Close your eyes. What do you see?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:10 am

I’m curious. I’ve been thinking hard about my personal perception of reality. My questions regarding truth versus imagination or false perception have become most evident when I close my eyes during attempts at meditation. There are roiling faces and bright piercing eyes that morph and swim grotesque and beautiful behind my shuttered lids; these apparitions have commanded my attention for decades.

I’ve never discussed this phenomenon with anyone except for you, my friend.

So my desperate question is:

“Close your eyes. What do you see?”

Tim Raven

Site Admin

Re: Close your eyes. What do you see?

Postby Moderator » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:17 am

There are two possible answers to this question, Tim. One easy, the other more complex.

Easy: I see darkness.

More complex: I see the afterimage of whatever lit objects I was viewing before shutting my eyes. Then, if time and my imagination are allowed, I begin to see swirls of colors, radiating through my imagination. Slips of colors and patterns, moving against a wall of dark. Through force of will I can conjure and create something if I wish, but if I let it go rampant, decide for itself, the visions begin to dance until they slowly, and finally fade to dark. If perchance, I put my hands to my eyes to cover them yet further, I see a rorschach pattern of black and white, slipping and sliding against the dark velvet backdrop. As my eyes move, the image leaps and falls, sliding sideways out of the view and replaced with yet another image until they, too, die and fade into the blackness.

Gotta love Vicodin.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:33 am

Steve, with the excruciating back pain you must be experiencing, the Docs are fucking evil to only give you "kinda lame" Vicodan. Where is the fucking Morphine to make the pain go away?

Your observations are very scientific and accurate and I agree with each conclusion. This is the early, first level of perception.

Tim Raven

p.s. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery, and if you have any cool drugs left over, please feel free to invite me to the after party...*g*

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:37 am

Actually, the vicodin was my request. I could have gotten Tylenol 3 or other somesuch, but I've had vicodin a number of times before (for various injuries and surgeries) and it does the trick for me. They gave me morphine in the ER and that didn't seem to work as well, though I agree that a full tank of morphine makes one VERY comfortable.

This is good for now, but my doctor noted that there's a whole different level left to explore of pain meds if needed.

Stay tuned! :twisted:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:50 am

Tim

I never thought I'd be telling anyone but my best friend this, but you asked so here it goes.

Nine times outta ten I see nothing. But that tenth time is amazing. I don't know what causes it, but I tend to see patches of the most beautiful coboalt blue and kelly green. They dance in what would have been my field of vision and tend to switch up rather rapidly. If I follow 'em with my eyes, they move quite rapidly as well.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:50 pm

That depends on how long I've been staring at the screen. Generally there's just the after-image effect. You know, like the one with the yellow and blue flag, and it appears to be the proper colors...
Other times, it's just dark, until I open my eyes.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:37 pm

Stars.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:11 am

Steve, how full of stars is it? :P

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:47 am

I see dead people.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:06 pm

I see dead atheists. haha.

-----------

Don't forget the things your imagination can bring on. You can see lands far and wide. You can see pretty girls, nude or semi-nude. You can see puppies or porches or bisquits and gravy or you can see a great black curtain, then waterfalls of pure light.

What you see is mostly what you are or have become.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Sarah Palin can see Russia!
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Return to “General”