Hey Frank

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Hey Frank

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:19 am

Harlan wishes he was as smart as me. Wink.

David is well read and well spoken. He does tend to read mostly fiction, never forget. The real world is flogging a black cat, so I understand why our David lives in the world of the fantasmic word.

Rob is very clever as well, this is why I allow him to cap on me.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:19 am

FrankChurch wrote:
David is well read and well spoken. He does tend to read mostly fiction, never forget. The real world is flogging a black cat, so I understand why our David lives in the world of the fantasmic word.

Dude, literature is not fantasmic: its for the truths you're not allowed to speak. There's more wisdom in it that in journalism or analysis.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:01 pm

But do most readers read to get their socio-political ideals? Like Harry Potter kids, they just want neato plots and fantasmic worlds.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 pm

Frank

Lets take Harry Potter as an example. You can't help but learn about loyality, friendship, doing the right thing despite the conquences, and a lot of other important concepts.

Don't toss the baby out with the bathwater. They may not be reading for anything other than entertainment, but they learn none the less.

Harlan's writings are fictions, but they also are learning expirences!

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:42 am

Socio-political ideals stem from personality, upbringing and values. Literature can shape these to a much greater extent than political tracts.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:18 pm

FrankChurch wrote:David . . . does tend to read mostly fiction, never forget. The real world is flogging a black cat, so I understand why our David lives in the world of the fantasmic word.

Wrong again, Frank.

I just don't talk as if the nonfiction I read is the be-all and end-all of knowledge.

Fiction tends to create whole worlds; nonfiction can only, inevitably, provide pieces of the puzzle.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Return to “General”