Should I or Shouldn't I?!?!?!?!

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Should I or Shouldn't I?!?!?!?!

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:56 am

OK gang

I need some time with the group mind.

As most of you know I'm a rather strange duck. I found the following on a BDSM website. It's got forums just like this one.

"I'm now such a 'name' editor that people not interesting or important enough to get blown off by Harlan Ellison are making up stories about getting blown off by me."

Now, being the good girl I can be, I asked the author if I could post her words here. Well not here, but where HE could see them. I thought he'd get a kick outta it. But, I was told I also had to post this "I bought a rather nice edition of his collected works some time ago, but didn't get a chance to read it until more recently. My enjoyment was spoiled somewhat by my brain inserting, as the last sentence of every story, "And then he grabbed Connie Willis by the boob."

Now I am thinking that I could get around this by asking one of you who has phone access to the man to tell him this for me, but I don't want to bother any of you. But then on the flipside I don't wanna bring up as subject that will most likely negate the humor I am trying to spread either. THe first quote is a giggle, the second one is just a painful memory for HE>

WTF do I do?

diane bartels

Re: Should I or Shouldn't I?!?!?!?!

Postby diane bartels » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Come to Madcon, stay in my hotel suite with me and tell HE the funny part yourself. I am really hoping that you and Gwyneth can come as well as Frank, cause it wouldn't be a party without you all.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Lori -

If it were me in your shoes I would just send back a polite note to the effect that it's too bad his works are ruined this way for her but that in good conscience you cannot post that on his website.

In my own point of view I know he regrets the incident, but you'll never convince anyone of that who has held onto it for this long. The truth can be found somewhere between Harlan's public humiliation and Willis' continued silence. The rest is the fury of the uninvolved.

Just my two cents.

SB
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:40 pm

I find it ironic that she concludes her rant with the phrase "people making stories up".

Just sayin'.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:54 pm

Lori,

Don't say anything about it to Harlan, just ain't worth it

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:23 pm

Lori, please don't. Harlan is getting up there, we don't want his blood pressure to soar. No more poking him with the stick.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Thanks Gang, you verified my gut reactions.

Well, I may never get a chance to tell the man himself, but at least someone got to hear it.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:36 pm

The original quote isn't that great that he needs to hear it, and her insistence that he has to take an insult along with a kinda-sorta compliment suggests to me that she's not as big (in the human being sense) as she seems to think she is (in the publishing sense). Apparently she hungers for just a little more notoriety by being an irritant to one of her betters.

Also, she clearly doesn't know what she's talking about, because there has never been a collected works of Ellison published -- not recently, not ever. Pyramid attempted it in the mid 1970s and got only partway (let's say 75 percent); Ace tried it in the early 1980s and got only partway (probably a little less by then; 65 percent); and the only "nice" edition she might possibly be referring to is the Edgeworks quartet, which made it even less of the way (I'd estimate 25 percent, and the first two volumes stank to high heaven with typoes).
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:06 pm

David -
I reacted differently to her wording. I assumed she was simply speaking of one of his collections, not the Collected Works.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Barber wrote:David -
I reacted differently to her wording. I assumed she was simply speaking of one of his collections, not the Collected Works.

The phrase "collected works" means what it means. Even if, by "nice edition," she meant one volume of Edgeworks, she was wrong both in the grammatical sense and in the publishing sense. Not very impressive in a so-called editor.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Return to “General”