. It's not a perfect life.

On the other hand, living in Portland, Oregon … especially this year (we're going to have, like, 2 80F days coming up, with a return to the cool'n'cloudy soon after, after a loong, cloudy, rainy spring (we don't think Winter ever ended here)) … is bliss to me. It's a bonus that I'm a native Oregonian.

Sam.
Oar-ee-gun.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:51 pm

I would also quickly find a lot of sunshine and heat terribly oppressive. It's amazing how bright an overcast sky can be, certainly around here.

Don't know whether that's what makes me an Oregonian or Oregon made me that way, but there it is.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:24 am

I used to enjoy the clouds quite a bit, and shriek from the sun like Dracula.

Living in England has changed that. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:41 am

Hmmmmm.

Late May, and for the month of June we get that sort of overcast weather. We even call it June Gloom. For me, that lighting does become depressing and solemn. I guess it all depends on our individual makeup...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:46 am

SJK -- know what ya mean. I used to joke that I --must-- be an alien, as I don't seem to be well-adapted to either the "normal" diurnal activity or the 24-hour cycle. While I do enjoy a sunny day (& the full-spectrum light behind me does seem to help my moods), I can readily drag myself through an exhausting day then get all fired up 10pm-2am.

Another factor in chronic or recurring depression: pain. This is worth repeating -- an ER nurse told me that "nothing saps the will to live like chronic minor pain." Her long observation was that patients could put up a fight against acute &/or extreme pain, but little omnipresent aches nibble relentlessly away at sleep & attention span, often resisting medication.

I've had a pain below my left floating ribs for a couple of years, & it's been ever-so-slowly increasing. Despite harassing doctors for more than six months (yet-another appointment tomorrow morning, during which hostages may be taken -- watch for me on CNN), I have yet to get past the "are you sure there's a problem?" hurdle. Thankfully, I can still (usually) sleep deeply for at least six hours at a time, but everything from my writing to my eBay selling has suffered markedly.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Steve Evil, I bet you curse every time a raindrop tans your hide.

The fact that people think global climate change is a myth is depressing.

We should all spit on the LA people, who tend to get perfect weather.

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:48 am

Anthony Ravenscroft wrote:SJK -- know what ya mean. I used to joke that I --must-- be an alien, as I don't seem to be well-adapted to either the "normal" diurnal activity or the 24-hour cycle. While I do enjoy a sunny day (& the full-spectrum light behind me does seem to help my moods), I can readily drag myself through an exhausting day then get all fired up 10pm-2am.

I too. I used to be free during those hours, but the only jobs I can find happen during those hours. I don't really have a problem with being employed, things being what they are, I just wish I could change my cirumstance a little bit. Just a little.

Anthony Ravenscroft wrote:Another factor in chronic or recurring depression: pain. This is worth repeating -- an ER nurse told me that "nothing saps the will to live like chronic minor pain." Her long observation was that patients could put up a fight against acute &/or extreme pain, but little omnipresent aches nibble relentlessly away at sleep & attention span, often resisting medication.

I had the same experience-kinda-not-really - a seriously decayed tooth that began to crumble away. Nothing nearly as chronic as yours, and you think "just a little pain, I can put up with that", but the thing about a toothache is it hurts in the jaw an radiates the pain around a bit and refers it other places, so the top of my head felt like someone was pounding it, and that pain (which didn't just 'go away') sapped the rest of my good humor and creativity. Not good.

I, fortunately, have enough dental insurance to get an extraction at a minimal charge to myself. The traitor tooth has been banished and will trouble me no more. But I won't soon forget the drastic effects "just a little pain" will have. I have friends who experience chronic pain. I assist them as best as am able, and shoot them no shit.

Sam.
Relatively pain-free.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Jefty is always five.

But anyways, ANTHONY, IF THEY HAVE NOT DONE SO MAKE THEM TEST FOR YOUR HEART. MAKE THEM DO THE BLOOD WORK FOR THE ENZYMES. Dont be satisfied with just a "normal" ekg. When I had my blockage 3 years ago, my ekg was normal. Pain is serious. Dont let them put you off, just cause they dont know yet.

Like sunshine, have screwed up sleep schedule. Big factor in feeling better this week was regulating that. Up in the morning. Couldnt sleep last night for some reason. But dragged my sorry self outta bed early this am anyways. Feel good. Well betterer anyway db

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:46 pm

For those not otherwise encumbered by chronic pain, in case you haven't heard of it, might I suggest melatonin?

It's a chemical naturally secreted by the body, and is sensitive in changes in light. The less light, the more melatonin. It's apparently meant to help yas sleep deeper and get drowsy. For those of us who (by necessity) have shifted sleep times, like during the day where - perforce - the melatonin is less, it can help you have a sounder sleep during the day.

I've tried it and it works pretty well. Despite being a night-owl by nature, my body sometimes wants to respond to the sun. This helps me somewhat.

Sam Klein.
Better sleeping through chemistry.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Everybody is their own brand of chemical stew. Best not to mess with the pot.

Return to “General”