Have you read the Bible?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Have you actually read the Bible?

Yes, all of it from cover to cover. Even the boring parts like the Book of Obadiah.
47%
Just the famous readable parts. I mean nobody has ever actually read the Book of Obadiah.
40%
I've seen all of Charlton Heston's movies.
13%

Total votes: 15

Douglas Harrison

Re: Have you read the Bible?

Postby Douglas Harrison » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:00 pm

I believe I've read it all by osmosis.

Seriously, though, I have not read large portions of it. I wish I could say I had read the whole thing, given its cultural significance, but no one (including myself) has ever tasked me with that particular chore.

D.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:41 am

I do not mean this to sound as judgmental as it will, but: I do know someone who has read it cover to cover. Several times.

And, in my opinion, it has not given him any better insight into things than I have.

He would disagree. Vehemently.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:48 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:What a great character David is!

Why thank you, Ez!
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:And Franco Zefferelli's 70s miniseries, JESUS OF NAZARETH, controversial in its day but quite reverential actually.

If I recall correctly, the venerable atheist Anthony Burgess had a fairly large hand in writing that version.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Barber wrote:I do not mean this to sound as judgmental as it will, but: I do know someone who has read it cover to cover. Several times.

And, in my opinion, it has not given him any better insight into things than I have.

He would disagree. Vehemently.

It is judgmental.

And we all understand.

And agree.

Return to “General”