Depression

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

reddragon70

Re: Depression

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

I wanted to thank you all, for the message of support and the offers of support. That means a massive amount to me.

I had my first session of CBT today. Made a few realisations, not revelations as such but certainly epiphanies. Realised the things I need to change, and now looking for ways to change them. That for me is going to be that hardest part. Breaking habits I have had for a long time. Although the last year has certainly brought everything into sharp relief, I have probably needed to make these changes for a long time.

When speaking to my mate Bill yesterday I hit upon a metaphor that describes what I have been feeling and going through. The way I described it was that I was in the middle of a huge cyclone storm. Right in the eye of the storm if you like, looking at the damage being done. I thought I was holding things together, in a place of calm where all about me was a maelstrom. I now now that it was ME that was the storm. I was just too close to be able to see it.

Now I know that simple fact, I am stop it. I have to stop it. If I dont, it will kill me, and destroy my marriage.

So now begins the long and hard road. I pray to whatever gods are out there that I am able to keep going and not slip backwards.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Not in all cases, Frank. Not in all cases.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Depression

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Ok, I know a few of us suffer from it, and we all ready know how it effects us and the ones we care about.

But, the majority of us don't have it, nor does anyone we know personally.

So, with this in mind I'm offering up my first hand knowledge, and possibly that of a good friend of mine, to help those of you who may have questions, but no one to direct them to.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon May 02, 2011 1:29 pm

I have much to say on this recurring black dog; but not at the moment. One finds ways of tolerating its visits. . .

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon May 02, 2011 1:40 pm

I don't suffer from depression, so hopefully my question won't sound too ignorant and insulting.

It's this: can you "feel" it coming, and if you do, are there specific things you can do to help mitigate its effects?

There have been times in my life when I've felt truly bad, but it's almost entirely situational. A bit of physical activity, prayer, and simply enduring sees me through. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have this happen to you and not have recourse, other than some medication.

Props to those of you who face this with courage!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 02, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm rarely depressed. Another dumb question: Is depression a recent idea?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon May 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Duane wrote:I don't suffer from depression, so hopefully my question won't sound too ignorant and insulting.

It's this: can you "feel" it coming, and if you do, are there specific things you can do to help mitigate its effects?

There have been times in my life when I've felt truly bad, but it's almost entirely situational. A bit of physical activity, prayer, and simply enduring sees me through. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have this happen to you and not have recourse, other than some medication.

Props to those of you who face this with courage!

Duane

This answer applies to only me. Depression is "felt" differently for each sufferer. You can google the basics on what to look for in others, that usually applies to most of us.

But, to answer your question, yeah I can feel it coming on. It starts with the desire to avoid anything that vaguely looks or acts human. Then it progresses to actual pain. My knees and back hurt so badly at times that I don't even wanna get outta bed to take a piss, let alone leave my room. This is about the same time I wanna do a lot of sleeping.

Medication helps things not look like the heart monitor of a person who is in the middle of heart palpitations, so I've been taking 100 mg of Zoloft a day for a year or so now. As far as what personal things I do, usually force myself to get up and move. Even if it's only the 15 minute walk from home to the library it helps. And since my hygiene goes to hell taking a shower and making sure I look half way human helps a lot.

I also have a couple of people who know me well and are willing to let me ramble when the need strikes. I've also been in serious therapy for a couple of years now. I find that if I take care of life's little problems then my mind is a bit to busy to feel down.

For the most part, I just slog my way through the day. I've been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, so it's kinda hard to keep a job. So I spend a hell of a lot of time here online. Sometimes just being here and realizing that others are having personal problems helps. It really depends on the mindset I wake up with. Sometimes I just let the darkness take over and wallow in whatever thoughts and feelings it brings to me.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon May 02, 2011 3:25 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I'm rarely depressed. Another dumb question: Is depression a recent idea?

First of all, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Secondly according to the Uinversity of Oregon:

"The Egyptians were the first to recognize depression and to treated it with a kind of psychotherapy that relied heavily on the power of suggestion (hypnosis)

o Hippocrates (460~355 B.C.), however, was the first to describe this disorder in natural terms and treat it medically

History of Depression

o Hippocrates explains depression as having been caused by a toxic overabundance of the humor BLACK BILE, melan choler

o The disorder is named melancholia and those with an inborn tendency to develop it are said to possess a "melancholic temperament"

History of Depression

o Hippocrates described one case this way:

o "…a woman, of a melancholic turn of mind, from some accidental sorrow, …became affected with loss of sleep…[and] aversion to food, …On the first night [she experienced] frights, much talking, [&] despondency;…On the second the same state…no sleep; On the third, [she had a desire] to sleep…[but] again awakened…" "

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon May 02, 2011 4:11 pm

Melancholia is also the subject (among others) of one of the maddest most wonderful books ever written, Richard Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy.

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Melanchol ... 249&sr=1-1
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue May 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Duane wrote:It's this: can you "feel" it coming, and if you do, are there specific things you can do to help mitigate its effects?

It's like a stomach ache or a cold. One just kind of sinks into it. Or wanders through it like a passing storm cloud. I just hold my breath and it passses by.

There are little demons who will tell you all sorts of rubbish. Not lies, but twisted truths. Ignore them! Keep Calm and Carry On, as the English obessively say.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue May 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Ah, my old friend, depression. I can usually recoginize it, but only after I've been experiencing it for a day or two. It can creep up on me, until I realize that the reason I'm irritable and I jump ever time the phone rings is a visit by the Black Dog. Throw in some outside reasons for depression (unemployment, death in the family) and it really gets fun.

I can usually keep it under control with Prozac, but I've been taking it for a long time and I may need to switch to something else.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Wed May 04, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm not truly "depressed," more a classic melancholic. I can readily enjoy the good stuff of life, but the bad stuff seems to linger -- hell, I feel badly about every cat I've had for the past 30 years.

A common error that "normal" people make is that they can "jolly" me out of it; that just makes me grumpy. Another is that it's something I can reason my way out of.

When I get down, I tend to just walk straight into it, & it burns out soon enough. Some good food (NOT gorging on chips), a trip to the chiro or massage therapist, three or four hours shopping for used vinyl, a solo evening listening to some randomly-chosen bar band. Sometimes I sleep a lot, sometimes I only cat-nap for days. The demon gets bored & wanders away. (Fortunate, I suppose, that I entirely lose my taste for hard liquor.)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 07, 2011 1:02 pm

Does good weather make one less depressed? Does bad make one more?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat May 07, 2011 1:33 pm

For me it does.

One of the mood regulating hormones is Melatonin, and you need sunlight for your system to create it. It's one of the problems behind a type of depression called Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Return to “General”