Mr. Ellison's autobiography?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Complex

Mr. Ellison's autobiography?

Postby Complex » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:55 pm

I was just wondering if Mr. Mr. Ellison is ever planning to write an autobiography? I mean I've read autobiography of I. Asimov who mentions him and even has whole chapter devoted to him and I also read biography of Phili K. Dick in which Ellison is also mentioned a lot as a close friend to late SF writer. It would be very interesting to read mr. Ellison side on all that since he is important figure in SF world.

swp

Re: Mr. Ellison's autobiography?

Postby swp » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:06 pm

welcome to the monkey house oh complex one. enjoy your stay, which will hopefully be long.

as Mr. Clemens was wont to say, if you want to know about me just read my books it's all in there. the same is true for Mr. Ellison. As a primer, read The Essential Ellison, The Glass Teat, The Other Glass Teat, The Hornbook (yeah I know I mangled the title), and then All The Lies That Are My Life. You'll know where to go from there on your own.

oh, and don't make eye contact with Frank Church. just sayin' is all.

swp
swp

swp

Postby swp » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:09 pm

p.s. and don't be afraid to stop by and introduce yourself in the weberlanders section. or in the art deco dining pavillion.
swp

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:58 pm

Yeah welcome aboard Complex, beer's in the fridge, flac jackets in the hall closet.

You'll have to ask the folks on this forum who know HE personally what our chances are of getting an autobiography, but here's a challenge to all the scriveners hereabouts.

What about a BIography?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm pretty sure that parties on this website are working on one even as we type. It's (working title) called "Yr. Pal, Harlan" and collects all of his bon mots and replies to posters from the Pavvy. And I know for a fact that the same multi-talented Webderlander is working on a biography of Harlan. I'm not sure I'm free to say more, so I'll clam up now. :)
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:55 am

Ellison has said -- or perhaps joked -- that his autobiography would be titled Without a Net. He has even appeared on TV with a book carrying that title on its fake dust jacket. But I don't think he's working on it just yet; and I think the odds are that he probably won't complete an autobiography before he shuffles off the mortal coil.

No doubt it would be a fascinating book, and possibly even a good seller, but I suspect Ellison is more interested in doing further original work in the area of fiction.

That being said, if you were to cobble together all the information contained in the many introductions to his books, the story collections that have substantial introductions to the individual stories, his essay collections (such as The Harlan Ellison Hornbook and An Edge In My Voice, and Sleepless Nights in the Procrustean Bed as well as the two Glass Teats, the sizable interviews he's granted to various magazines over the years, and (with a LARGE grain of salt) the handful of semi-autobiographical stories (such as "All the Lies That Are My Life" and "Punky and the Yale Men"), you'd have a pretty good sense of where he's been and who he is.

But there is also at least one regular on these boards who's been working on a biography for many years.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:31 am

David Loftus wrote:But there is also at least one regular on these boards who's been working on a biography for many years.

David, if you're referring to Tim Richmond's book, I was under the impression that is a Bibliography, not biography.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi Steve, there is someone else who has been working on a biography for many years. He's put a LOT of time, money, and blood-toil-tears-and-sweat equity into the project. But he's waiting for a specific time to elapse before finishing the project.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:21 pm

Please tell me it's not Frank...... :twisted:
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:28 pm

markabaddon wrote:Please tell me it's not Frank...... :twisted:

ROTFLOL!

I knew we'd have to bring the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in this thread somehow. :twisted: OK, Steve, delete this post after Mark reads it, okay? ;)
STAR WARS (1977)

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:05 pm

No need to delete the post but I am glad you got a laugh out of my comment
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Contract was signed last year.
Listing:
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_ss?url=se ... es&x=0&y=0

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Hmmm . . . clothbound promised in April 2010, paperback in April 2011. I guess that means we should expect to see it in about 2018, eh?

Yes, Steve, Tim Richmond's book is a bibliography. And I thought you were aware of the guy who has been working on a biography. We've even discussed it here on the boards from time to time.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Good one Mark.

What the fuck? How come the Germans and the Canadians know more about this stuff than we wholesome god-fearing Americans?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:46 pm

David Loftus wrote:Yes, Steve, Tim Richmond's book is a bibliography. And I thought you were aware of the guy who has been working on a biography. We've even discussed it here on the boards from time to time.

Yes. *sigh* I am.

It's been a long week (and it's only Monday).

*Sorry*
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”