Apparel grows in Vietnam

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

jackmorres

Apparel grows in Vietnam

Postby jackmorres » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:33 pm

The apparel and textile industry in Vietnam has overtaken crude oil as that country's No. 1 export.

During the first 10 months of this year, Vietnam shipped $7.5 billion in apparel and textiles to primarily the United States and Europe, according to the Vietnamese General Statistics Office.

Vietnam's apparel manufacturing sector has grown rapidly ever since the U.S. government early this year stopped monitoring Vietnamese apparel coming into the United States. The Bush administration feared that Vietnam would dump apparel goods on the U.S. market and started closely watching import prices in 2007 to determine whether anti-dumping duties should be imposed.

The Department of Commerce held six-month reviews of five different apparel products-trousers, shirts, underwear, shirts, swimwear and sweaters-but found no signs of dumping.

Site Admin

Re: Apparel grows in Vietnam

Postby Moderator » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:26 pm

Jack -

Interesting topic.

Please feel free to add more...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:33 am

Jack, Hi!

Our textile industry died years ago. This is why we now love Vietnam: Cheap labor, good profits going to the right people. The Vietnamese can starve for all we care.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:22 pm

It would be a great irony if Americans started wearing Vietnamese clothes.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Looking through Wal-Mart, I have to wonder whether the sanctions were to protect American trades or Chinese. Often, calls to protect "the workers" are little more than corporatist protectionism until the Chamber of Commerce figures out how to make a buck from it. When a Microsoft starts hiring Indian PhD's for $16,000/year, I fail to see how this benefits American workers -- certainly not by any sort of price reduction.

It's apparently not "dumping" if a Nike is placing the orders or a Wal-Mart is making the sales.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:26 am

Vietnam is one of the most beautiful places on earth and the textile industry is one of the worst polluters on earth.

:(
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:33 pm

Ezra, Lori just tapped me on the shoulder. She wants you to be more moderate. Vietnamese textiles do pollute, but we do get cheap stuff at Wal-Mart, so in some ways its win-win for us, which is really all that matters. We don't live in Vietnam, why should we care?

Lori, thank you for showing me the light. Maybe we should bomb Iran afterall. Sure, there is no proof of nukes, but with those crazy Iranians you can never be too sure.

Moderation, what a gas.

Return to “General”