HARLAN'S TYPEWRITER

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

HARLAN'S TYPEWRITER

Postby Moderator » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:20 pm

Please use this thread for multiple thought-posts in deference to overwhelming the Pav.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Re: HARLAN'S TYPEWRITER

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:24 pm

I'll be of no use here. I have no such sum to offer, and know jack all about selling shit. Hope he makes a bundle.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:26 pm

John Fund of the Wall Street Journal is a fan. He may know somebody. You know what big dogs those neo-cons role with.

Either Harlan or Susan have a huge medical bill that they need paid off or something. Worried, people.

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:27 pm

I think Sandra's suggestion of an antiques (think memorabilia) agent is a good one. barring that, Sotheby's or even Ebay.
Change is a dragon. You can ignore it, which is futile. You can fight it, in which case you will lose. Or you can ride it.

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:29 pm

FrankChurch wrote:John Fund of the Wall Street Journal is a fan. He may know somebody. You know what big dogs those neo-cons role with.

Either Harlan or Susan have a huge medical bill that they need paid off or something. Worried, people.

Oh for christ's sake, Frank, chill. stop stirring the fucking pot.
Change is a dragon. You can ignore it, which is futile. You can fight it, in which case you will lose. Or you can ride it.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:35 pm

Yeah, for all we know, this is mainly about posterity, and he'd like to make some money on the side.

Or maybe he's made some last-minute alterations to THE KEEP.

Who knows?

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:38 pm

I forgot about the Keep!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:38 pm

Auction houses want a cut, right?

alan in largo

Postby alan in largo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:51 pm

Frank,why don't you take a shot at your idea.Can you find him online tonight?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:58 pm

If we're talking online auction entities, there's Ebay, Ebid, Online Auction.com, WeBidz, ePier.

Auction houses, there's the afore-mentioned Christie's and Sotheby's, which has auction houses worldwide, including two in the US.

Then there is Clark Cierlak Fine Arts right in Sherman Oaks. 14452 Ventura Blvd. Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

(818) 783-3052 Fax 783-3162

I don't know if they do typewriters, though.

TIFFANY AUCTION HOUSE
1201 South Grand Avenue
LOS ANGELES, CA 90015
(213) 746-1373

Then there's Shagin's friend in Portland.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:04 pm

The Pavilion suggestion of Profiles in History sounds pretty good, actually.

Chuck

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:15 pm

There you go Frank. You've impressed Alan. Why not put your collective heads together and see if they implode?

Loftus, what are you thinking?

Nice thing about craigslist: You can pick your price and tell folks there is no wiggle room. This is my set price for my typewriter; don't bother me with haggling. I'd use as many avenues as I could unless I decided on an auction.

remarck

Postby remarck » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:02 pm

Harlan could auction it off on Ebay AFTER he wrote a new 5 page story on it. He retains all rights, of course. Then he can do the same with his NEXT typewriter. And so on. And so on.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:16 pm

I'm of two minds.

On the one hand, a reputable auction house has the potential to bring in a variety of big-shot bidders, ranging from private collectors to institutions that might preserve the typewriter as a piece of literary history. (I'd automatically discount eBay, given the potential for people to fuck with him by bidding it up and not closing the deal, because eBay isn't a hard place to create a one-off ID for that purpose, and an ax grinder would for the sport of it, whereas a Sothebys, Christies or Heritage, among others, makes it more difficult to do so.)

There are several downsides to auctions, though: one, pre-auction valuation can be subjective with something like this, and what the auction house deems reasonable may or may not match seller expectation; two, your desired price isn't guaranteed unless you put a reserve on it, which may or may not affect the bidding; and three, the auction house is going to take a chunk of commission (while simultaneously taking a premium from the buyer in most cases - how did that system ever get in place?)

Now, a raffle on the surface may or may not sound like a goofy way to go, depending on your personal tastes; but it does offer some advantages. You can set your own goal, and then establish your per ticket price and number of tickets. You can set up your time frame (if you want a big was of cash, take three months to get the word out via the web; that also gives interested parties the opportunity to pull together their ducats to buy a ticket. A raffle may also appeal to a broader range of people: collectors who really want the typewriter for what it is, as well as speculators who would part with $20 for a chance to sell it for a hundred times as much or more. You'll also more than likely get interest from those who are willing to pay small amount X for a chance to win the typewriter, whereas they might just look wistfully at an auction that they know is going to outpace their budget in the first six seconds. And all proceeds go directly to the Ellisons. Now, a raffle doesn't necessarily accomplish the goal of Harlan seeking deep pockets, nor does it afford him a short time frame unless he scrambles to put something together, so his time factor is a variable. But it also doesn't really pick anyone's pocket, since it's all the luck of the draw for a small entry fee. Want to make it interesting? Limit it to one ticket a person, so the odds are completely even.

But either course, I think, is viable. One allows Harlan to more level-set his expectation and financial goal; the other will undoubtedly draw more high rollers.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:27 pm

My thoughts - libraries and museums. Northwestern U or the Newberry here. U of C.

A televised collectibles show such as PBS's Antiques Roadshow, with an interview with Harlan to sell the product.

An auction at Madcon, starting bid high.

Sadly, I shall not be bidding. Just replaced compressor on my a/c.

Hope this helps Harlan. Let me know if I can try to get Chicago contacts together.

It was cool talking with you all at once. DB

Return to “General”