Cornell Woolrich

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Tony

Cornell Woolrich

Postby Tony » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:05 pm

I just heard Harlan read "Tired Old Man" and I'd love to read some of the stories HE mentions that were his favorites by Cornell Woolrich. A search of Amazon seems as though there's just a spotty amount out there. Would anyone happen to know of a decent collection to get by Woolrich? While Amazon does list an Omnibus, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of what HE mentioned (lots of stories with Black in the title).

Thanks!!!
Tony

Tony Rabig

Re: Cornell Woolrich

Postby Tony Rabig » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi there.

Don't have the audio handy, but I'd imagine the list is roughly what appeared in HE's comments on the story in the intro to NO DOORS, NO WINDOWS. They were:

"THE BLACK ANGEL, THE BLACK CURTAIN, THE BLACK PATH OF FEAR. RENDEZVOUS IN BLACK, THE BRIDE WORE BLACK and, many more times, BLACK ALIBI. And DEADLINE AT DAWN, PHANTOM LADY, NIGHTMARE. STRANGLER'S SERENADE, WALTZ INTO DARKNESS."

Except for NIGHTMARE, which is a short story collection, all the rest are novels, and several appeared under Woolrich's pseudonym William Irish. DEADLINE AT DAWN, PHANTOM LADY, and the short-story collection AFTER-DINNER STORY were collected in a volume called THE BEST OF WILLIAM IRISH. The rest, to my knowledge, haven't appeared in any omnibus collection. The Black Books volumes have been reissued on a number of occasions, most recently by Ballantine in the early 80s if memory serves, and you'll have to search for those individually (why the Mystery Guild hasn't gathered all of them into a two-volume set I don't know). If you're after good short story collections, try NIGHTWEBS, THE FANTASTIC STORIES OF CORNELL WOOLRICH, THE TEN FACES OF CORNELL WOOLRICH, NIGHTMARE, and a couple of fairly recent collections (whose titles escape me right now) edited by Francis Nevins. And for the novels, don't skip NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES just because it's not on the list.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Bests,
--tr

Tony

Postby Tony » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:14 am

Thank for the help, Tony!

I've ordered the Omni from Amazon and I may see what my local library has as well. I've also heard HE speak about Gerald Kersh (I know he edited a collection of his work) and I have yet to read him as well. I get the feeling I could read just HE referred authors for the rest of my life and never run out of new things to read!

Take care,
Tony

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:25 pm

The Tony awards..hehe

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Remember to check in with Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_Woolrich

Here's a fun overview:
http://www.violetbooks.com/REVIEWS/jas-woolrich.html

Barry Malzberg has written about Woolrich, including an essay in [i]Engines of the Night[/url]. It'll make you cry.

You could also check out Woolrich's too-short autobiography:
http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Lifetime-Autobiography-Cornell-Woolrich/dp/0879725354/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278132029&sr=1-3

If you want heavy (but amazingly thorough) reading, try Francis Nevins' biography/analysis.

Tony

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:56 am

Goodness! Thanks so much.

Return to “General”