Going gently into that dark night?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

eric_m_allen

Going gently into that dark night?

Postby eric_m_allen » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:59 pm

“The truth of what’s going on here is that I’m dying,” Ellison told The Daily Page. “I’m like the Wicked Witch of the West — I’m melting. I began to sense it back in January. By that time, I had agreed to do the convention. And I said, I can make it. I can make it.’”

So, ladies and gentlemen, looks like he's not getting dragged kicking and screaming...

so, goodbye, and thanks, Harlan. You had a really great run. We'll miss you, but your words will live on.

eric_m_allen

Re: Going gently into that dark night?

Postby eric_m_allen » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:01 pm

eric_m_allen

Postby eric_m_allen » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:04 pm

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment. A blessing of the 18th Egyptian Dynasty: God be between you and harm in all the empty places you walk." Harlan Ellison-"Paladin of the Lost Hour"

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:08 pm

Eric -
I suspect this might be premature, but I understand the heartfelt wishes.

Only time will tell.

Steve B
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

eric_m_allen

Postby eric_m_allen » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:15 pm

Doubt it-Harlan isn't one to bullshit about real stuff. Well. maybe a little.
I'm going to humor the old man and go along with it.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:26 pm

We're all dying eric. It may simply be that Mr Ellison is feeling his age and his mortality. But he's not facing anything that we all will not one day face. I don't know how old you are but 20 & 30 somethings die very day.

What a horror life is! The reward for a long productive life is the slow dissolution of all that we know and love. Who could stare into the abyss and not be shattered by it? Especially someone who has always lived life wide open like HE.

Let's see how we face it.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:30 am

Let's hold our applause 'till the curtain actually falls?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:40 am

I hope to God Harlan is just using dark humour, since I avoided Madcon because I felt unwelcome. I do want to one day meet Harlan. If it never happens I may find my own rope.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:28 am

I'm absolutely with Steve Evil on this one.

It sounds as if Harlan is rocking the stage at MadCon, though the shaky hand thing bugs me because I know it's because he's not eating properly. I do feel for the folks who are seeing him for the first time in a few years. He's lost a LOT of weight which must be a shock. He needed to lose it -- as do I frankly -- and if you've not seen him in a while the difference is stark.

But he's still in there, the Harlan Ellison of old (pun intended). Glad to see he's out for the weekend.

I also am daring to think that he IS setting up for a quiet few waning years "cuddling with Susan" as was noted on the Pav.

Time will tell.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:49 am

Frank

You do realize that the best tribute you could give Harlan is to live the life you think he'd want you to if you and he were friends.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear God

You know just how close I am to NOT believing in you, but that's not what this is about this timeout.

I just have one favor to ask of you. It's kinda selfish, but then when aren't prayers selfish?

If you could see fit to let me meet Harlan just once. All I want is about 5 minutes of his time. I really would like to let him know just how much of an effect he and his writing have had on my life. You know as well as I, that any thing that could be considered decent and good about me and the way I live has a lot to do with him.

But, if you can't do that, please let his remaining time here be everything he would like it to be. Make sure that he's surrounded by the people and things he loves, and that when the final time comes, let him have the peace he so richly deserves.

Ok, so that's kinda two things, but I didn't think you'd mind!

Lori

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:05 pm

I hope he's okay.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Neon

I'm sure he's fine, but he is getting close to the the end. How many people do you know that live beyond 80. There are a few of them, but we haven't got a way of knowing if we are gonna be one of 'em.

I think he's just doing what people his age do. We are all gonna have to confront our mortality some time. if 76 isn't a good age to do it, then what is?

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:47 pm

76 isn't that old. not any more.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:07 pm

That depends on how hard you lived Neon. And besides I doubt that Harlan is the kind of guy who wants a lot of extra froofraw to be keepin him alive.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:59 pm

And you have to take family medcial history into account. Harlan's dad died right in front of him from a massive heart attack when the boy was only 12 or 13. His mother lived much longer, though, to the middle 70's.

Only time will tell.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “General”