Hospice

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Re: Hospice

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:23 pm

Chuck,

I do not envy what you are going through, having gone through something similar with my Mom only last year. Send me a PM if you would like to talk off-line

You are in my thoughts and prayers,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:01 am

Chuck,

How is your Dad doing, any updates?

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:07 pm

Just got back from seeing Dad. He was responsive, though not all that coherent. Still, I tried to engage him in some conversation. He'd reply, usually with a non-sequitur. He talked about wanting to have dinner with his brother. Uncle Jim died over a decade ago.

Still, we spent time together. Sometimes the other residents will mistake me for an employee. There was one lady who kept talking about her pants being "soakin' wet" after a nurse spilled a drop of water on her. The Singing Lady wasn't there in the TV lounge today. Sometimes she'll sit there, in her own world, "Da dum de dum-dum, da dum de dum-dum, da dum de dum-dum-dum, da dum de dum-dum". I like to think she's reliving a fond memory.

I don't know where Dad goes. I saw him asleep in bed, his legs sometimes moving, his eyes moving under the closed lids. I wonder what he dreams about now.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Wow, Chuck, such an observation.

Your Dad is dreaming about the first time he saw his little boy and how proud he was.

Hold onto those memories.

Return to “General”