Methinks The O'Reilly Doth Protest Too Much

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Methinks The O'Reilly Doth Protest Too Much

Postby Moderator » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:51 pm

When you repeatedly say something, Mr. O, it's a bit vulgar to protest when you're "taken out of context".

Irresponsible Bastard.

Fox News' Bill O'Reilly lashed out at "Law & Order" franchise creator/executive producer Dick Wolf Thursday night. The bombastic host, upset over how he was recently characterized on the long-running NBC drama, called the "far left" Wolf a "despicable human being" whose show is "out of control."

Sparking O'Reilly's ire was an episode of "Law and Order: Special Victims Unit" that aired earlier in the week, in which a crazed anti-immigration activist set out to murder the children of illegal immigrants. In one scene, a character named Randall Carver, played by veteran actor John Larroquette, is sitting on a park bench talking to Fin, the detective played by Ice-T. In defending the actions of the man who killed the immigrants’ children, Larroquette's character says, "Limbaugh, Beck, O'Reilly, all of 'em, they are like a cancer spreading ignorance and hate...They've convinced folks that immigrants are the problem, not corporations that fail to pay a living wage or a broken health care system..."

After playing the clip of the "defamatory and outrageous" scene, O'Reilly slammed Dick Wolf as a "coward" and a "liar" before playing a montage of clips demonstrating his past defenses of "poor people who only want a better life." O'Reilly went on to explain that his "beef" isn't with illegal immigrants themselves, but rather with the federal government for doing little to control immigration and the "violent aliens who wreak havoc once they get here." He concluded by chastising Wolf for "distorting and exploiting" the issue of illegal immigration.

- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Re: Methinks The O'Reilly Doth Protest Too Much

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:32 pm

Bill O should stick to defending Christmas.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:45 pm

The real violence is being done by our drones. Aliens have little to do with a majority of violence. It's mostly Americans killing other Americans.

Did I just call us Americans? Bad Frank.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Actually, it looks like O'Reilly has managed to live down to the portrayal. We should encourage this behavior. (I wonder if Howard Stern would get his fans to call Big Bill's show & hold a straight face long enough to egg him on. How hard could it be to impersonate a Dittohead?)

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:30 pm

" 'ello, Meester O'Reilly? I 'ave zee President of Frahnce on the phone for you... 'Ee would like to...how you say... congratulate you on being an 'eeroic countrymember."

To which "we the people" reply: Yes, we remember! :twisted:
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Return to “General”