HARLAN'S TYPEWRITER

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Re: HARLAN'S TYPEWRITER

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:19 am

Some more food for thought.

Christie's sold Cormac McCarthy's typewriter (his primary one, however - big difference in magnitude) - for $254,500 back in December. The estimate was $20,000. HOWEVER, proceeds went to charity (not sure if that was pre-announced).

Kerouac's last typewriter - mostly used for “Vanity of Duluoz” and letters in the last three years of his life - went through Christie's for $22,500.

Updike's typewriter - only lightly used (the ribbon had only been passed once on it before he gave it to a daughter) - via Christie's - sold for $4,375, with half the proceeds offered to the New York Public Library before the auction.

Flavorwire details a couple more here: http://flavorwire.com/100718/when-famou ... or-auction

Heritage moved Tennessee Williams' Underwood portable - the one he wrote Cat On a Hot Tin Roof on - for $4481 in 2005. Estimate was $3 to $6k. (And the story of the typewriter and how the consignee got it - Williams gave it to him to write a play - is interesting.) Would it go for more today? Couldn't say. Harlan has worked with Heritage before, so they're a known quantity.

Profiles In History may have the deeper audience - historical, literary AND pop culture - than many, which might mean for Harlan the combination of both deep and grossly interested pockets. But they also don't have anything auctions upcoming (they're handling the LOST auction at the moment, or just handled.)

Okay - need to go do the actual paying work now.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:35 pm

Someone mentioned Warehouse 13 for Harlan's Typewriter and it got me wondering.... What powers would such an artifact impart to its owner? All those weird ass stories that were written on it, the articles and fanzines. Should it have absorbed some of that strangeness or would it allow it back out into the world of whomsoever should type upon it?

Yeahy, I know. I need to get out more

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:14 pm

Yeah, I know. I need to get out more

Actually, it sounds like an intriguing premise, done right.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:42 pm

The world is holy! The soul is holy! The skin is holy!
The nose is holy! The tongue and cock and hand
and asshole holy!

Everything is holy! everybody's holy! everywhere is
holy! everyday is in eternity! Everyman's an
angel!

The bum's as holy as the seraphim! the madman is
holy as you my soul are holy!

The typewriter is holy the poem is holy the voice is
holy the hearers are holy the ecstasy is holy!

-Footnote To Howl by Allen Ginsberg
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

David Silver

Re: HARLAN'S TYPEWRITER - the sale is ON!

Postby David Silver » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:26 am

Okay, the typewriter information and sales page IS up and working...

...poor Steve was having problems with his own personal computer gremlins this morning, and then scrambled to suggest an alternative route to the page, but THIS remains the correct URL for the typewriter information and sales page:

http://www.photographyhistory.com/harla ... riter.html

I was pleased to see several blogs go forth with the story this morning, and the link is working on all of them. So far so good. AND I've already received a few interesting, though probably not productive in the long run, inquiries about the typewriter, mostly just "tire kicking", and that's exactly what I'd expect. However, please don't just make blanket shout-outs in your blogs and newsgroups that the typewriter is for sale. The point of your promoting the event is to inform the public as much as possible why this item is important and invaluable, and that means putting in it in some sort of literary historical perspective. The person who paid $254,000 for Cormac McCarthy's career typewriter, for example, was clearly informed and understood the deep rooted historical importance. We weren't looking at some mad millionaire on a spending jag, but an aggressive and intelligent pursuit at preservation by an intelligent buyer who knew exactly what they were doing. And remember, there was another equally informed combatant right behind! So please try to put this sale in perspective, and remember that a well informed public WILL produce confident and informed buyers. Thanks!
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:30 pm

I'll have to see if I can find the link again, but I found a guy here in San Francisco who is to typewriters what our Mr. Silver is to cameras. I'm not too sure that Harlan would get the full price he's asking for, but at least we can ask him to spread the word about the sale, and we know that this dude has people who are interested.

I'll get back to ya all once I track down the link!

Return to “General”