Open Wide. Say aaaaahhhh...

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

paul

Re: Open Wide. Say aaaaahhhh...

Postby paul » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:30 am

Well, damn Ezra, I was surprised, anxious and relieved all in the space of three minutes. I'm glad to see they fixed you up right proper. I would miss your voice here and I'll be damned (so to speak) if I'm smart enough to take up the Defense of Rational Athiest Thinking in your stead. Words for us all- Get Healthier!

Salt, yes. Corn, corn syrup and corn-by-products are pervasive as well. King Corn reminded me of what I knew and surprised me with more.

I am a miracle waiting to collapse. Years o'dozen plus of bacon, eggs, beer, wine and whiskey, 12 years (now quit for 3) of smoking cigs, still enjoy cigars, and anytime I need to be checked out, my blood pressure is, as Nurse said, "textbook". I've a belly pot, but I'm within my weight. We've no insurance that we can afford that really covers anything.
Having said that, Kat was born, and is still, overweight. It's glandular and as she (and I) get older, we will most likely be looking at hospital needs, and that will be tough sailing.
The medium is the message.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:33 am

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts and encouragement. Much appreciated.

I had my first follow-up with the cardiologist yesterday. I had a nuclear stress test where they first pump you full of goo (sorry if this too technical for you), take xrays of the heart, then plug you in and have you walk on a treadmill at various speeds measuring your heart rate and blood pressure, and then take more xrays.

All my signs looked good. (EKG, blood pressure.) I was amazed also that after just a week of hospital cardiac diet and a week of my own diet modeled on the cardiac diet (low salt etc) I had lost 13 lbs! No exercise just diet. Jeez. Now I'm freed to start regular exercise, starting slow and working my way up. I'm also going to consult a nutritionist to start a healthy sustainable diet. I'm converted folks!

The bad news is as I hinted before. Once you've had this experience the chances of a repeat are very high. And atrial fibrillation is one of those conditions that are not caused by one factor but a combination of factors. So that's where I am.

But until it's demonstrated that my fate is out of my hands I'm going to assume I have control over my future and do what I can do.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

paul

Postby paul » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:But until it's demonstrated that my fate is out of my hands I'm going to assume I have control over my future and do what I can do.

As you have been assiduously promoting since you've been here. Keep on keepin' on, man.
The medium is the message.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:49 am

Health care is hot on the news these days so consider this...

Since about a week after my adventure I've been receiving regular weekly calls from a nurse who works for the HMO I'm enrolled with inquiring about my health, how am I doing, etc. Expressing what seems to be real concern and attention. Well consider me cynical but after my cancer scare in 2004 no such calls. I was in the hospital early last year for a couple of days with pnuemonia, no such calls.

Can it be in light of the ongoing debate about health-care that the insurance companies are running a little scared and maybe hedging their bets? Investing in a little public relations? Is that too cynical?

Had a full physical the other day and all my vitals look good. I'm still left with the mystery of what actually caused the atrial fibrillation. Nothing specific jumps out. But nothing bad can result in maintaining a healthy lifestyle so here we go.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Lemmy Kilmister drinks a bottle of bourbon a day and smokes about 3 packs of cigs a day, but looks about the same at 63 years old. Ozzy said that he can't be human. It's all about body chemistry.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:39 pm

Good news, Ezra. Keep it up. There are a lot of sumbitches I'd like us both to outlive.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:36 am

Glad to hear things are going well for you Ezra.

A small suggestion. Before you go see the nutriton expert, see ifyou can get a copy of Stop the Insanity by Susan Powtert. She talks about making better choices.

Did you know that 3 chocolate chip cookies have the same caloric value as a dozen bagles? And no healthy person can eat that many bagles in one sitting.

It's little things like that that will help ya along the way.

Luv

Lori

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:38 am

Thanks for the good thoughts Lori and Chuck.

I have to confess I'm pretty ignorant about nutrition. I'm one of those people who just stuffed whatever floated along into my yap and never thought about the long term consequences. So educating myself will be a big part of my "rehabilitation".

Frank when I was growing up we had a family friend who lived to be 99 and smoked 4 packs a day since he was 14. Interesting guy, a WW1 vet. But for everyone like him and Lemmy, there are 15 who end their lives puking up their lungs in a hospital.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:44 am

Dear Ezra,

I've just read of your illness and hospital stay, and am relieved and happy that things have turned out well. Just a FYI from a veteran of hospital stays and chronic illness: be careful what you say to the HMO nurse. I hate to be an alarmist, but it's not uncommon for health insurance companies to look for reasons to rescind your insurance--stating that you had a pre-existing condition you didn't tell them about, for example.

Health insurance companies don't give a flying fuck--it's always profits over people, remember that. I know you're an atheist, and I respect that, so I'll ask, do you mind if I make dua'a for you? I worry about and care for my Webderland friends.

With great fondness,
Gwyneth
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:25 pm

Gwyneth, I have no objection whatsoever but to me your expression of concern is the greatest prayer of all!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:41 pm

Regular physical today.

30, count'em 30 pounds! Since my little episode in October.

Not ready for the marathon yet but I'm on my way.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:44 pm

How much do you weigh?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:52 pm

OMG Ezra

That's great!!! What have you been doing for a result like that? That's like 7 lbs a month or something like that isn't it?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:36 pm

You can call it faith healing.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:51 pm

We could, but Ezra isn't a believer, so he has no faith 'memeber.

And having lost that kind of weight a long time ago and since gained it back, I would like to know what he did. I had to climb 2 rock faces, one mountian, hike 10 miles a day for 21 days and eat like a bird to do it.

If he's got something a bit more sensible for a city girl I wanna know about it.

Return to “General”