The Winner of the Dinner Auction

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

K. M. Kirby

The Winner of the Dinner Auction

Postby K. M. Kirby » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Did the auction winner turn out to be anybody who posts here? Perhaps a celebrity?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0433937483
--kk

David Silver

Re: The Winner of the Dinner Auction

Postby David Silver » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:52 pm

I was nudging the bid all that week, and was the high bidder with 6 seconds left. I intended to punch a last maximum bid with about 5 seconds on the clock, and I did, but two other bidders had already sniped the darn thing a second before that, and my final bid didn't even register because it was a tad lower than the others. I've been in eBay from the very beginning, and that's the first time I ever got double sniped inside the last 10 seconds! Sorry, no, I have no idea who the winner was, but you'd think if it was at least a Webderlander that we'd hear about it...
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

K. M. Kirby

Best Wishes Then

Postby K. M. Kirby » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:58 pm

Most definitely sounds like, whomever it was, they earned it.
--kk

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:25 am

Wow. :shock:

David, I just assumed it had been you. Now, to learn that there's a mystery guest involved?

Hmmm...

Hmmm, I say.

Gonna have to ask Jan S who won the dang thing... :?:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:40 am

David, the two who outsniped you obviously had no clue who they're dealing with!
It's probably good they don't reveal their names.

I would have liked for you to get to know Harlan and be on friendly terms with him, the way the rest of us are. Now you have to suck up the regular way.

But you'll find that we are tough competitors.

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:20 pm

You know, I've done the dinner thing at the wonderland and it's really not all it's cracked up to be. I far prefer my memory from the sixties, of having to wait outside that place (after getting a glimpse) with Ahbhu in far simpler times.
--kk

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:40 pm

I dunno.

The chili was freakin' awesome (sorry, inside joke, but it was damned good), and the company even better.

I'm sure the dinner will be worth every penny, and it's certainly a terrific cause.

David -- thank you for your effort to make this a terrific donation to Jeanne Robinson's recovery. I am sure it will go a long way to help them out.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Ya know gang, If I remember correctly, shortly after having the aforementioned dinner, one of the two diners actually posted a thank you to Harlan somewhere on the pavilion. I don't remember his name or the date he posted, but I do remember he was somewhere from NY, and seemed like a nice enough guy.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:21 pm

Barber, have you and Harlan ever gotten into a scrap?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:34 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barber, have you and Harlan ever gotten into a scrap?

Very minor one and I survived.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:10 pm

Where's Wyatt?

K. M. Kirby

An interjecting voice

Postby K. M. Kirby » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:50 pm

Just for the record, that post about dinners at wonderland not living up to expectations? It's a joke. I want to keep a straight face about it but also can't risk getting misquoted out of context by a trid, sped, blob, carl, drip, fink, girl, husk, itch, jerk, kyle, liar, mook, nerd, ogre, troll, etc.

When you miss out on the dining room, you are done. You might as well just quit life. You somehow lost an ebay auction...in, the twilight zone...
--kk

JanMSchroeder

Postby JanMSchroeder » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:58 am

Sorry to come across this thread so late.

Sorry you didn't win the dinner, David, but thank you for the nudges higher. I'm certain the extra dinero will come in handy for Jeanne. She's very grateful for the things folks have done.

I don't think the winning bidder has stopped by so far. I haven't recognized his name, at any rate.

I'm hoping to have a new wave of auctions up soon. And at some point I'm expecting some awesome items from David Gerrold so I'll be sure to post again then if folks are interested.

Thanks again, all!

Jan S.
The Florida female one ;-)

Return to “General”