THE CRITTER THREAD (PETS! not "Criterion disc sets")

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Re: THE CRITTER THREAD (PETS! not "Criterion disc sets")

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that Steve!

Please know that one of the highlights of my time online was when Jazz and I would have conversations on Facebook.

Serious prayers go out to you and Cris. You lost a beloved part of your family and that's never easy!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Sorry to hear the news.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:24 pm

I am so hurting for you guys, Steve and Cris. Jazz was a good dog. And I am crying for right now. And for you guys.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks guys. It's a rough night and will undoubtedly be so for some time.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Goddamnit, I'm sorry Steve. I know you and Chris are going to miss him.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Anyone hear this story?
"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge...

"When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

"The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart."

Everyone who has lost a furry, feathered, finned, or whatever family member of another species, if you believe in Heaven, you should believe in this.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family Steve. I've been there many times, and each time it gets harder. Time will heal your wounds, but if you believe, remember the Rainbow Bridge story.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Anyone hear this story?
"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge...

"When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

"The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart."

Everyone who has lost a furry, feathered, finned, or whatever family member of another species, if you believe in Heaven, you should believe in this.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family Steve. I've been there many times, and each time it gets harder. Time will heal your wounds, but if you believe, remember the Rainbow Bridge story.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks Rocco -- Cris and I are very much aware of the story of the Rainbow Bridge, and have envisioned Jazz's best buddy (and Alpha Dog) Gig meeting him there.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:07 am

A wonderful story! I had not heard that one before, though I think part of me knew it all the time. It is comforting indeed to know that when the final curtain falls, a little white tail will be wagging on the other side. . .

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi, guys and girls. Sad news this week: my sister and brother in law, Karen and Rob, had to put down their old dog Skiddles. She was 13 and adopted from the shelter when she was two. Vinnie was about 11, Rachel was two and Joey didn't come along till a year or so later. Skiddles grew up with the kids, and she was an awesome dog. Never snapped no matter how she got pushed and shoved, helped raise the other two dogs as well as the kids, and was just a true heart and member of the family. She developed diabetes a few years ago, and lost her sight. But Rob and Karen manager her insulin and she had several more years. Just recently she became incontinent, and her kidney and liver tests were all abnormal. She was uncomfortable and sad, so they had her put to sleep last Tues. It was hard, but I just wanted to tell you guys what an awesome dog she was. She will be greatly missed, not least of all by me.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:37 pm

Diane
Our thoughts are with you and those skid does blessed by her presence. I know how much it hurts.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:47 am

Thanks Steve. I know you and Cris understand having been through it yourselves.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:59 am

I miss my Sister's dog Gordo, a fun loving Jack Russell, the cream of dogs.

Diane, much love.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:56 pm

thank you Frank.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:52 pm

I do wish our love of animals would make us love humans more too.

Return to “General”