Lesson from the Depths

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

K. M. Kirby

Lesson from the Depths

Postby K. M. Kirby » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:28 am

As it now appears that the gushing crude-crisis has reined itself in, something comes to mind regarding the various elements involved in this matter. Basically, in retrospect, extending the known facts into the realms of future possibilities/probabilities -- what's going to happen to all those undersea pipe openings after civilization no longer demands the black gold for its power requirements?

To put it simply, for some future generation that's forgotten all about the stuff, what will happen when all these shoddily-capped former wellheads decide to give way, again pumping megabarrels of brown goo upon a culture ill-equipped to go through complex robotic ballets for each of the spewing gushers?

In other words, given that America some day abandons the use of petroleum products, who will be there (in that imagined future century) to plug up all these Gulf of Mexico tap sites when they, most certainly, pop, rust through, whatever, and create an unstoppable global catastrophe that continues, decade after decade, until...??
--kk

Steve Evil

Re: Lesson from the Depths

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:07 am

With any luck science will save the day.

In the meantime, BP spills its coffee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7 ... r_embedded

swp

Postby swp » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:04 am

nanobots built by dolphins and octopi that use bands of color to communicate will correct the problem in their domain. 8)

or we'll get so desperate at the end for any amount of black gold that we'll have sucked them all dry before they can become a problem such as you describe. never underestimate the power of greed coupled with fear of change.

there are smart people already working on these things. they just don't report to you or me, and get very little press coverage when they are successful.
swp

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:03 pm

We censor and ignore the Kunstlers of the world, so I doubt we will make it to a bright future.

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:42 am

What, no offers for an epic sy-fy screenplay?
--kk

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 pm

“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:01 pm

Nigeria's been bleeding oil into the sea as well.

Drill baby, drill.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:05 am

What, no offers for an epic sy-fy screenplay?

I figured SyFy had already done it in some form - and then remembered they don't deal in science fiction - just Irwin Allen style disaster films and mutant animal hybrids. I'm waiting for them to splice the two together: "Sharktopusnami", or something of the same ilk.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Sue me, I thought this trailer for Sharktopus was freakin hilarious

http://blastr.com/2010/07/sharktopu.php
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Return to “General”