Propaganda and the Arizona Immigration Debacle

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Re: Propaganda and the Arizona Immigration Debacle

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue May 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Barber

That I have, and its a grand piece of exposition! Hopefully, me and Chris will still be seeing each other when you come this way again... That's one dude I think you'd get along well with.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue May 25, 2010 3:06 pm

I am shocked, shocked I say. Banter of a sexual nature on Harlan's web site. How, how , how in the name of Gypsy Rose Lee can this be? :shock: :lol:

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue May 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Diane

If you care to notice, we do it where Uncle Har won't see it. I mean we all know what delicate sensibilities the dude has, and far be it from me and the sexual contingency to offend our esteemed host in anyway.

*trying hard not to laugh out loud, the librarians would give me a seriously hairy eyebrow or two if I did*

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 26, 2010 9:30 am

Now Obama is going to militarize the border. Being bi-partison is the bees knees, but lordy. I give up. When is Obama going to understand that the other side can't stand him.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed May 26, 2010 9:45 am

3600 nat. guards and $375 mil. could constitute bipartisanism, meeting them half way.
got a problem with the POTUS working within (i assume) fed. law ?
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Not exactly the Arizona immigration debate, but signs the Tea Party and GOP feel hatred and fear are legitimate political weapons. IMHO, legitimate they are not...

Raghead' slur is new ugly twist in S.C. race
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl2410

Tom Cruise's unlikely cameo in Nevada GOP Senate race
http://tinyurl.com/2fux3w6

The other Arizona battle: A new law makes ethnic studies classes illegal
http://tinyurl.com/2cve8mv

New poll looks at tea party views toward minorities
http://tinyurl.com/2bdeyzt

...but they work.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:05 pm

boy oh boy,
with all those big red letters, i guess we should all be afraid, and even hate these people.

the moron with the slur is just that.

the monitor opinion article must have gotten the hb# wrong
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/46 ... b2281p.pdf
but the article does state " HB 2281 prohibits any school district from offering classes that “promote the overthrow of the US government, promote resentment toward a race or class of people, or ... are designed for students of a particular ethnic group.”

yep this all scares the shit outta me, the hate and fear just oozzes from these links. look away.

i feel so dirty, just being a part of the same species.

but keep looking for hate and fear, it's all over the place.
follow your bliss,mike

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:10 pm

You don't have to look, Mike. It's right there, in our faces. We can ignore it, or pay attention.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 pm

hi chuck,
beyond the moronic slur, what fear and hate did you see in mr. b's links?
frustration and irritation don't count.
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:57 am

Mike -
My point -- and I note your annoyance with the use of bold red letters -- is that the political debate has stopped being about issues (not that it ever really was, but) and has become about labeling others as "not of the body". Yeah, getting beyond the slur in the SC race, you still have associations of Tom Cruise -- being one o them thar nasty "Scientologists" -- as being in and of themselves reason to vote against a politicians. You might just as well insert "he associates with blacks". Similarly, we here in California have been subjected to just a brutal series of commercials from Meg Whitman and Steve Poizner, each ratcheting up the rhetoric particularly when it comes to immigration reform.

I'm sick of the modern bigotry from these people. It's racism, religious bias and sexism disguised as social policy, and it's disgusting.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Jerry Brown will win, so no need to heave heartburn cupcake.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Mike:

I'd say Steve pretty much covered it. The individuals who the Republicans have been pandering to are the American wahabists, and like the leadership of Saudi Arabia, they have a tiger by the tail. When any of them tries to let go, they get publicly mauled, aided by those politicians and operatives who gleefully indulge the members of the christian death cult.

Perhaps the use of red letters was a bit over-emphatic, but considering the slime Steve and other Californians are being subjected to in this election, understandable.

You want melodramatic? Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw

Enjoy!

Chuck

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:37 pm

And as for the obvious and piggish bigotry in the first link, the hint that this may blow up in the politician's porcine face gives me a big ol' grin.

Chuck

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:28 am

actually,
i was dissapointed i didn't find the hate and fear that the big red letters warned of.

hate and fear are my various breads and butters.

there was indeed Tom Cruise,"Scientologists" and "them thar nasty"... spa treatments?
"You might just as well insert "he associates with blacks""

yes guys, i share your distaste for "ratcheting up the rhetoric", and more or less making shit up.

" Meg Whitman and Steve Poizner...modern bigotry...religious bias and sexism disguised as social policy"
" Republicans have been pandering to American wahabists...aided by those politicians who gleefully indulge the christian death cult"

yep, concentration camps and ovens. get all the teabaggers and gops in line.

BURN THE WITCH! she turned me into a newt!
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:51 am

I see you got better tho...

Mike, yes the red bold was probably excessive, but my point is that political positions which would have been unacceptable twenty, thirty years ago are now being redefined as mainstream GOP. It's as if the fringe has captured the party and cooler heads are booted out. (Look at the election in Utah, for instance.) The new mantra from the Tea Party would seem to be "no compromise", which -- as I've mentioned -- is a pretty selfish and dangerous thing in a democracy. You know what their criticism of Sen. Robert F. Bennett in Utah was? He had voted for two pieces of legislation after 18 years as one of the most conservative voices in Congress. That's Baby with the Bathwater stuff.

I will yet again ask the question (which no Conservative -- and I'm not saying you are one Mike -- has yet to answer): If fiscal conservatism is the key topic, then will states that receive more money from the government than they pay back in taxes cut back a portion of the overage?

If those states cut back their "take" we can reduce taxes in those states that lose money to the Feds, or use the gap to pay down the national debt.

Money where the mouth is, guys: you want smaller government and lower taxes, reduce the amount you're getting from the Feds above and beyond your own taxation. Simple.

Return to “General”