Propaganda and the Arizona Immigration Debacle

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Propaganda and the Arizona Immigration Debacle

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:36 pm

The judge at the other end of the bench can sometimes be like the person at the other end of a gun.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:25 pm

follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:30 pm

You reading that Moonie junk?

A gun is property, forget what the second amendment says. You have a right to personal property. A gun is property.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:54 pm

sorry frank,
that "?" was directed to "activist judges"

"moonie"?
what the hell are you talking about?
follow your bliss,mike

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:26 pm

FrankChurch wrote: A gun is property, forget what the second amendment says. You have a right to personal property. A gun is property.

So is a rocket launcher. (Apologies to Bruce Cockburn.)

D.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:54 pm

cynic wrote:"moonie"?
what the hell are you talking about?

The Washington Times was founded by Sun Myung Moon, and it was subsidized by his Unification Church until recently.

D.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:20 pm

thanks doug,
i knew that once, apparently for too short a time. :oops:
follow your bliss,mike

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:08 pm

As of May 1, the Times is up for sale (because the end of the subsidy effectively crippled it.)

A friend of mine from many years back, conservative wag Richard Miniter, is a former editorial page editor who was suing them for discrimination. Not sure where the case is - I haven't looked in on it lately (and given my liberal leanings, he and I probably have very little common ground anymore anyway.)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:35 am

You can start being liberal any time, Dougie...lol

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Oh, Frankie - I'm very liberal. I even believe there's a place for YOU in the conversation. :)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:38 pm

FrankChurch wrote: A gun is property, forget what the second amendment says. You have a right to personal property. A gun is property.

The forgotten section of the Second Amendment has to do with the well-regulated militia. In other words: own a gun, submit to a draft if necessary. You may be conscripted in event of a national emergency; pulled in as part of the Reserves; or called upon in the event of a shootout at the local bank.

Naturally, it's this very prerequisite that is ignored in favor "I can own a gun if I wanna, and you cain't tell me what ta do with it" that entirely misses the point. Despite all of the screaming and yelling by the gun lobby, without the requirement to belong to a registered (well-regulated) militia, the 2nd Amendment has already been violated by "activist judges".
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:59 am

Has anyone else noticed the coincidence between the Arizona judge's decision on SB 1070 -- as a violation of the 14th Amerndment -- and the GOP's sudden interest in revisiting the Amendment???

"Revisiting" the 14th Amendment is not just about birthrights. Read it. There's this little clause called "Equal Protection".

Fortunately, there's no way they will ever muster the votes needed to rewrite the Amendment.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Just ran across this wonderful quote by Michael Palin, of Monty Python and travel documentary fame. This is his assessment of the situation of illegal immigration:

In all I have seen around the Pacific Rim, I have rarely felt the difference between the First and Third Worlds as strongly as I do now, watching the potency and sophistication of modern technology reducing human beings to maggot-like figures on a screen. The Aztecs and the Incas were destroyed by gunpowder, armour and war-horses, and the Red Indians by rifles and whisky. Progress trundled over them and, here on the borders of the USA and Mexico, as we stand watching human activity reduced to the level of a video game, I can feel the same steamroller at work.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 pm

more content and context from the "palin's travels: full circle" book of the series

sometime in july or august of '97

day 227, Tijuana to San Diego, California (pg. 296)

"The city of San Diego, only twenty-five miles from the chaos of the Mexican border, could hardly offer a more emphatic statement of US prosperity, power and confidence."

("in the company of Ron Henley, Public Information Officer of the INS - the Immigration and Naturalization service.")

"The number of Border Patrol Agents has risen by forty-five per cent since Clinton was first elected in 1993. In an initiative called 'Operation Gatekeeper, set up two years ago, the law was toughened to include five- to twenty-year jail sentences for illegal re-entry,"...

" He accepts that as long as the work is there, the migrants will find ways of getting to it. 'We're just a Band-Aid. We can't stop the problem."...

"Recently he apprehended a portable lavatory being carried up the highway on the back of a truck and found seventeen people inside. 'To us it was very serious,' says Ron. 'Those people had paid five hundred dollars apiece to be in that toilet"...

and just after steve's offering:

"The American paranoia that is responsible for all this will not be assuaged by events filtering through to us over the car radios. A bomb has exploded at the Atlanta Olympics. Deaths are reported. Ron shakes his head. The helicopter's searchlight rakes the fence one last time and is gone."
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Return to “General”