I'm dreaming of a white-out at Christmas

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

I'm dreaming of a white-out at Christmas

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:52 am

Hey John and FinderDoug and Keith and all you dwellers in the Mid-Atlantic region I hope you're warm and safe somewhere indoors.

Where I'm sitting Mother Nature has upended her big ole sugar shack and she's just adumpin'...

Beautiful if you don't gotta get out.

I'm gonna go and see if that cute redhead two floors up wants to help me build a snowman...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Re: I'm dreaming of a white-out at Christmas

Postby Moderator » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:14 am

Erm...

We had a intermittent clouds yesterday.

Damned weather.

(Enjoy the white stuff guys -- and be safe and careful if you venture out into it.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:35 pm

You fuckers in Cali better button it. VA will not be for lovers this winter. Lovers of frostbite, anyway.

We ducked two inches of snow. Just rained. Niceeeeeeeeeeeeee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:20 pm

I've got sixteen inches on the ground outside the door, and several more hours of blowing and drifting ahead. Which is fine - nowhere to go until Monday morning. Finished my Christmas shopping yesterday when I heard it was coming. Some serious white-out out there.

But for now, time to start prep work on dinner. Some shrimp, some sunchokes, some snow peas, might make biscuits; cocoa and presents later with my cousin, who's off to her holidays Monday morning. Toss in Pixar's short film collection on ABC Family at six, and it's not a bad day indoors.

Except...

I WISH MY EFFING ADVISER WOULD GET HIS DETAILED COMMENTS BACK TO ME AHEAD OF TUESDAY'S FINAL DEADLINE FOR MY EFFING CAPSTONE. I mean, it's a PERFECT day to sit and write and edit and finish the EFFING PROGRAM!!!

As Rorschach might say, "Ho ho hrm."

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:37 am

The hush of ghosts in snowlight...

Is there anything more beautiful than a field of untrodden snow?

Is there anything more nasty than snow mixed with tailpipe exhaust blown into greasy piles by a snowplow?

Why is it necessary for weathermen to give their reports while standing outside in the snow? Does it make them seem more authentic?

It's a hard world for small things...

Literally dozens of birds huddled together in the roots of bushes.

They're reporting 16 inches here. More south and east of here. Metro above ground shut. Museums shut. A good day to watch the world go by from inside.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

swp

Postby swp » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:11 pm

18" of snow at my house in front, 19" in back according to the yard stick.

3+ hours of getting acquainted with my early Christmas gift, a new shovel. It's green. and plastic. with a thin metal edge on the front. I got to play with my new Christmas present early this year.

Now it's off to the store for laundry soap, more rock salt or halite, and the hundred or so other things the wife forgot to get when she went on Friday before the snow started.

I hope the rest of you are doing well.
swp

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:36 pm

Yea, blame the wife..lol

Don't throw out your back.

We got zero snow. I'm actually bummed about it. The problem with that white stuff is you either get 3 feet and closed down cities or nothing. The Christmas card stuff is just that. It aint cotton.

swp

Postby swp » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:53 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Don't throw out your back.

too late...
swp

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:20 am

Oh well here we go again and I don't mean Christmas...

Been a while since we had this much snow during winter. They're predicting upwards of two feet by Saturday. Shoulda bought those huskies and that sled when I had the chance. I understand Vancouver is shipping in snow for the Olympics. Wonder what the exchange rate is these days?

Went to the grocery last night and yep it was Cuban missile crisis conditions again. Now the run on orange juice and milk I can understand but yogurt? I don't wanna know.

And the touchable lizard was still there on the knicknack aisle alongside the viewmaster and the body glitter. What must the Chinese workers think of us?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:04 am

And naturally, my company has instructed me to fly into Philly on Monday, and out again on Wednesday.

Whattya think the chances are of delays??? (Rhetorical question)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:36 am

I'm a recruiting assistant for the 2010 census (for the next several weeks, anyway). Aside from proctoring tests, giving presentations and convincing community centers, churches and business to allow us to conduct census recruiting efforts at their facilities (for free), I get to schlep around my assigned area (Westwood, Rancho Park, Beverly Hills, etc) and paper every door I see with "We're Hiring! $17.00/hr!" notices and "The Census Is Hiring" pamphlets.

Guess which of those activities I get to do today???

Excuse me while I get my rain coat...

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:30 am

It's brightly sunny here in Portland, Oregon.

We've always had it good here, and global warming is working even more in our favor.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:09 pm

We're gonna go beat down Loftus. Turn him into a Christmas goose.

-----------

We will get snow here, don't know how much. We shut down for 3 days if we get 3 inches, so bye..lol

---------------

Duane, Beverly Hills? Watch them guard dogs.

Hope you guys do a better job than that evil Acorn...lol

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:26 pm

You'd be amazed at the number of people who live in Beverly Hills (and in the even more opulent Holmby Hills area of LA, where "Hef" resides) who are willing to take on some extra work to make ends meet.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:58 am

Oh crap.

I bought a brand new six pack of toilet tissue last night but left it in the trunk of my car. Now I gotta trudge out into the driving blizzard to retrieve it. Uh...fairly soon.

If I don't come back...well wait till first light and send out a search party.

Return to “General”