MadCon

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

swp

Re: MadCon

Postby swp » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:26 pm

FinderDoug wrote:I'll see what I can do to snag an extra book for somebody; not knowing demand, I can promise only the attempt.

I am not asking you to do this out of pocket, I can provide funds via paypal (or whatever means you prefer) prior to your departure. My offer is sincere. PM me if you (or anyone else for that matter) want to take me up on this. Again, my thanks in advance.
swp

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:03 pm

SWP - Nothing personal - and I can only speak for me - but I don't do prepayments. It took one bad experience previously where the pre-payee argued rather strenuously that in the absence of the successful purchase for them, they were entitled to the sole copy I was able to purchase (for myself) instead of their money back, because they paid up front and that should be the first consideration. Nothin' says lovin' like being considered someone's mule. It ends polite friendships.

I am not saying that you would comport yourself in this fashion - you seem like a good sort - but as a consequence of that situation, I offer "best I can do, no guarantees" offers and don't really care if anyone has cash in hand until after I have goods in hand. If I get stiffed then, well, it doesn't happen with the same person twice.

In this instance, I figure if I wind up with a second one and no one wants it, I have trade fodder for the future, so I'm not so worried about it never being useful. But with three requests for a copy so far, I suspect it won't go unloved if I secure a second.

I also don't do quatloos, but that's because the exchange rate is so much better for me on the Klingon darsek.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:02 pm

Guys, I was just talking electronically with Jon Manzo from madCon, and he said that after the Con is over, he will post something in Webderland about any remianing copies. My impression from speaking with him is that you don't need to worry and that those Wedberlanders who want one will be able to at least buy the unsigned edition

Damn, Doug, you got me curious about what item you are considering for the auction......
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Damn, Doug, you got me curious about what item you are considering for the auction......

This is where the Marketing background is a definite advantage. :)

biglou

Postby biglou » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:49 am

De-Lurking to see if anybody is travelling from Milwaukee airport to the hotel in Madison on Friday am. I can't seem to find an inexpensive way to do so and wanted to see if anyone is planning the same trip -- splitting the cost. I will be at the airport at 8:00 am.

I am really excited for the show and looking forward to putting faces to the names I have read many times here over the years.

Thanks for looking!

Lou

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:39 am

Sorry Lou, I am driving in from Minneapolis. Keep an eye on this thread, though, and hopefully someone will be able to help you,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

swp

Postby swp » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:05 pm

markabaddon wrote:Guys, I was just talking electronically with Jon Manzo from madCon, and he said that after the Con is over, he will post something in Webderland about any remianing copies. My impression from speaking with him is that you don't need to worry and that those Wedberlanders who want one will be able to at least buy the unsigned edition

actually, I was hoping for signed copy number 101. I am sure unsigned copies will be available on ebay before Christmas, which is unfortunate but the way things seem to work. of course, I'd really much rather actually be there but I gotta keep feeding the kids and paying for the doctors' visits and there's always that pesky mortgage.
swp

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:24 pm

Lou - Also must tender apologies - flying directly into Madison from Houston. And Lou - lurk not! Come into the firelight! Grab a cup and sit a spell.

Okay - I'm working on travel timelines for arrival/depart; tentative for a mid to latter afternoon arrival on Friday; my question is who's pulling up tent stakes and when at the con close? I'm doing a flight back to DC (sort of a round robin for me with a trip down to TX the weekend before; Peggy's going back Texas way) from WI, and if anyone else is sticking on Sunday evening, I'd be inclined to hang and chew what's left of the fat and make post-con merry.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:58 pm

(vis a vis nothing, but: Doug, could you ask your sig o to check her Facebook page for a note I sent her. If she's deliberately ignoring me out of some well-placed sense of taste, I can handle that. But a fella's got to know.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:52 pm

She's been generally delinquent on Facebook, she admits, but I'll do what I can to make sure she'll do what she can to respond to you this weekend, so you'll know what she knows. You know?

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:56 pm

Doug, my plan is for us to arrive late Friday afternoon. Unfortunately, I probably will nto be able to stay late on Sunday, as Karen & I both need to be in work on Monday and it will be a 6+ hour drive back. My guess is we will leave early afternoon on Sunday

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:32 pm

I should show up and scare Mark...haha

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:21 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I should show up and scare Mark...haha

You would need to wear a name tag.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Scared to meet you, Paul?

No, I do not think that would be the term I would use. I would relish the opportunity, although I sincerely doubt you would find it as enjoyable as I

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Frank. Frank Church.

Return to “General”