THE CRITTER THREAD (PETS! not "Criterion disc sets")

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE CRITTER THREAD (PETS! not "Criterion disc sets")

Postby Moderator » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:01 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Does the other dog miss Gig?

Yes, quite a bit.

As best we can sort out what Jazz is experiencing seems to be a combination of grief over losing his friend (they had essentially been with each other for 24 hours a day, every day, over the course of seven years), mixed with some confusion as to what role he is supposed to be playing in the family now. Gig was the alpha, so Jazz is kind of rudderless as he tries adapting to his new lifestyle. As part of our "communal therapy" we've been including him in more of our activities than usual. Cris took him down to the studio a few days ago, and yesterday he went with us for some shopping and to an outside cafe for lunch. (He loves onion rings, go figure.)

He spends much of his time lying in Gig's favorite sleeping spot, or watching the front door.

It will pass, but it'll be some time.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:09 am

Damned strange coincidence, but I tihnk Cris made the right move in not watching that film right now. Remember how bad I was watching A.I. after my separation? Sometimes even good films just ain't appropriate at certain points in your life
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:24 pm

markabaddon wrote:Damned strange coincidence, but I tihnk Cris made the right move in not watching that film right now. Remember how bad I was watching A.I. after my separation? Sometimes even good films just ain't appropriate at certain points in your life

No question. No question of any kind.

Last night we started watching UP -- needing something light and airy, so to speak. We were thirty seconds into the credits when I remembered the opening pantomime of the young couple becoming the old couple, becoming the old man overcoming his grief.

So, instead, we watched Monsters, Inc and had a very pleasant evening.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Steve

Just a suggestion Ever think of watching All Dogs Go to Heaven? Corny movie, but all things considered, it may help you two get over things.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:00 pm

"A boy loves his dog."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Just a suggestion Ever think of watching All Dogs Go to Heaven? Corny movie, but all things considered, it may help you two get over things.

Cute movie, but we don't own it. Not a bad idea. I'll check it out.

Lori Koonce wrote:"A boy loves his dog."

Yes, Frank. I did.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:48 am

Hi, guys. I lost my little pet rat, Snowflake, yesterday. It was not unexpected, as he was elderly for a rat. He started breathing very heavily the other day then bled profusely from his ear. My wonderful vet, Dr. Ben, felt it was probably a tumor somewhere, so I put him down. He had a good long happy life, but it is still very hard.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:29 am

Diane -- I am so sorry to read this. You have our deepest condolences. It leaves a hole in your heart when you lose a pet.

I had a pair of pet rats as a boy. (Lady Charlotte and Sir Charles, respectively. Names I thought quite hilarious for rats.)

It's difficult to do, but focus on the memories and be happy he was your companion for a while.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Why Sir Charles?

Sorry Diane. Rats are sweeter than their bad pr.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Diane and Barber

Loosing a pet is never easy. Even when you know it's for the best.

Makes me think of my Nick. My mom was given a Siamese cat, complete with papers from someone she knew who ran a pet store. That cat and I just loved each other to pieces.

Well, Nick had this really lousy habit of doing figure eights around my ankles when I'd come home from school. This cat was so into me that he'd sit by the door 15 minutes before I showed up, according to my mom.

One day he didn't come for the usual annoyance, and I got a little concerned. I went around calling for him and it was only THEN that my mom decided to tell me that she had given him to a family friend. See, Nick wouldn't listen to her or any other family member when it came to discipline. I was a teenager, and not spending much time at home. So it was easier for her and my dad to get rid of him.

Long story short; six months after that he died of Feline Leukemia. I spent months grieving the loss, and Years pissed as hell at my mom for not letting me be with Nick when he needed me.

You two were lucky. You got to give your pets love up to and including their day of death.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:You two were lucky. You got to give your pets love up to and including their day of death.

No question that Cris and I are comforted by that fact. I hope you are as well, Diane. That you had Snowflake for that long and gave him love and affection is what should not be forgotten. It hurts, deeply, but we are blessed to have had them in our lives.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:53 am

Dear Frank,Lori and Steve,
Thank you all so much for your sympathy and friendship. I really miss the poor little guy. My brother Matt went with me and tried to give Snow's cage to the vet, after I told him I wanted to keep it for a week or so. I found it eases the transition from death to keep stuff for a bit. Matt has trouble listening. The vet must have heard me say no however because he said he didn't want the cage.
Anyways,back to Snow. I left the cage in the car and I was driving around. It seemed like Snowflake was there with me. Comforting.
Lori, you have my sympathy about your cat. My parents did a similar thing with my dog Sugar. She was a German Shepherd puppy we got when I was five. Apparently she had distemper, and they sent ne to my grandma's for the weekend without telling me they were having her put down. I still remember getting home and looking for her and how much it hurt when she wasn't there.
One of the things I am glad about is having had the chance to do the last right thing by all the animals I have had since I am an adult.
Thanks again guys.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:48 am

Two weeks to the day we lost Gig, we get word my older sister may have to put down Duke, their English mastiff. A true gentle giant.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue May 25, 2010 7:16 am

There is a cloud over my clan regarding our dogs.

Yesterday we got word from the vet that Jazz' continued "depression" is not depression after all: he's contracted canine diabetes. For several years now he's been prone to pancreatitis. There's no treatment or cure for it, you just have to let it run its course. Unfortunately, one of those courses leads right to diabetes.

His blood sugar level was 385 yesterday. It's possible the pan of grease he got off the counter last week kicked it into high gear. He's now on insulin with an excellent long-term prognosis.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue May 25, 2010 12:07 pm

Steve

Jazz has my prayers that the only thing that he even has to consider dying from is VERY old age. BTW, exactally what is the life span for his kind?

Return to “General”