Open Wide. Say aaaaahhhh...

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Duane

Re: Open Wide. Say aaaaahhhh...

Postby Duane » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Congrats, Ezra! Keep it up.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:09 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:Regular physical today.

30, count'em 30 pounds! Since my little episode in October.

Not ready for the marathon yet but I'm on my way.

Way to go, Ezra! :D Any tips on burning the fat and keeping the muscle mass up? How did you do it? I need to lose about 20 lbs myself, to get back to fighting trim. :wink:
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:22 am

Well I would like to claim it was regular sex with nubile 18 year olds or through the sheer force of my mighty will but it was the old fashioned way.

A diet of mango juice, tree bark and amphetamines.

pa-duh-pum

Actually it was the old fashioned way...

I radically restricted my salt and sugar intake and walk two miles a day. (The sugar was easy but do you realize how much effing salt is in everything? I didn't until I started reading labels.) You have no idea how shitty my diet had become and how sedentary my lifestyle was. My initial burst of weight loss was simply getting off my fat ass.

So goodbye meatball sandwiches with provolone. Hello fruits and vegetables.

But don't get the idea that I'm suffering. I like fruits and veggies. I feel better. I have more energy. I sleep better. Hell my complexion cleared up when I ditched the soft drinks. But I've just begun. I am facing the big five-oh (in March) so I started off slow with the exercise but the next step is to buck it up a notch. Losing weight is not equal to getting in shape so I'm looking for a gym for some regular vigorous exercise.

And sorry ladies but physiologically it is easier for men to shed this kind of weight than for women. Evolution provided you with the tendency towards excess body fat principally to protect all that marvelous plumbing you carry around.

If I sound like a convert who’s seen the light it’s because I have and I am. Nothing like a little heart afib to focus the attention. Sad though that it took that.

ps Sorry no magic secret. Lifestyle. And no going back.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:55 am

I'm always around food, so I'm fucked. lol

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:46 pm

No you aren't Frank.

First of all, unless your boss is sitting on your chest and force feeding you, you don't HAVE to touch a morsel.

And if you do, it is you who has to make the choice between that plate of cookies or the veggie plate.

And not to mention that if Ezra can step away from all the things that kept him on his ass and not excersizing, we all can!

There ya go!!

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Ezra

Here's something you may wanna check out.... And it's FREE!

http://www.teamintraining.org/

They have a branch in DC, and do some pretty amazing things. You get training to run either a 5k, marathon or if you really wanna be strange they can help you with a triathlon. if bike riding is more your thing they can even train you to do a century ride. You get to have a trainer, buddies to keep ya motivated, and a chance to raise money for a very worthwhile charity to boot.

The only thing you'd need that you aren't provided is good shoes, but you got a job, you can go get a decent pair of cross trainers anywhere ya want.

But, just know that no matter what you do I'm not only amazed at your progress but inspired to do something as well. I may be predisposed to extra padding, but I don't have to carry as much as I do, and this I know.

Lori

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Damn Ezra, that's some fine progress. I've got to get down another 25 pounds -- I've lost five so far. I still have my health club membership and need to start using it again.

I used to go there regularly and took karate classes. I kind of crashed in the early 90's, becoming a total sofa spud. Years later (2003) I had a mild heart attack. While I was exercising, unknown to me, the artery in back of my heart, which fed the right side, got completely clogged. However, my heart expanded a network of capilaries into a new artery, growing its own bypass.

I have to take meds to control my cholesterol, but I do need to be more active if I'm going to keep my ticker ticking.

Keep at it, Ezra! I'm going to shoot for your kind of results.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Frank as the sages say, Everything in moderation. And we're all around food all the time.

It does suck but in our country the least expensive most readily availible stuff is the junk. It is more expensive to eat healthy. But there are farmer's markets and produce co-ops everywhere. And even the groceries are starting to wise up. Of course they make you pay for it.

The hardest part for me is the pure rabbit food. Kale will never be on my top ten list. And cabbage was meant to be stuffed in an egg roll, right?

Thanks for the encouragement everybody.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:[snips] The hardest part for me is the pure rabbit food. Kale will never be on my top ten list. And cabbage was meant to be stuffed in an egg roll, right?

Thanks for the encouragement everybody.

Sigh. Unfortunately you're right about it being easier for men to lose weight (fat) than women, because you guys have more muscle mass to begin with. But the good news is that subcutaneous fat is not terribly hard to lose, and it's the internal fat cushioning the reproductive organs that give women the body fat gain over men. Or something like that. I'm not tracking particularly well here.

ANYWHOOOO.....

I make this really dynamite kale dish that is so totally healthy it will knock your socks off, clear your arteries, give you a better mood, plus the ability to jump tall building in a single bound.

Ingredients
Barcleans High Lignan Flax Seed Oil (check the pressing date for the most fresh)
Red Russian Kale or "Dinosaur" Kale, preferably fresh from the Farmers' Market
Apple Cider Vinegar
Non-stick pan

Wash and chop up the kale. Leave the excess water in the leaves. Preheat the pan on a high flame. Dump all the kale from the colander into the pan and then stir it like crazy so it doesn't stick and burn. Within about 45 seconds you should have bright green, lightly cooked leaves. Turn off the heat and dump all the cooked kale into a big salad bowl.
Dress the greens with Barcleans High Lignan Flax Seed Oil and a little Apple Cider Vinegar. You can also add some Mrs. Bragg's Amino Acid (basically super-healthy soy sauce).

Eat and enjoy! :)
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:21 am

Ezra Lb. wrote: do you realize how much effing salt is in everything?

Yes, its crazy. They did a study not too long ago that showed average salt intake is near catastrophic levels. My old flatmate went on a "cut our sodium!" crusade, and it was like turning vegetarian. Damn near all the food in the supermarket was suddenly out of bounds, and what we did find was significantly more expensive.

Just when I was sort of getting the hang of it, I switched countries and have to start the whole process over again. Bloody tricky on a fixed budget.

But bravo for your progress. Shall we be calling you "Ezra Oz" before long? :wink: (sorry, I couldn't resist?)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Processed food will kill us all in the end, if the environment doesn't first. Your sweet on the pillow of the day..lol

Return to “General”