Going gently into that dark night?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

NeonMosfet

Re: Going gently into that dark night?

Postby NeonMosfet » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:41 pm

I know. But what is germaine is that, the eighties seem to be the new yard stick for positively old age.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:44 pm

FrankChurch wrote:
Culturally, Mr. Curtis hasn't been with us for years.

Snarky, Frank. I'm sure at his level of success Curtis took jobs when he wished and lived as he wished. A wonderful actor. Underrated probably because he was so pretty.

NeonMosfet wrote:
But what is germaine is that, the eighties seem to be the new yard stick for positively old age.

My dad just turned the big Eight-O. He's definitely slowed down and has his aches and pains but he's still sharp. That good ole country Southern Baptist lifestyle. No drinking, no smoking. No carousing.

I'll never make it.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:My dad just turned the big Eight-O. He's definitely slowed down and has his aches and pains but he's still sharp. That good ole country Southern Baptist lifestyle. No drinking, no smoking. No carousing.

I'll never make it.

You might want to rethink the drinking part :? :
http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 32,00.html

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote: My dad just turned the big Eight-O. He's definitely slowed down and has his aches and pains but he's still sharp. That good ole country Southern Baptist lifestyle. No drinking, no smoking. No carousing.

I'll never make it.

Dude

I plan on living up to at least half of forever. YOU MUST make it to eighty. I'm gonna need some company after all.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:23 pm

(I had a few private messages and e-mails this week regarding Harlan's health. Since he made it something to be addressed rather than to be ignored and since people were asking me I thought I would re-post a response I just sent someone who never posts back here rather than typing variations - and let this one stand as my half-assed "official" response to any and all such questions.)

*********************************************************************************

***IF*** he is pining for the fjords he never did say (or imply) from what. He is down to his honest-to-god proper fighting weight somewhere around 150. Weight and waste line wise he is better than I have ever seen him - going back to 1978. If he doesn't keep losing weight it just means he has FINALLY gotten his bad eating habits under control.

The hand shaking could be a (slight) side effect of the diabetes. It's not anything crippling. He's FAR more steady on his feet than he was when I saw him in Cleveland when I actually was asked to hold his arm as we descended stairs. That was an UN-healthy Harlan.

This weekend he gave me an embrace that would have cracked ribs on a lesser man than yours truly.

So, if he is not long for this world he is playing it VERY close to the vest. Is he sick of conventions and fan glad handing and signing his name? Oh, my, yes indeed. Is he ready for the Big Dirt Nap? I'm not writing eulogies.

My Mom is upstairs dying of Bright's disease (and a few other things) and Christopher Hitchen's has the Big C and I lost two other friends this year and saw two others hospitalized with bad odds so I feel like I know what Death looks like in the near term - and I (thankfully) didn't see it in Wisconsin last weekend.

And if I'm wrong - well what better thing to be wrong about? I'd rather be wrong than dire.

- Barney
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:06 am

Amen. . .

I learned a long time ago that to anticipate the end of something too far in advance just starts the mourning process early.

Last week, an aunt of mine died of melanoma. I didn't know her well, only met a hnadfull of times in my life, but do remember that she was a lovely woman who radiated warmth and friendliness, and I have no doubt the world is colder without her.

Last spring, my favourate singer and lyricists died of stomach cancer, and the world is quieter without him.

My father is almost seventy, and has had a history of cancer. My mother is in her sixties, and smoked when she was younger. My grandmother is almost ninety. There will be a time in the not too distant future, when I will have to learn to live without these people.

Nor is the time too far distant when I will open the paper and read of the passing of any number of people who have influenced me and given my life meaning over the years, of Ray Bradbury, Tom Baker, Lemmy and yes, Unca Harlan.

I myself am no longer a child, but a grown man rushing headfirst into middle age, and will soon be soon staring my own exit in the face in no time at all.

It will all come soon enough without clamouring for it. I refuse to wake up every morning wondering "is it today?", or go to bed thinking "will it be tomorrow?"
There will be time enough to mourn after the fact.

In the meantime - Harlan Ellison IS ALIVE.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:19 am

Excellent posts.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:25 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:FrankChurch wrote:
Culturally, Mr. Curtis hasn't been with us for years.

Snarky, Frank. I'm sure at his level of success Curtis took jobs when he wished and lived as he wished. A wonderful actor. Underrated probably because he was so pretty.

NeonMosfet wrote:
But what is germaine is that, the eighties seem to be the new yard stick for positively old age.

My dad just turned the big Eight-O. He's definitely slowed down and has his aches and pains but he's still sharp. That good ole country Southern Baptist lifestyle. No drinking, no smoking. No carousing.

I'll never make it.
not make it? I'm 56 and didn't think I'd live this long.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:26 pm

To paraphrase a friend of mine from a few years ago: if I had known I was going to live this long, i soooo woulda taken better care of myself. Like in my case the whole years long Tequila flirtation... woulda skipped it. Who knew i'd wind up needing those brain cell? lol

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Another quote I read along the same vein was, "If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of my car."

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:04 pm

I want to be laid in my coffin face down, and I want an open casket funeral. That way the world has one last chance to kiss my ass!

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:57 pm

lorilorilori

hi neon

what EvilStevil said about the grieving process. it had me kinda fucked up last week. and the Man is still with us. effed up.

peace,
Rick

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:08 pm

:twisted: What did I do now Mr. K?!?!?!?!?!?! :twisted:

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:12 am

Hey, didn't Harlan once say that some psychic predicted that he would be bEheaded at the age of 77, or something remotely similar? I hope he doesn't really believe that stuff.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 am

Well, the World Court has to catch him first. He's tricky that way. I suppose it's not too late to stir up a proper fatwah though -- if anyone could manage it, probably as a one-liner, it'd be HE. :lol:

Return to “General”