Defeinding bad behaviour (part 2)

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Re: Defeinding bad behaviour (part 2)

Postby markabaddon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:39 pm

Over at Mental Floss, they have the scene from Pump Up the Volume embedded where Christian Slater rails against why suicide is such a bad option. Great scene, and a powerful message to send to kids.

Keeney, if it makes you feel any better, I will confirm that you are, in fact, irritating as hell (and no more trying to stick stuff on my tab, or you will not be invited over any longer)
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Ezra Lb.

Re: i think

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Rick Keeney wrote:I think it would be a sure sign of group maturation if we would all learn that not replying to trolls is the best policy. Harlan and Rick have repeatedly ask that we leave off rejoindering with the fuck nuggets, but we just keep doing it. Even those I deem "the best of us" continue to do so. The bastards are sustained by any reaction, whether ours or Harlan's.

On the other hand, the bastards wilt from lack of attention.

Yeah but there is such a thing as art for art's sake. I thought my response was rather witty. Half is better than none.

Steve Evil wrote:It's anti-bully week here in the UK. I tried to talk to my Grade 4's about it; I fear the only ones who got the point were the ones who didn't need to. . .

November is National Novel Writing Month. Can anyone think of a great novel written in the space of a month? That isn't a rhetorical question.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Maybe Steve

But, you cannot measure the FUTURE impact your words may have on your students. So good on you my man!

But, damn, don't I wish I had a teacher named Steve Evil in my school days.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Half is better than none.

Half...wit?

Point well-taken, EP.

Goldberg...urp.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:November is National Novel Writing Month. Can anyone think of a great novel written in the space of a month? That isn't a rhetorical question.

Farenheit 451? I seem to recall it was written in a very short period of time. . .

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Rick Keeney wrote:But, damn, don't I wish I had a teacher named Steve Evil in my school days.

I'm the teacher EVERYONE wishes they had!

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:48 am

Mental Floss' list of great novel written in under a month:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/73299
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:12 pm

You can get quite a lot done in a month. If you stick with it, that's seven hundred and twenty hours of writing there. . .

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:40 pm

Novels under a month?

Most of Georges Simenon's books were written in well under a month. If I recall his Paris Review interview correctly, a novel usually took him about two weeks.

Bests,

--tr
--tr

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:59 pm

He didn't write about vampires going to the teen bop party, so he would be scrabling for coinage in this age.

-----------

Always wipe your mouth after spitting on anything sacred.

Return to “General”