Why I love San Francisco!

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Why I love San Francisco!

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:48 pm

Somewhere Frank Church wrote about how I should be envied for being able to go to Fisherman's Wharf whenever I feel like it. I usually avoid tourist traps like that with everything I've got within.

But, as we speak, I happen to be sitting in the Ferry Building. If you've ever seen a post card with a neon sign reading Port of San Francisco, you know where I am. I have a bit of Artisan cheese and bread to nibble on, and a cup of some Peet's coffee to drink. Just watched a ferry leave for either Vallejo, Tiburon or maybe Sausalito. Don't know for sure, didn't see which terminal it left from.

You guys are always here to listen on the occasions when I talk about being down, so I just thought I'd talk a little bit about the rare day I'm having today, and it's ALL good.

Therapy wasn't the exhausting chore it usually is. I spent a little bit of time making sure that another depressive was doing well, and now I'm here. If there is a God, for some strange reason he's smiling on me today. I don't often feel this good about things, and it's nice to have a few people to share it all with.

Thank you one and all for listening!

Site Admin

Re: Why I love San Francisco!

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Thank you for reporting such a wonderful day. And may you have many more of 'em.

*sigh*

(Makes me wish I'da been a bit more forceful with the lady of the house when I broached the idea of extending my stay last week.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:31 pm

Mr B.

Contrary to movies like 2012 and conspiracy theorists, California isn't gonna be falling into the ocean soon. You bring that pretty little lady of yours up here in June. The the Spring SF Jazz Fest will still be going on and you may be able to catch a show or two.

http://www.sfjazz.org

Besides, this gives me a bit of time to work up an insiders list of things you two should do before ya go home!

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:36 pm

PS.... James Farm and Joshua Redman will be playing the Herbest theater on the 12th of June and tickets start at 25 bucks a pop.... And you can order 'em on line!

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Nice to see you having a good day. I used to enjoy going with family to the waterfront at Seattle when we'd visit family there. Port cities do have their interesting points.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:29 am

San Francisco is one beautiful city, rivals places like Vancouver parts of Washington DC. You usually have to go to Europe for cityscapes that make the hinges on your jaw extend.

Jello Biafra, Lori, Gwyn, Frisco is on babee

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:45 am

Greenspaces tend to zen out depressive moments. One of the reasons inner city pathologies exist. Lack of greenspace, places to just take a breath, look at the bees pollinate the flowers.

Lori, you need to take off your shoes and walk in the grass. Good as well.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:40 pm

Frank

Did you know that the second largest urban park in America is in San Francisco? And it has a lovely public garudin?

I go there at least once a month, just to see green and all that good stuff.

You need to get that cute little butt of yours out to the West Coast some day soon!

Did I mention that we have the oldest independant book store too, and I bet we could find you a Chomsky book or two that you've yet to read!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:08 pm

I just wish conservatives would actually read Adam Smith, not just jack off to the myth.

Ah, yes, San Francisco be great, beyond your insane homeless problem and horrible cop problem, but I digress, which I so rarely do...lol

Fox hates San Francisco. The best reason to wave the tamborine.

Duane

Postby Duane » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:27 pm

>>Did you know that the second largest urban park in America is in San Francisco?<<

And the largest is in Phoenix! (My hometown, sorry).

Seriously, I love SF, but I'm such an LA guy now that I start feeling negative vibes after a few hours. It's all I can do to not boo the Giants and take a tinkle off that bridge.

But it IS the gateway to one of my favorite places in the world: Redwood Country. You ever drive up the 101 past Ukiah up to Garberville/Redway? I do a lot of hiking/backpacking there along the black sand beaches and the giant redwoods. There are 300 foot trees nearby, but you've gotta take the 6 hour drive up to Redwood National Park to see the true giants (topping near 400!).

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Duane, hey honey.

Did you know Barber wants to cut down all the redwoods so that they can build a new nuclear plant?

Jus kiddin chillins.

------------

Me and Lori will run naked through the redwood forest. Will end depression and scare small woodland creatures.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Duane: Central Park isn't the largest? Learn something every day I do. BTW, which bridge do ya wanna piss off of? We got two of 'em ya know, three if you count the peace bridge in the Japanese Tea Garden?

Frank: Running around in Muir Woods naked may cure my depression, but then again it may CAUSE yours! Our cops are only a problem for those who choose to act like total asses, and IMO ya really can't blame 'em. The homeless, well that's an octopus of an entirely different color. Not gonna go there at this moment in time.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:10 pm

FrankChurch wrote: Did you know Barber wants to cut down all the redwoods so that they can build a new nuclear plant?

Frank, once again you misquote me.

I said I wanted to "cut down the Redwoods and make a nuclear plant out of them".

THAT is eco-friendly.
:twisted:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

swp

Postby swp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:43 pm

I say we cut down all of the redwood trees and make a single, perfect picnic bench out of them. That would be art! And perfection does come at a price after all.

... and if we had time afterwards I suppose we could make a nuclear power plant just to keep Steve B happy. oh, and put it on a fault line just to make Frank happy.

:twisted:
swp

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:11 pm

OK

I'll say this ONCE and only ONCE

You people start messing with my neck of the woods, so to speak, and I'm gonna makes ure that some ultra liberal, granola eating, vegan tears ya all new butt holes.

:D

Return to “General”