You probably REALLY REALLY want to read this one. Really.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

You probably REALLY REALLY want to read this one. Really.

Postby admin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:26 am

(really)

Check out the other similarly-named post for details on what's up.

However, that post is now deprecated and this post should represent my current state of mind more accurately.

Email me at rick@rickwyatt.com if you are interested in contributing to a mysterious project whose plan can best be described as "trust me" and which I will only tell you involves a fairly major site redesign.

The initial phase will run through the end of next month, but there will be a much longer and more relaxed second phase. I also will need people on board very long-term for continuing contribution and for ongoing rework/maintenance.

The title of the email should start with the word "cynosure" so I can properly track this shit in my email. If you don't do this I might miss it despite my best intentions. I get a metric shitton of spam.

I need to know if you want to help:
- creatively (submission of new content including artistic and documentary work)
- professionally (in terms of web work, database design/editing, and/or sound/video editing)
- managerially (in terms of filtering/editing or pulling together possibly widely disparate contributions or material)
- as a librarian/retrofitter, in transforming/clarifying existing material.
- editorially, as one of the caretakers of the forums like Steve or in maintaining one's own forum like Jan
- financially, as a supporter of either the mystery project or in contributing to the minimal cost of site hosting

I need to know your availability through the end of May, if you're willing to NDA this shit (basically keep it under your hat), and if you are willing to work with me providing as little direction as possible but still with final edit / veto power through the end of May, and afterwards hopefully determined largely by people other than me.

Finally, I need you to understand that because of the secretive end of this I have to limit some of the deeper parts of this to people who have, I don't know, talked to me or Harlan on the phone at some point, or worked with me in the past, or otherwise believe I clearly should have reason to trust you (aside from your own good nature or trustworthy face).

Feel free to ask questions here or post what you would like to see about your potential involvement.

Submissions will be accepted through May 7th. I'll make a determination when if this can go forward, and to what extent.

Site Admin

Re: You probably REALLY REALLY want to read this one. Really.

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:50 am

Okay, stop moving things Rick! The West Coast is still working through our coffee! 8)

Just shot you a note, but to be more specific:

- creatively (submission of new content including artistic and documentary work) -- Yes, both editorial and photographic.
- professionally (in terms of web work, database design/editing, and/or sound/video editing) - Sound and video editing
- managerially (in terms of filtering/editing or pulling together possibly widely disparate contributions or material) Yep. More than happy to help here.
- as a librarian/retrofitter, in transforming/clarifying existing material.
- editorially, as one of the caretakers of the forums like Steve or in maintaining one's own forum like Jan
- financially, as a supporter of either the mystery project or in contributing to the minimal cost of site hosting I can toss a few bucks here and there. Let's discuss privately.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Hey Rick,

I've been away for a while dealing with my (un)employment situation, grad school, and the like, but I'm going to take some time and let you know in a few days what I'd like to do for you and Harlan going forward. My experience moderating the SPIDER forum has largely been spent admiring Jan's excellent handiwork, but I would like to get more involved. Give me a few days to think about what I'd like to do.

One thing that I've been thinking about, though: At some point, Harlan is going to shuffle off into Whatever Awaits Us All In The Great Beyond. I know for a fact that a certain type of enemy, fan, or what have you will take that opportunity to come to this site, drop trou, and pile it on, if you know what I mean. That would be profoundly distressful to the rest of us. We need to think of a way to deal with that, even if it is (as we hope) not for several more years.

Beginning the thinking process... 3..2..1..NOW...

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:42 pm

Yeah, there is really no rush, other than this doesn't move forward until I have enough buy-in from people. I don't have a lot of free time between now and May so it doesn't really matter when I hear from someone. And I won't really know the extent of what will be needed until then either.

I am also not expecting any firm commitments. This is really just a hurdle to keep a certain level of under-your-hattedness going on here. The only thing I really want to know is what you'd be willing to take on *provided* this turns out in your opinion to be a legit venture. I'm not super interested in being a dick to anyone who decides at any point they are out. I just want to know if there might be a rain-on-Thursday chance they'd be in.

And regardless of the outcome, it's meaningful to me to see who offers to help BEFORE word gets out as to whether or not this is a Big Thing.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Check your email Mr Wyatt.

debbie

Postby debbie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Rick,

I don't think we've ever met, and I rarely post, but I've been here, sitting in the background, for most of the time the website been here. I wish I could help with technical issues, but I don't have a computer at home. I can help, at least some, with financial issues, and I do have some photos of Harlan at conventions that I'd be willing to post. It's not much, but I'd like to help if I can.

debbie yerkes

swp

Postby swp » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:04 pm

Rick,

I want to help, so I'll follow Steve B's example and take these one at a time:

-- creatively (submission of new content including artistic and documentary work)

probably not, others are better suited time-wise and more capable in general. Barney, Steve, Dave, Jan, etc.

-- professionally (in terms of web work, database design/editing, and/or sound/video editing)

Web work and database design/editing are my bread and butter. My php is a little rusty, but it's like riding a bike. Your choice of db and other architectural design issues (that's behind the scenes stuff, Frank) is certainly something I would like to have input into, even if I don't get a vote in the end. And speaking of voting, I believe that any systems/software project should go by the "one man, one vote" rule - and you're the man! (Too subtle a Lord Vetinari reference?) Seriously though, you need to be a benevolent dictator and make sure everyone understands that going into this.

-- managerially (in terms of filtering/editing or pulling together possibly widely disparate contributions or material)

meh. Filtering I can do, editing I can do. I don't prefer it. But I am willing to contribute where you need it most, and if no one else is willing or able then I'll do it.

-- as a librarian/retrofitter, in transforming/clarifying existing material.

no, sorry. see answer under "creatively" above

-- editorially, as one of the caretakers of the forums like Steve or in maintaining one's own forum like Jan

no, sorry. see answer under "creatively" above

-- financially, as a supporter of either the mystery project or in contributing to the minimal cost of site hosting

yes. I don't want you to talk out of school about this, but you need to put up round numbers for an expectation level here. Steve B and I are both capable, certainly, and others maybe less so, but even if someone only wants to contribute a dollar in the spirit of things . But we don't have unlimited pockets. Is there a total overall cost in the tens, hundreds, or thousands? How much percentage wise are you looking to get covered? Are you offering incentives for people who do contribute monitarily, and if so in what form? If this doesn't come to fruition, what happens to the money? There are probably a lot of other questions, but the bottom line is you need to be transparent on this issue for everyone's sake. You're probably already planning on that, but it's best said often I think.

The most important part of each aspect above is that you are the boss and will have the final say in all matters.

swp

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks guys! I wish I could do more right now but I'm tied up for another couple weeks.

Steve, as I said on LinkedIn you were already on my short list for web stuff. I'm going to be opening up some stuff soon to the people that put their hat in the ring. Should answer most of your questions. Feel free to email me with anything that might be worrying you though.

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:48 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Check your email Mr Wyatt.

Ditto.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Just sent you a note Rick

I'm in
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:45 am

Did the original thread just go missing?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:22 am

Jan wrote:Did the original thread just go missing?

No. The thread is now entitled "never mind".
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:42 pm

I've got everyone down so far and some info will be going out Sunday or Monday probably.

Thanks so much!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:51 am

Rick, I'd help if I was not poor. I will give moral support.

Duane

Postby Duane » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Frank, we'll definitely need you around here, even if it's just your presence. Peace, bro! :D

Return to “General”