LORI'S WORLD OF THE WIERD AND WONDERFUL

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

LORI'S WORLD OF THE WIERD AND WONDERFUL

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed May 12, 2010 2:50 pm

OK

Here's how this is gonna work. We've got enough people out there showing us the political, social and what have yous of the net.

Being the self proclaimed STRANGE DUCk of this group, I thought I'd occasionally drop you a link or two to some of the stranger things out on the WWW. Consider it an act of kindness. You all know you are TOTALLY bored with your straight laced lives, and would like to explore the dark and strange every now and then. I'm more than willing to be your guide.

With this in mind, let me drop a link on you:

http://www.researchpubs.com : This is where you'll find all sorts of wonderfully strange books, clothing and other totally cool stuff. For those of you who can remember Punk Rock, this is the place that published MODERN PRIMITIVES, one of the coolest magazines devoted to body piercings, tattoos and other things punk. There are interviews with people like J.G Ballard and the likes.

Next time we'll take a look at my all time favorite Strange Arts Group Survival Research Group, who give the mythbusters a run for their money when it comes to building and blowing up all manner of things.....

FrankChurch

Re: LORI'S WORLD OF THE WIERD AND WONDERFUL

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 14, 2010 7:15 am

Weird, I do weird.

Ferel House is the ultimate publisher of the disgusting, weird, conspiracy stuff, downright evil stuff, stuff nobody else will publish. They are obviously free speech with a vengeance:

http://feralhouse.com/titles/books/

The Unibomber's manisfesto, the history of death metal, the secrets of the Hellfire club, pictures of homicide scenes, the history of rock censorship, they have it all. Some of it makes me puke.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri May 14, 2010 5:17 pm

The Unibomber's manisfesto, the history of death metal, the secrets of the Hellfire club, pictures of homicide scenes, the history of rock censorship, they have it all.

But what's more boring and banal than that?

Frank if you would quit pulling your dress over your head and sit down - yes, right there in that seat with your name tag - and shush; Lori's going to whip it out and show us what she's got. A real opportunity and education.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 15, 2010 7:35 am

So boring and banal that no other publisher will touch them. Wake up Ezzie.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sat May 15, 2010 10:44 am

So when you get bored, you puke?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 15, 2010 1:11 pm

We will put a thong on Barber. That will top anything Lori could do. Dance, Barber, danceee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun May 16, 2010 8:03 am

FrankChurch wrote:We will put a thong on Barber. That will top anything Lori could do. Dance, Barber, danceee.

Now Frank, trying to blind everyone simultaneously is not a nice thing to do. Say you're sorry...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon May 17, 2010 12:25 pm

Man, I leave you MEN (using the word loosely) alone for a bit, and look what you all do to my thread! *grabbing the bunny flogger* Line forms to the right, and Frank YOU'RE first, just on GP!

And BTW Barber, we wouldn't all be blinded would we? I mean Cris has seen ya in the all together and she can still see, can't she?

Now that that's outta the way here's today's strangeness....

Sometimes I think I may have been born a girl with the soul of a boy. I mean I can't stand wearing dresses, I don't mind getting my girly bits mushed in a good game of tackle football. But most of all I like machines, the louder the better. And if they blow up, well that is the best of all.

So, just imanage my surprise when my Bestest Friend in the whole wide world took me to my first Survival Research Labs preformance. The easiest thing to say about it is that it would have been just as good if the poor little rodent in the middle of it all didn't have to explode along with the rest of the machine, but it wasn't my show, so ya know...

Anyways SRL takes bits and pieces of military hardware, car parts and any other type of techonlolgy they can find and make amazing moving sculptures with them. At the bottom of this post will be the link for their webpage, and I suggest ya all look at it.

"Survival Research Laboratories was conceived of and founded by Mark Pauline in November 1978. Since its inception SRL has operated as an organization of creative technicians dedicated to re-directing the techniques, tools, and tenets of industry, science, and the military away from their typical manifestations in practicality, product or warfare. Since 1979, SRL has staged over 45 mechanized presentations in the United States and Europe. Each performance consists of a unique set of ritualized interactions between machines, robots, and special effects devices, employed in developing themes of socio-political satire. Humans are present only as audience or operators. "

The above paragraph is from the offical SRL webpage and sums it up a hell of a lot better than I ever could.

http://www.srl.org/index.html

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon May 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Lori a guy I knew in Atlanta introduced me to this stuff. I had a video (VHS) of one of their early filmed performances called Threnody for Souls in Torment but it was displaced in one of my moves. I wasn't aware they were still a going concern or that they had a web presence. Wonder how much difficulty they have with their events since 9/11? Their art sounds like it would be a natural target for the cops in the age of terror.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue May 18, 2010 11:22 am

Ezra

They now ask that people who want to see a show pony up all the permits and the space to preform. Shitty, but understandable. It has to take a HUGE wad to make these things, and if you had to pony up the permits and what have you they would never get done.

According to the timeline at the website they did one here in SF last year in conjuction with our nerdfest....

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat May 22, 2010 8:16 am

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 22, 2010 11:02 am

The Ezra bug! Somebody get the Raid!

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat May 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Here's one for you Lori -

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/04/p ... mutantbugs

Thanks Ezra. You are the bomb and a peach too. Those were awesome.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:53 pm

Hello everyone

I've been seriously falling down on my job.... I'm sorry about that, but you guys just give me too much to deal with all at one time.

With that said, here's a bit of neat sorta strangeness for you all. We all like dolphins, and we all like bubbles. Lets see what a dolphin does with bubbles when he/she gets bored, shall we?

http://wimp.com/dolphinbubbles

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Lori, WoW! Thank u. Those dolphins were amazing. Steve, Harlan and Susan should see this

Return to “General”