Can I ask a serious question?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Can I ask a serious question?

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:20 pm

I don't expect anyone to break any confidences but should we be worried about HE?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

diane bartels

Re: Can I ask a serious question?

Postby diane bartels » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:48 am

I have no extra kbowledge Ezra, beyond what I glean from these pages like all you guys, but I'm terrified for Harlan about Harlan. I have been intimately acquainted with deep clinical depression and the ways in which it can stem from and amplify physical illness. Harlan's tone since right before Madcon has freaked me out; I detect despair and lassisstude. I am not personally convinced that his docs., great as they may be, have pinpointed his illness. And what ever they are doing doing for the depression doesnt seem to be working. I am writing him a snail mail tonite sharing all this and more. But I dont think expressions of concern and esteem to the man would be at all out of line. Someone more in the know than I can correct me if I am wrong.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:39 am

Being someone who has clinical depression, HE certainly comes across as depressed to me. Normally, that's fairly easily treated. I take one medication and it works for me without any noticable side effects.

Other's mileage may vary. My nephew was a big lump of apathy for some time until his doctor put him on ADHD medication. Suddenly, he became a human dynamo. He might actually have a future now. Sometimes, it's hard to pin down what's going on with someone.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:18 am

I thought Harlan was the spray that killed depression dead. I do think you guys may be right.

Harlan may also be afraid of the future--we cannot blame him for that, because it scares me shitless as well. He wants Susan to be happy and is worried for her as well. Susan knows the insides we will never see.

Return to “General”