Depression

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Depression

Postby Moderator » Sat May 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:For me it does.

One of the mood regulating hormones is Melatonin, and you need sunlight for your system to create it. It's one of the problems behind a type of depression called Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Not casting any aspersions on the true disorder, I can't help but note the obvious summertime decrease in work activity of "Seasonal Effective Disorder".

Puns present themselves and are either used or ignored. I'm not of strong enough fiber to ignore them. Or, as Cris is want to say: I suffer from conversational tourettes. If it occurs to me, it will be said aloud. :oops:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sat May 07, 2011 11:05 pm

A proper thunderstorm seems to cheer me up, or at least relax me. Rich sounds & pretty lights, like God's own heavy-metal show, but I suspect the increased ozone has something to do with it.

Some years back, in Minneapolis, I started a relationship with a lovely woman, only to have her move to California largely to escape the effects of SAD. A year after that, she moved again... to freakin' Oregon. Um -- huh?

Anyway, I have a couple of full-spectrum lights, & haven't noticed any significant difference from having 'em on, though when I have to pull an all-nighter to finish some project I find it easier to stay relaxed & focussed (& I am less inclined to chain-smoke). After trying a few models (including a borrowed pricey "SAD box"), the best one was a cheap Walmart-bought fluorescent grow-light.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sat May 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Oh, yeh, & melatonin tabs are a great mild sedative when I've got the "runaway thoughts" problem. No notable side-effects, better than warm milk (which I loathe except to wash down fresh tollhouse cookies -- not a great treat before bedtime), more convenient than dark-meat turkey.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Sun May 22, 2011 9:06 am

I've tried the sunlight thing, some different assortment of drugs, herbs, shamans, therapy, acupuncture, acupressure, Chiropractic, as well as a myriad of other things that I cannot remember at this time. Not a damn thing helps my depression. Luckily, it comes and goes. I do know that it is always lurking in the shadows of my brain somewhere, ready to rear its ugly head some time. I have resigned myself to the fact that it is something that I was born with, and there is not much I can do to make it better, other than to trudge through the tough days, and savor the good days.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun May 22, 2011 12:00 pm

Demoralization of how fucked up the world is is another reason there is so much depression. People cannot cope with the unfairness of so much of what is going on.

Drugs sometimes do more harm than good, but if you need them, go head.

Hi Roc.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun May 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Clinical depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. It's believed to be a low residual level of the chemical seratonin, which is extruded by the synapses of the brain.

The human body is a chemical factory. It produces a complex and subtle mix of chemicals which allow the various parts of the body to function properly. The brain is just another organ, and is not immune to the effects of a chemical imbalance. Bipolar disorder, for example, is caused by too little lithium in the bloodstream. Lithium tablets were the first effective treament for bipolar, though doctors had to watch it closely, since too much lithium can be toxic.

The world has always been fucked up in one way or the other. I've been watching some episodes of The Borgias that a friend of mine recorded. When watching programs like that, or documentaries from that period, I can't help but think "what a shitty time to be alive". Worse than today, by far.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun May 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Guys -

Technical question. I've been talking about this with Wyatt, and I was wondering if news like the Nebula could make a dent in chemical depression -- and secondly can regular exercise also have an...excuse the term...impact?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun May 22, 2011 12:44 pm

I've heard that it can indeed have an impact. Something to do with the flow of oxygen. At the very least it does no harm.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun May 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Ummm, yeah.

http://www.myhousecallmd.com/archives/4550

In Harlan's case it will also stimulate appetite and help with blood flow.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sun May 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Provided they correct the apparent spelling error on the damned thing, which it appears to have from the twitpic of it put online last night. Really? No one in the SFWA noticed that? For all the joy it would bring Harlan, delivering a Grand master an award that misspells his name would probably have the opposite effect. Inexcusable.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun May 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Barber

I can only speak for myself, but unexpected stuff like that has always made me feel a bit better. But, I'm on medication that is right dosage and type.

Without knowing how Harlan is doing on that front it's kinda hard to say. I surely hope so because I hate knowing that someone like him is suffering.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun May 22, 2011 2:45 pm

I'd guess the depression has something to do with age issues as well. He gets sicker easier, there's the issues of having to go to the doctor all the time, something that would surely make me depressed--I have only been to the doctor two times in my life!

He misses his old food choices, being that he is a gourmand. Misses his friends that died. These are all issues. Harlan is one complex charactor.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun May 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Frank

Age will play into it, because your body is starting to run down. So he's not making as much of the mood altering hormones as usual. But, as far as I can tell, Harlan has been dealing with this through out his life. Age and circumstance is just making a bad thing worse.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Mon May 23, 2011 10:29 pm

We had a family friend who was a nurse. She once famously told us, "Nothing undercuts the will to live like chronic low-level pain." Acute &/or severe pain can be fought, but those little aches & pains just eat you away, like water dripping on stone. I've been fighting some yet-undiagnosed gut ailment for more than a year; I can't focus enough to write much (my previous cure-all), & I don't rest as well as I should. I'm almost to the point of cornering my doctor with the dread pica ruler & demanding an MRI. (Upside: had a colonoscopy last week, & they told me I have a marvellously healthy large intestine.)

When I'm down, I don't know that winning the lottery would cheer me up. The mood seems to cast its pall on everything.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon May 23, 2011 11:54 pm

You are right Anthony. Its been damp in Chi. and my bones and back ache. does not help mood.

What does help me is other people = peeps coming round, going hey, wanna go out to lunch, could u look at these negatives with me(just a suggestion, Steve B), come to this gallery with me, etc. Its alway nice to know one makes a diff in folks lives.

What doesnt help - being told ones physical pain is ones own fault, or told to pull oneself up by my bootstraps. If I could do that, this particular conversation would not exist.
Crap, I sound like Im mad at you guys, and Im not at all. Twitter sucks, and my family should stfu.

Ques. Is a 19 year able bodied nephew of above average intelligence to be expected to drive himself to his jujitsu in his own blue Mustang, if aunt of neph. really thinks her docs should hospitalize her for a bit, give her the tests they want without her having to worry about driving back sedated from them, find out the cause of pain and increased depression, and do some intensive pt, ot etc.. Specially if said aunt has been driving said nephew every fricken weekday when he decides to go for the last month or so, on my gas with like maybe thanks twice from either the neph or the sis, mom of the neph.

Sigh. Ok. See how I switched that from HE and made it all about me? My prob in a nutshell. Just ask my sibs they will tell you.

Return to “General”