Can't everyone just be nice?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Can't everyone just be nice?

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:05 am

I went to the Rally to Restore Sanity yesterday.

You probably had a better view on the TV so let me just ask some questions.

1. When does Please Be Nice become Please stop arguing so I can ignore the issues and not have to think?

2. This was much more diverse crowd than the Tea Party Rally. Much more representative of the nation as a whole. However the demographic definitely skewered towards young adults. 20-25, The prime Stewart/Colbert audience. There was a break open the keg, party ambiance about the whole thing which is fine, buuuuuuut...

How many of these folks are actually going to vote on Tues?

3. Do you suppose Cat Stevens still thinks Salmon Rushdie should be killed for writing SATANIC VERSES? He lies now and says he didn't say it but CBS has him on tape, bastard.

4. The crowd was the same if not larger than the Tea Party crowd. Beck said 500,000 which is bullshit. I would say 125,000 Tea Partiers at the most which means the Sanity crowd was larger. But so what? The Tea Party is angry and going to vote. The Sanity folks are much nicer to hang out with. But why does everything have to couched in terms of entertainment and a show? The main worry seems to be that you won't be perceived as hip and in on the joke.

I'm sorry if I seem cynical. Nothing would please me more than to be proven wrong. We'll see.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Re: Can't everyone just be nice?

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:54 am

Did it seem to you more like a party than an actual political event?

swp

Postby swp » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:09 pm

news from the ground:
Keith M Cramer, @1:04pm on Facebook wrote:I'm on the ground 5 secnds and got a huge wiff of pot.
so yes, a 'party' atmosphere to be sure.

Later, he posted that someone also put a Vote2010 bumper sticker in his pocket without him noticing as well. But I'll let him speak for himself since he was there.

The crowd. They aren't voters, or non-voters, but they did all make funny signs. I'm sure there is a website out there with nice pictures of them. The signs, not the people that is.

I think the only good part of the whole event was Stewart's monolog/rant at the end.
swp

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:46 pm

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:57 am

Glad to read the Guardian took an interest. Virtually no coverage outside DC in the mythical "Libruhl" media.

Beck has 1/2 the attendance, four times the coverage.

And what little coverage there HAS been "Should a comedian be doing this sort of thing?"
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 am

Keith went? Great, I would love to hear his reaction.

I'm not part of Jon Stewart's target audience, I'll admit it. Everything I say should be intepreted through that aspect. But the more I think about it the more I have to ask, what's the point?

If the left/liberals were any more civil someone would be measuring them for a coffin. In fact, someone IS measuring them for a coffin. On Tues the few people left who bother to vote are going to hand over the House of Reps and possibly the Senate to the most reactionary, ignorant part of our society. I would prefer the left/liberals be angry and motivated, educated and involved.

The Guardian was right. The Metro folks were clueless. Apparently they were the only folks unaware the event was scheduled.

Barber wrote:Glad to read the Guardian took an interest. Virtually no coverage outside DC in the mythical "Libruhl" media.

Beck has 1/2 the attendance, four times the coverage.

And what little coverage there HAS been "Should a comedian be doing this sort of thing?"

Yeah but why would the other networks give free publicity to a non-political comedy show? That's what it was, right?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

swp

Postby swp » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:03 am

swp

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:21 am

Personally, I prefer these signs from the rally:

http://blastr.com/2010/11/27-greatest-g ... lly.php#18
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 pm

The nice cult is the problem. Being nice is not important, only being truthful.

Oprah and her cult of nice. You can be a billionaire, as long as you have some mushy, new-agie christian belief. Eckart Tolle is Satan.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:01 pm

Hugs Ezra. mmmm

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:11 pm

I think this guy nails it. Could someone forward it to Obama?

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 23395.html

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:55 pm

I will note a very positive aspect of the Republican bids for Senate and the Governorship of California.

Meg and Carly together donated nearly $150M of their own money to the state economy. (Otherwise, it would have undoubtedly rested in some New York bank/financial services firm and been used to pay senior executives outrageous bonuses.) This would seem to be a wonderful act of civic (state?) duty, since there's no way the offices they sought would have reimbursed them adequately. Well, directly...at least.

On behalf of the television and radio networks, Meg and Carly, thank you for your work to preserve jobs in our fair state.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:17 pm

I'd rather see that money go to schools.

swp

Postby swp » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Now Steve, let's not forget all of those sign makers as well. Those are good, honest jobs. And those people pay taxes, usually. It's not just the elite media (aka television), and its seldom-mentioned-in-polite-company uncle (aka radio), who benefitted from all this election season hooplah. Many little guys got up ticks in their business, and a few have actually (hard as it may seem to believe) even been paid by the various campaigns.

But the real winners in all this, undisputably, are the fine men and women of our cities waste management departments who now get to clean up all this probably-not-for-recycling mess that has littered the sides of our roads and neighbors lawns.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
swp

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Well, let's hope the recyclers get a piece of the action.

A huge misnomer is the concept that a dollar only goes one step and stops. For example: "I'd rather see that money go to schools."

It will. In the form of taxes paid to the state. It will also put food on the table for many people -- not only for the media employees and shareholders, but for those places they will spend that money.

(I always laugh -- sometimes to their face -- at the people who say we shouldn't be spending taxpayer money on the Space program. They seem to labor under the delusion that the money isn't going to wages, but is somehow being packaged up and launched bodily into space on the shuttle. They don't believe that every dime -- every dime -- is spent here on earth, and largely paid to American companies who employ American workers -- who are working at skilled-labor jobs making a decent wage. Sadly, the more we cut back on that sort of thing the more workers need to rely upon unskilled labor job markets...

Return to “General”