MadCon

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Rick Keeney

Re: MadCon

Postby Rick Keeney » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:41 pm

Diam,

Did we meet at MadCon?

Rick

Dima

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:58 am

Rick - I don't believe so. I do remember the incident with the young woman who I now realize is your daughter, though.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:40 am

DIMADIMADIMADIMA

sorry about the misspelling.

also regret not greeting you at MadCon.

peace,
R

Rick Keeney

Goldberg Interview

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:29 pm

How did you find out about MadCon?
Posting in the Pavilion

When and why did you decide to go?
The minute Jon posted it I got a check ready and registered

Who did you go with?
My girlfriend, Karen

Who did you see?
Better questions is who I did not see, as I tried to spend some time with every Webderlander that was there, and most of the Guests of Honor (not Gene Wolfe, unfortunately)

Get any cool stuff?
Other than a shirt and Unrepentant, nope

Where (and what) did you eat, and with whom?
Friday night at the bar with Barney, Peggy, Doug & Karen. Saturday lunch at the winery with Peggy, Doug & Karen (that pie you got at the Farmer's market really was delicious), Saturday night at the dinner with Jody & Keith, Sunday brunch with Jody & Sara

Have a favorite event or panel?
Both of the panels I was on were pretty fun, and it is fun to say I got smacked by Peter David

Stay up late? With whom, and how’d it go?
Actually no. Friday night karen did not feel well, and Saturday night I felt like my head would explode

Did you get to interact with any celebrities?
Does Harlan count? He and Peter David, who smacked me on the arm for rambling on to a question Peggy asked at the Hollywood panel

What guest was at your banquet table?
Lisa Snelling, and she was a lot of fun

What was your favorite word for the weekend?
Telephonically (Harlan's word, just like it)

Favorite quote?
You're never too young for sex! (oh, there is a certain Webderlander who will be hearing that one for a LONG time)

What word did you hear most often?
What?!?!

Have any memorable experiences with geeks?
Other than hanging around Keeney, nope

Have a memorable moment?
Having Harlan come over while we were sitting in the bar was pretty damn incredible. Hearing his story about being made a Knight Templar, and then having him repeat the entire tale during his closing speech was pretty special

Did you get inebriated and were you around others who did? Were they silly? Why or why not?
I did not see anyone get really drunk. I was feeling slightly tipsy after the winery, but if anyone was anything more than slightly buzzed I sure did not notice it

Are you glad you went? Why or why not?
Good God, yes, what a great time

What else? (DO NOT LEAVE BLANK.)
Keeney is a dork (but had a good idea to put together this interview guide)

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:34 pm

the above interview begs the question, "You realize Gene Wolfe is a freaking GIANT in this bidness, c'rect?!"

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:05 am

Yes, I know Gene Wolfe is a Giant, and seemed like a true gentleman to boot. It was not through a lack of interest that I did not speak with him, but through lack of time, as there were a lot of people I wanted to hang out with
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:52 pm

I got to meet Gene Wolfe shortly after STOREYS FROM THE OLD HOTEL came out, and our conversation was basically me saying "You are a motherfucking genius. No, seriously, you are a motherfucking genius." for about 2 minutes straight. Here was a guy with some seriously profound and just some straight-up cool stuff to say, but he also wasn't above having quite a bit of fun with it, too. Even when his work is macabre, he's like the chuckling uncle. You feel safe with Gene. But....should you?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:56 pm

I like what you did with the Pav. Pictures of our Harlan. Aww.

Dima

MadCon photos

Postby Dima » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:58 pm

Hello all,

I've created a public album with my photos from Madcon. I'm not much of a photographer but I think some of them came out relatively well. Feel free to take any you like - if you click on "view on skydrive" along the top you can then download the photo. I think some of them are just begging for funny captions :)

Dima

http://cid-b16f400f818cb672.skydrive.li ... ifications

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:06 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I like what you did with the Pav. Pictures of our Harlan. Aww.

All Jan. But very good choices, I think. Captures the gamut of how we see Harlan pretty well, and the sketch is perfect.

I am going to miss the Billy Ray version though. I may code it where it comes up 1 time out of 6 or something...

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:00 pm

Rick, Billy Ray Ellison is too good to lie dormant. I think coding the site it so that it appears randomly would be a lot of fun
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:10 pm

So, where should we start: the Zandor story? Harlan just going after a teenage kid in the audience? Would someon who was there like to describe the incident at the Old Country Buffet?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:00 pm

markabaddon wrote:So, where should we start: the Zandor story? Harlan just going after a teenage kid in the audience? Would someon who was there like to describe the incident at the Old Country Buffet?

Erm.. I'd like to read all three of those accounts.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Barber wrote:Erm.. I'd like to read all three of those accounts.

Seconded.

D.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Do post anything meaty (or a copy thereof) in the Pavilion since it is of general interest to HE fans. I'm also making a suggestion in the Pavilion.
Mark, I followed this thread for a while but it seemed to be more about the people in attendence at Madcon (which is fine by me).

Return to “General”