Depression

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Depression

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 am

If they make you teach to the test, then maybe you should quit, then that job is just another junky waste of time. Why not try out London?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Steve Evil wrote:Thanks guys. It wouldn't be the first time I've found solace here. . . fact is, I'm just a rotten teacher. I don't have what it takes. Which makes me wonder: what DO I have, and where can I take it?

A lousy music critic once wrote something that stuck with me: "It hurts to be so bad at something you love so much."

And according to some accounts, Salieri once asked the lord "Why fill me with desire but not give me the talent?"

I can partially blame the English sysetem - I do think it's dehumanizing - but other people manage it. I've never met anyone who liked it, but they do seem to manage. Why couldn't I?

I'm sorry man I am. I tried too I really did. I mistook the passion to learn in myself for a passion to help other people learn. I got the former but not the latter. I found a career that helped finance my own desire to learn but I've always felt like I failed. I am truly sorry for your situation.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:15 pm

Stupidity is in plentiful supply these days. Maybe it always has been. I'm sorry this situation stinks so badly. I hope you find something more fulfilling soon.

Hell, this just plain sucks.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:45 pm

Attention to detail, generalized problem-solving abilities, diligence, pride in workmanship... all have been in steady decline for many years, all earn ridicule from the mass-mind.

My day-job consists mostly of being a general-purpose problem-solver for transit buses, at the "finish line" of the factory. I'm a geeky post-hippie intellectual, yet I'm crawling underneath these $650,000 behemoths or wrapped bodily around various portions of their internal workings, fixing wires & pneumatics & hydraulics & mechanical doohickeys. No formal training -- hell, no INFORMAL training -- just 8 months of throwing myself at it until I figure it out, now starting to show abilities that amaze people doing the installs for 5, 10, 15 years.

And when I pull yet another minor miracle outta my butt, Management complains that (a) it took too long, (b) I shoulda known the problem immediately, (c) contradictory orders from Upstairs shouldn't confuse me....

If I step away from the bus covered in dirty brake fluid to enjoy a prideful moment before leaping on the next fire, I'm told to stop wasting time.

$15/hour vs. a $650,000 paperweight.

Oh, & fill out the paperwork ("We'll be paperless by 2008!!!") because "tracking" has tripled in the past five years -- but I'm expected to take LESS time with every new form.

Might explain why the stock price has gone from 16 to 8 in the past year... except Management blames the workers. Damn those medical benefits.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:54 am

"We just wanted to let you Hebrews know that we're cutting staff -- in other words we're executing half of you. Also, you'll have to make bricks without straw, and we need them twice as fast. You don't need to eat, do you? Oh, and have fun!"

Signed, Pharaoh.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:06 am

Goddamn this is too much. It's almost six am here, and I don't get to leave until seven. I'm dealing with trucks, stupid people and it's been TOO GODDAMN LONG since my last vacation.

There will be no vacations approved until June, because they're rolling out a new software that the gatehouse uses in our registers. I've got dibs on the first full week of June, but that is months from now.

I feel like my whole life is a failure. Jesus Christ. I work graveyard, and I have a rather restricted social life as a result. I am burnt out. I am fed up. I am fifty-six years old, going on fifty-seven in August. What a waste. What a Goddamn waste. I'm going to have to take an extra Prozac as a booster. I'm already on double doses.

I just need to get away from this shit pit, even for a week. I don't want to interact with one more stupid guy, I don't want to hear another goddamn diesel engine. I don't want to see another rusted out, piece of shit truck ever again.

And I still have an hour to go.

Chuck

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:43 am

And I am really goddamn tired. Bone weary.

Chuck

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:48 am

Here come the goddamn trucks. Fifteen minutes.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:13 am

Chuck, I wish I could say something to make it better. But all I got is you are my friend, and I enjoy your presence here. And stuff changes that is one thing I am sure of. Maybe there will be a better job headed your way, or something even better.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:13 pm

I appreciate it, Diane. But now, IT'S SATURDAY!! Oh, what a relief it is.

Chuck

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:40 pm

For what it's worth, your voice has helped make this place a little oasis in the desert of idiocy. . . and I'm thinking very similar thoughts myself at the moment, as yet another carear crumbles in its cradle. Hang in there. . .

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:13 pm

What does one say when one is crawling, parched, through a desert of idiocy?

"Brraaainnns!"

Chuck

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Eat califlower, it looks like brains and it tastes good.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Steve E.: I'm sorry to hear of your run-in with the English school system. Lori's right, it's a mould mill.

My father was a Public School (Earleywood/Bedales) boy and ended up teaching at A.S. Neill's Summerhill School.

Check it out, I think it might be more your style:

http://www.summerhillschool.co.uk/
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 am

Joe Scarborough said some pretty ignorant shit today. This is not the exact thing but it went something like: "These days kids trade stories of what drugs they are on, while in the great Depression people didn't complain about being depressed, they went to work."

Return to “General”