Going gently into that dark night?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Re: Going gently into that dark night?

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Markie

While I've got your attention, what's goin on with your Phillies.... We've only got one more game to win before those little boys are back in the outfield!

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Baseball? World Series and all of that? It is shameful what I don't know of sports, even though I can actually play some of them.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Yeah Neon, baseball.

Mark was giving me grief because he thought that his baseball team would have won the pennant and been on the way to the World Series by now, and MY GIANTS kicked more serious butt that he thought.

swp

Postby swp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:MY GIANTS kicked more serious butt that he thought.
so, about that game last night...

Halladay pitched with a groin injury, and still did a pretty decent job. Not so much for the long haired wonder. The bats, once awoken, are just as good on both sides. Problem is, the Giants may have hit themselves out already and the local boys in blue are just waking up. Pitching will decide this, and the Giants have to beat Oswalt and Hammels at home which doesn't happen very often. Of course, the other side does have two really good hurlers going up and a certain black bearded closer that has a great slide away fader which Joe Buck hasn't been able to classify yet and no one seems to be able to get a hit against.

In the end, I think this will go to 7 games and will be decided in the bottom of the 9th in game 7. Sorry, that's how I see it.

Keep in mind, all of this is from a life-long CUBS fan who just happens to live about 3.5 miles from where the Sillies play.

swp

p.s. Whoever wins will have to face Texas, which will win the world series in 5 games no matter who they play.
swp

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Lori, sweetie, mumashayna, precious, you really don't want to start trash talking me, now do you? Remember honey I was raised playing basketball on the courts of Philly, smack talk is a second language to me

That being said, I would place the chances of my Phillies winning both games at around 40% currently. The Giants have incredible pitching and are capable of shutting down the Phillies bats, especially Jonathan "Dirty" Sanchez. That being said, if the Phils win game 6, the odds shift to their favor for game 7. As a point of reference, inclduing the last 2 games in this series, West Coast teams are 4-21 in their last 25 playoffs games on the East Coast. Not a good record there
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:07 am

I come from Cleveland Ohio; we suck.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm from Atlanta...-sigh-
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:34 pm

*hugs*

Ez,

The Braves have been known to do good things.... And ya can always look on the bright side, you' ve got Paula Dean after all..

Return to “General”