Help searching for an old news story

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Help searching for an old news story

Postby Moderator » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Steve - I don't think your words were the only root for Frank's question. Reading back I can see the general line of commentary does not address whether kids ought to be tried, just several observations that they understand their actions. Frank jumped to the "tried as adults" conclusion, but I think in a legitimate extension of the whole of the conversation.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:57 pm

That might have be one of the most evil and horrific things I have ever read.

Sadly, there are some echos in the earlier Mary Bell case - in 1968, Mary Bell was convicted for killing two boys, aged four and three - one when she was 10, the other when she was 11. She was detained at Her Majesty's pleasure for 12 years, her circumstance made even more horrible by the fact that her mother profited multiple times by selling stories of her daughter while she was in prison. It's a horror show of the lowest order.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:46 am

Barber wrote:Steve - I don't think your words were the only root for Frank's question. Reading back I can see the general line of commentary does not address whether kids ought to be tried, just several observations that they understand their actions. Frank jumped to the "tried as adults" conclusion, but I think in a legitimate extension of the whole of the conversation.

Fair enough.
FinderDoug wrote:
That might have be one of the most evil and horrific things I have ever read.

Sadly, there are some echos in the earlier Mary Bell case - in 1968,

I am unsure if the UK has laws preventing criminals from profiting from their crime. It would seem not, at least not back then. I have heard similar stories. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:24 am

I'm not sure if they do -- though when you mention it there's something that rattles at the back of my brain.

It put me in mind of a sort of reversal of a UK story in which a drunk driver ran a stop sign, plowing into the side of a mini-van killing the driver, his wife, and their daughter. The only survivor was a little boy of around 8.

Some weeks after the accident, in which the driver was vilified, rightly, for his actions and their consequences, his lawyer filed a lawsuit against the boy (technically the family estate) seeking to recover money for the time the drunk driver had missed from work during his own recovery.

The lawyer reportedly was shocked at the public fury.

(He may, now, be the CEO of BP. I'm not sure.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:18 am

Doug, I may wait a while before delving into details of the Mary Bell case. There is only so much horror I can take in a short period of time
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 am

I don't think I'd heard of Mary Bell, but the name was mentioned in passing in this novel. The author also cannily mentioned the names of the two boys convicted in the real-life case I was looking for, as past examples, as if that were not the very case on which she had modeled her story. (She chose to have three boys abduct the victim in her version, which is more believable than the truth, actually.)
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Return to “General”