College Depression

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Kafkahead

College Depression

Postby Kafkahead » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:33 am

I've been having a horrible case of writer's block. I've been writing down every single idea for the past two years I've become an amateur writer (in both senses of the word-I've a love for the craft, but I fumble like any beginner). Up until these past two weeks, that is, when my creative flow just stopped. No more ideas. Not a single trickle, with the exception of a story idea which involves Sawney Beane (can't tell anything else about it). But it's what I'm feeling that is leaving me depressed. My brain feels empty of critical thought. Everything is gray, awfully gray: the only sort of thoughts that pop up are about the up-coming tests or "what's for lunch". Typical stuff, true, but I also thought of this when I was catching around some ideas for short stories.
It just seems so bland, my life like this. I need some advice, as quickly as possible.

K.

Site Admin

Re: College Depression

Postby Moderator » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:00 am

Perhaps this is your brain's way of suggesting you stop writing down ideas for stories and actually write one of the stories you've outlined?

Ideas are fundamentally important, but if all you do is come up with something and move on it's ultimately not creatively rewarding. What is rewarding would the be the follow through and completion of the idea, thereby rewarding yourself for the initial part.

If, on the other hand, you have been writing the stories, take advantage of the block and go back to edit and rewrite your previous work and make it better. This can always be done.

Ray Bradbury once observed:
My stories run up and bite me on the leg - I respond by writing down everything that goes on during the bite. When I finish, the idea lets go and runs off.
Ray Bradbury
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:44 pm

At least you've been writing stuff. I haven't written a damn thing in two months. And haven't had a really new idea in probably a year. It's probably the absence of a manual typewriter. The laptop just doesn't do it for me.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:18 pm

You're horny, that's my prediction.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:10 pm

Jesus Christ Frank is there any discussion you can't derail with adolescent inuendo?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:10 pm

Steve Evil, darn.

Kafka, remember, you have a long life to live. You will have time to get the muse under control. If it is what God wants for you it will come to pass. You are either given gifts or you are not. Look for the apple with no worms. Just hope that austerity doesn't bring your neck of the woods under.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:32 pm

Kafka

Even if it's only the first few sentences, write when you get the urge to do so. Planning and plotting can only go so far.

Some of the best writers reccomend a page a day, some reccomend a thousand words. Just figure out what works for you and goe with it!

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Actually, that germ of an idea you pitched to me might bear some interesting fruit, mixaphorically speaking. Whatever you go with, try fleshing one of those ideas out. Write a whole story. That might loosen the log jam.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Duane

Postby Duane » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:43 pm

"It's not motivation one needs; it's motion. Motion will provide its own motivation." Not sure who said those words, but they have worked miracles for me. For the longest time, I waited to feel the flash of inspiration before sitting down. Bad idea.

For 15 minutes a day, just WRITE. Don't worry about what it is, or if it's a story or not. Once you get into the habit, you'll find yourself feeling antsy if you don't write daily. It's like pushing a car out of the mud; you have to build momentum first, but after a time, the car will move. Motion, not motivation.

Duane

Postby Duane » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:02 pm

>> The laptop just doesn't do it for me. <<

A normal sized computer keyboard plugged into one of the laptop's ports might help you, Steve. Unless, like our Patron Author, you are truly Old School!

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:23 pm

I'll have to do a bit more research on it, but over the weekend I heard about a guy who is trying to sell manual typewriter keyboards that he's modified to work with laptops and other types of computers.

Stay tuned!

Return to “General”