Depression

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Re: Depression

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Only if you want them to be.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Sounds like you gentlemen can serve your nation best by joining the Armed Forces. There's plenty-o-work.

They'd never let me in with my back troubles. . .

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Sounds like you gentlemen can serve your nation best by joining the Armed Forces. There's plenty-o-work.

Sorry, Ezra, I'm pretty sure that I'm not a citizen of your particular nation. I also doubt killing people is the best possible cure for chronic depression and self-pity.

...well, okay, it might be, but only if it's people I already don't like.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:26 pm

Um, guys.

Let's go back up to where I asked for some respect for this thread and pretend you read it.

Thank you.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Isn't there any place I can just sound off? There are times I'm tired of playing Mr. Stoic, and pretending nothing bothers me, or that everything is just hunky-dorry.

After my "I'm a little older" post, I went out and got a job in a warehouse. I'm already famous for my joviality. I laugh and I joke and I smile, because I try to enjoy life, even in a boring warehouse. I'm not a moper, I don't do self pitty. But un derneath it all, there is anxiety, there is uncertainty, and once in a while, I do need to give voice to it. Just to say "ladies and gents, there's somethin' that's buggin' me. . .now don't gemmie wrong, my life's been mighty fine so far and I wouldn't trade it for anyone's, but you know what? There is this thing that's been buggin' me!"

That's all.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Poifect. Thank you, Mr Evil. That's the sort of vein opening encouraged on this thread.

(In all seriousness, Unca Harlan has stated the truest writing comes from "opening a vein".)

The topic of "been bugging me" heartily endorsed.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:47 am

Done and done. There is now a thread titled, "So, what's been bugging you?" That way, people can get thing off their chest while respecting the parameters of a more specific thread like this one.

No need to thank me.

Chuck

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:59 am

Nobody has to thank you Chuck, but I'm going to. Maybe now we'll get back to what I want it to be!

Now with that in mind....

You know something, as much as a depressive sometimes wants to think that the entire universe is against them, they get proven wrong.

There is a convention in town. Now that in and of itself isn't a big happy making deal. They happen here all the time. But, what dosen't happen is when one of my favorite bands puts on a private concert, and outta concern for all their fans, puts up three jumbotrons, so that those of us who aren't attending the convention can see it as well.

I'll give ya all the details, but you've got enough to know that it isn't always bad.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:45 pm

I suppose everyone needs to vent now and then. I myself am struck by the occasional burst of melancholy (my very own "Black Dog", who just won't shoo. . .). I can keep it undre control for the most part, but it comes all the same. That's what this thread is good for. . .

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Steve I would disagree. After all a problem shared with people who understand is a problem that is halved.

All of us have our black dogs. And to be honest if it werent for the support of evreyone here, I dont know if I could have survived mine. But if its just venting that is required, then maybe that is a good thing. We all need to get the poison out of our system, me no less or more than any one, and to hear an encouraging word can mean the world to you when that black dog has its teeth in you.

Steve mate. If you wanna vent at anyone, if you ever need a sympathetic ear... If you even need a shoulder. I am here. And so is EVERYONE here.

Youre a good friend. Dont let them dogs bite deep.

Iain

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:09 am

"Depression" can cover the clinical type like I have, or situational. Joblessness, divorce, that will put you in a tailspin, and not one that's easy to pull out of. This thread can be seen as a safe haven for people coming to grips with these feelings.

Chuck

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:20 am

I wonder...is the possibility that you'll never achieve your lifelong ambition enough to drive a man to end himself? Or is a mediocre life better than no life at all?

I want to be someone famous, if only to make my family proud they're related to me. But, I'm seeing signs that my life is heading in a different direction. Not the pits, not by far, but still, nowhere near what I had hoped as a kid. Maybe it's circumstantial problems, maybe it's my own laziness, maybe it's both, but it seems I need to make peace with the fact not all of us can be Rocky Balboa.

Only I'm not sure I can. Part of the curse of having a vivid imagination is being able to visualize an alternate reality where you're the successful, affluent go-getter everyone wants/needs you to be. If those visions continue to taunt me, there's only so much I can take before you'd want to stop them entirely...by any means necessary.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Ben, I had those dreams too when younger. I have excepted that at my age, I most likely will never be a prima ballerina. But Im rehearsing to act a small role in a play this month, which was an even bigger dream. I am assuming you are a lot younger than me. So you could still see your dreams come true. If you die, you won't know if the dreams could have been fulfilled. Make sure the dreams are really what you want though. In my late 20s, I dreamed of being a lawyer. When I got to law school, I realized that emotionally and physically, I was not suited to a lawyer's life.

On a personal note, I am worried by the tone of your post. Suicide is never a good fix, though it may seem so at the time. You are intelligent and literate(based on your posts), and I think you will make your dream come true. Therapy can be very helpful in getting things all sorted out.
Be well, Ben.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:45 pm

accepted. I meant accepted.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Life allows for the possibility of the unfullfillment of dreams. Suicide guarantees it.

Return to “General”