THE CRITTER THREAD (PETS! not "Criterion disc sets")

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE CRITTER THREAD (PETS! not "Criterion disc sets")

Postby Moderator » Tue May 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Jazz has my prayers that the only thing that he even has to consider dying from is VERY old age. BTW, exactally what is the life span for his kind?

Dals usually live for 12-15 years. He's a strong dog and only eight, so he ought to have many more with us if we get the diabetes under control.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 pm

Are you two gonna have to learn to give him shots, or can it be controlled with his diet right now?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue May 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Are you two gonna have to learn to give him shots, or can it be controlled with his diet right now?

Shots.

He went in for more tests this morning and at least the high ketone count has gone down significantly -- a high level of ketones can lead to ketoacidosis, a nasty side-effect to hyperglycemia that can cause serious damage or death. There's a possibility that Jazz may develop cataracts if we didn't catch this in time, so we're hoping time is on our side.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue May 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Hi, Steve. My best wishes for Jazz. You guys really have been put through the wringer lately. Just a word of encouragement - my sister Karen's older dog, Skittles, was diasnosed with the same condition a few months ago. She has been on insulin shots since then and she responded right away and very well. She is back to her playful self and acts like a much younger dog. She is 11. Karen and her husband learned to give the shots easily and the hardest thing is keeping her on her meal schedule and no human snacks for her or the younger dog, Buddy . Sounds like you guys have a great vet, but any help or encouragement you only have to ask here or via e-mail. Take care, your animal loving friend Diane.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 25, 2010 6:31 pm

All That Jazz.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Been a few months since I updated his condition. I'm mentioned elsewhere that we have canceled our trip to Hong Kong and Australia as being too distant until we get his diabetes properly controlled. He is at the vet's today getting his blood glucose levels checked.

He's also had rashes all over his haunches which we attributed to stress, but we've been having a devil of a time trying to combat it. He's on allergy meds and antibiotics without appreciable effect. We may have accidentally stumbled on the cause yesterday. Four or so months ago we planted some new bushes in the back yard. Jazz immediately chose one for his leg-lifting activities and has been diligent enough that the plant's growth is significantly stunted when compared to its peers. It hit us that the plants might be the cause of the rashes -- thinking back the rashes began not too long after we put them in.

Cris looked them up and -- sure enough -- they're toxic, causing rashes and skin sores when contact is made. Sort of like poison ivy in the effect they have when the sap touches the skin.

I pulled them out and threw them in the trash. Keep your fingers crossed we've nixed at least ONE of his problems.

:oops:

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:32 pm

Anyone who owns a dog (or has ever loved one) fears this sort of mix-up perhaps more than anything else.

Very sad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/us/19dog.html?_r=1

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm starting to think your dog is Woody Allen.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Barber wrote:Anyone who owns a dog (or has ever loved one) fears this sort of mix-up perhaps more than anything else.

Very sad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/us/19dog.html?_r=1

It's a hard world for little things. :(
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi everyone. Trying to focus on the positive. So good news. Jasmine, the cat I found in my trailer park, had her surgery the other day. A spay and a hernia repair. She is healing up nicely, and running azround all over the trailer. A nice Holiday present for all of us, me, Hootie, my grey tabby, Mandy Oreo, my black and white kitty, and Jasmine.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi everyone. Trying to focus on the positive. So good news. Jasmine, the cat I found in my trailer park, had her surgery the other day. A spay and a hernia repair. She is healing up nicely, and running azround all over the trailer. A nice Holiday present for all of us, me, Hootie, my grey tabby, Mandy Oreo, my black and white kitty, and Jasmine.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Wanna talk about strange pets?
I brew mead, and consider the little teenie, tiny, microscopic yeasties my pets!
I feed them, I care for them, I make sure that they are in good health. I talk to them, I breed them.
The only thing I can't do is pet them, but then again, you can't pet a fish, can you?

When they are done eating all of their sugar, they make me alcohol! Now isn't that a great benefit for caring for your millions and millions of little pets?
:lol: :lol:
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Great news Diane! May Jasmine have a wonderful life with you. She deserves it and has no idea (yet) how genuinely fortunate she is.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:52 pm

Roc -- We really need to find you a less productive pet.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Roc, do you wipe your mouth with your sleeve and burp after drinking mead? What does it taste like? Do you seek mental help? hehe.

Return to “General”