Why I love San Francisco!

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Why I love San Francisco!

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:OK

I'll say this ONCE and only ONCE

You people start messing with my neck of the woods, so to speak, and I'm gonna makes ure that some ultra liberal, granola eating, vegan tears ya all new butt holes.

:D

Have I mentioned that I recently relocated to Cincinnati?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:12 am

If you're going to San Francisco... be sure to wear flowers in your hair...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

swp

Postby swp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:36 am

ok, so I am sensing that my perfect redwood picnic table idea is meeting with some slight resistance...

Lets try this as some food for thought instead: EcoFacts

happy now?
swp

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:21 pm

Stevie B: I'll find one who has a trust fund and the ability to make bio-jet fuel and make sure they hunt you down to the ends of the earth if necessary. But, if you buy a redwood sapling and plant it somewhere in the LA basin, all will be forgiven!

Ezra: Did you know that when that song was popular, no one wore flowers and we don't now either. Besides, unless you want your ass branded as belonging to a turoid (what you would call a tourist) then avoid that along with shorts and an I (heart) SF t-shirt. Unless of course you want every homeless bum asking you for food or money. If that be the case, the go ahead with the flower thingy!

swp: I just think that whatever forces created Cali's redwoods, it had art in mind while doing so. Know what I mean?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Stevie B: I'll find one who has a trust fund and the ability to make bio-jet fuel and make sure they hunt you down to the ends of the earth if necessary. But, if you buy a redwood sapling and plant it somewhere in the LA basin, all will be forgiven!

George (my next-door neighbor): "Steve, I see you planted a new tree in the back yard."
Steve: "Yeah, George. It's a cool tree from the northern coast. A friend suggested it."

George: "Steve, couldn't help but note that tree is really getting big. Looks beautiful."
Steve: "Yeah. It's striking, isn't it?"

George: "Steve, any chance you're going to trim that tree? It's been months since we saw the sun."
Steve: "Well, um, I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with what's left of the patio."

George Jr.: "Um, Mr. Barber, I love the tree, but seriously. The airport is having to divert flights."
Steve Jr.: "Yeah, understood Mr. Tate. I'm still trying to work out how to free the 737 caught in the upper branches. JetBlue isn't very happy."

George Jr.: "Steve, please. Keep your half of the fence on YOUR side of the yard."
Steve Jr.: "George, I don't HAVE a yard to keep it in!"

George III: "Sonuvagun. I wouldn't a thought you could hit the freeway from here."
Steve III: "George. Give me the pruning shears. Now."

George III: "Steve, gotta tell you. Love the new deck. Redwood is such a beautiful wood."
Steve III: "Yeah, love yours as well. Smell the smoke? That's from the Bauer's house. Redwood burns beautifully, too."
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:26 pm

MMMMM Steve

I'll be the first to admit that my sense of geography isn't all that good, but you guys do have a few canyons and mountians out there don't ya? That was what I was thinking.

But, thanks for the giggle. You are more warped that I've ever given you credit for. Which is a good thing!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Oh Lori don't tell me there are no hippies in San Francisco. :(

ps Does anybody outside bad TV detective shows ever call it Frisco?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Ezra

The hippie ethic is alive and well in San Francisco, we just don't have any persons that go by that name anymore. They are all in their 50's and 60's and prefer to be called by whatever name their mothers gave them.

And a lot of people still call it Frisco, but none of them actualy LIVE here.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:34 pm

The hippie ethic is alive and well in San Francisco, we just don't have any persons that go by that name anymore. They are all in their 50's and 60's and prefer to be called by whatever name their mothers gave them.

Yeah it's their children who are in psychotherapy, the ones with names like Magnesium Tulip or Blueberry Mayonnaise.
:)

And a lot of people still call it Frisco, but none of them actually LIVE here.

There is of course the "real" San Francisco but there is also the imaginal Frisco of our dreams where Karl Malden and Grace Slick faceoff at dawn, his weapon of choice being moral certitude and hers action without consequence.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Golden Gate park is an amazing thing. You think you are in the boonies when you are actually a few leagues away from a major city.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:01 pm

One of the great things about Portland is that deep evergreen forest reaches right into the heart of the city. I can walk about 10 or 12 blocks from my urban apartment and I'm in it.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:03 pm

But it rains all the time.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:27 pm

Frank

Unless you are made outta Shit, Salt or Sugar, a little walk in the rain isn't a bad thing. While I know you are full of one of those, you aren't made of any of them.

David: You are lucky. But, I have both a bay and an ocean a MUNI ride away, so I say we are just about even on the whole nature near by scale.

Mark: Haven't done much with the lightbox thingy. Vance is really busy trying to get his photography off the gorund. so I've not been bothering him with that.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Frank
Unless you are made outta Shit, Salt or Sugar, a little walk in the rain isn't a bad thing. While I know you are full of one of those, you aren't made of any of them.

Shhhhhh....shwap! If anybody sees Frank wandering mumbling incoherently to himself, that's Lori's palm print on his forehead. :lol:

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:00 am

Rain is a part of nature's ritual, but all the fucking time!

Lori wants me, forgive her. :)

Return to “General”