MadCon

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Re: MadCon

Postby diane bartels » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:12 am

Hi Ezra, since you ask I cannot tell a lie. I look like an improbable mixture of the you Liz Taylor and a 30 princess Di. 5'7'' 120 lbs. 38 26 38. I'll have Mr. E tell u Mon just what a big liar i am. You will be missed. I wish you were all coming to Madison.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:15 am

(Yeah, about that screening thing, Ez...)

I sincerely hope you guys have a majorly blast send-off fest for R Pal. He deserves it and it's killing me I'm not there.

Take care of my buddy and send him (and the delectable Susan) back in one piece. For those of you meeting the two of them face-to-face for the first time you're in for a tremendous treat.

And Goldberg, if you look in here before hitting the road, please take care of Typhoid Keeney as well. I think the Ebola's eating his brains.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:00 am

Hey Barber

I sent you a PM about something that may soothe your soul a bit, are ya ever gonna answer it?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:02 am

*holding back tears of total frustration*

Hope you all have a good time this weekend.... I envy each and every one of you.

OFW, I'll get my chance to check "Shake Harlan's hand" off my bucket list one of these days!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:04 am

Lori Koonce wrote:Hey Barber

I sent you a PM about something that may soothe your soul a bit, are ya ever gonna answer it?

$#!+. Yeah and made the decision it would need a more considered answer, so I set it aside until I could find time.

Guess what. It's called "distraction. I'll give you a response a little later this morning -- but rest assured your note did bring some warmth to my day.

More later.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:15 am

*hugs*

I can wait, it's not like the world will end if you don't answer right away. Take all the time you need.

*giggles* :D

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Odd all the MadCon recap isn't happening on the MadCon topic.

No long missives or anecdotes. I'm both glad & regretful I went. Glad because I yet again had a dandy of a time meeting up with fellow webderfolks new and known, seeing Harlan again (complete with "the huggy thing"), a brief bit of touristy time at the Madison farmer's market and a nearby winery, enjoying a number of panels, and picking up an ARC of the new Deathbird edition at the book table and a nifty print inscribed with a poem by Neil Gaiman (currently winging it's way southward via fedex to avoid being crushed by wine in my luggage) at the auction.

BTW - I know I must have missed introducing myself to several folks who were there (Diane? Dima? Anyone else? Bueller?), sorry if we missed each other. Wasn't on purpose, I promise. I commented more than once to Doug that there should have been some informal but scheduled webderland meet-n-greet so that any who wanted to meet f-t-f could easily do so without tattooing "WEBDERLAND" on their forehead or nametag. Just a generic "hey, any webderfolks who want to meet we're getting together at XX o'clock in the bar" - which sorta happened but not in any organized way.

Regretful only in that I am paying the price for over-taxing my back with airplanes and long drives and con seats and signing lines, as well as delays dealing with home shenanigans. C'est la vie, because who knows when the chance will happen again.

Which brings me to the idea voiced by (not sure... Lori?) about other webdermeets. While I think a single large gathering is unlikely without the draw of a con or other event, seems to me some regional get togethers should be doable. I mean, heck, there's probably 4-5 of us in a 3-4 hour radius in Texas (that's a small radius for our state, mind you). Well, something to mull over...

Cheers
Peg
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:53 am

Peg, you are right, and I probably should be better about providing some addiitonal recaps on the weekend in this thread. I posted some of my pics on my Facebook page, but none of them are really good. If you or Doug took any fun ones, could you post at least some of them here?

Hope your back feels better (and that I did not aggravate anything when I lifted you into the air when I met you)

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:38 pm

A webdermeet in Texas has "Rick will be there" written all over it;

which makes it possibly a very bad idea...

mmmwaha,
Keendawg

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:42 am

Personally, I envy those of us who went to Madcon. At least, you had the chance to see Harlan. All I have is "I have no mouth and I must scream" and "Repent, Harlequin!" to serve as bitter comfort. Last night, I went to MotelX, a special Horror Cinema Festival going on here in Lisbon. Got to see "Pandorum" and a lovely short film (well...as lovely as scary can be, anyways) called "Los que Lloran Solos". But still, I couldn't shake the feeling that everything seemed unpersonal, as if I'd just stumbled on something different, an element where I don't belong.
Parents couldn't care much for the movies (to be fair, Horror is not their thing, but they could have least pretended to enjoy talking to me about it). Combine that with a flu (no avians or swines involved, no need to panic, carry on, carry on) that made my throat feel like rotten wood splashed with acid and headaches and you get a major feeling of dissapointment. At least I might get to go to George Romero's Q&A this sunday.

Sorry to be moaning about it: just need to get all the bile (both figurative and literally) off my system.

Lori, see it this way: you'll get to see Harlan. It might take some time, but you will see him. Have some hope. ;)

K.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Kafka: You are a peach. But I'm learning to accept the cosmically lousy timing I had when I chose to show up this time 'round.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:24 pm

(I had a few private messages and e-mails this week regarding Harlan's health. Since he made it something to be addressed rather than to be ignored and since people were asking me I thought I would re-post a response I just sent someone who never posts back here rather than typing variations - and let this one stand as my half-assed "official" response to any and all such questions.)

*********************************************************************************

***IF*** he is pining for the fjords he never did say (or imply) from what. He is down to his honest-to-god proper fighting weight somewhere around 150. Weight and waste line wise he is better than I have ever seen him - going back to 1978. If he doesn't keep losing weight it just means he has FINALLY gotten his bad eating habits under control.

The hand shaking could be a (slight) side effect of the diabetes. It's not anything crippling. He's FAR more steady on his feet than he was when I saw him in Cleveland when I actually was asked to hold his arm as we descended stairs. That was an UN-healthy Harlan.

This weekend he gave me an embrace that would have cracked ribs on a lesser man than yours truly.

So, if he is not long for this world he is playing it VERY close to the vest. Is he sick of conventions and fan glad handing and signing his name? Oh, my, yes indeed. Is he ready for the Big Dirt Nap? I'm not writing eulogies.

My Mom is upstairs dying of Bright's disease (and a few other things) and Christopher Hitchen's has the Big C and I lost two other friends this year and saw two others hospitalized with bad odds so I feel like I know what Death looks like in the near term - and I (thankfully) didn't see it in Wisconsin last weekend.

And if I'm wrong - well what better thing to be wrong about? I'd rather be wrong than dire.

- Barney
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Dima

Postby Dima » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Peggy - I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet you either. I agree that some sort of official get-together would have been nice, especially since Barney didn't see fit to introducing me to the webderlanders there :)

It's funny you should mention Texas, as I will be in Dallas later this month for a conference. I'll post a note on the forums closer to the date to see if anyone would like to meet up.

Dima

Rick Keeney

Barney's MadCon Interview

Postby Rick Keeney » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:25 pm

How did you find out about MadCon?
From Jon Monzo the convention organizer, well over a year ago via e-mail.

When and why did you decide to go?
The same day Jon notified me it was happening. It was NEVER a question while I had a pulse.

Who did you go with?
Nobody.

Who did you see?
Everybody. Tim Richmond and his family, Doug & Peggy, Sara, Dima, Diane B., Rick Keeney and his daughter, Peter David and his family, Gene Wolfe, The Brit Pack, Harlan and Susan, Mark Goldberg, Maggie Thompson, Sophie Allred and a boatload of others.

Get any cool stuff?
Sure. Always. ON THE ROAD Volume 4 direct from Harlan's paw, an advance reader copy of the new edition of THE DEATHBIRD, The HC limited and regular edition of the convention book and some contact information for some other rare Ellisonalia.

Where (and what) did you eat, and with whom?
I broke bread with almost everyone I mentioned above at some point or other. I was VERY HAPPY to have had the Bratwurst/Knackwurst/Schnizzle platter at the Essen house. This was the food of my childhood and I had protein induced patriotic flashbacks even as old Jews looked around for the jackboots.

Have a favorite event or panel?
I very much enjoyed crashing the GLASS TEAT vs. The Internet panel complete with made-on-the-spot panelist card. Gave Peter David a taste of his own sweet medicine. ;-)

Stay up late? With whom, and how’d it go?
Always. ALWAYS. Anyone I could find. Went strange. Always does.

Did you get to interact with any celebrities?
Yes. Peter David.

What guest was at your banquet table?
Peter David. Nobody got a word in edgewise. Peter pre-trumped everyone with his "what I did last weekend" story. PURE Dick Move. I hate Peter.

What was your favorite word for the weekend?
Fuckstick? Bullocks? Ambulatory phlegm? Defenestrate? Clueless no-brain jingoistic motherfucker? Hard to choose.

Favorite quote?
"That's like something David Lynch would masturbate to."

What word did you hear most often?
MONZO!!!!

Have any memorable experiences with geeks?
I wouldn't say "memorable."

Have a memorable moment?
Most of them. My brain is funny that way.

Did you get inebriated and were you around others who did? Were they silly? Why or why not?
I tried but there wasn't anyone who would go one-on-one so I paced myself. Beer, red wine and rum at different junctures and in what is (for me) moderation. Except for the rum. But I was in my room writing and texting at that point.

Are you glad you went? Why or why not?
Yes. Felt a little like finishing something I started. Even though I didn't start it.

What else? (DO NOT LEAVE BLANK.)
My "Road Trip Part Two" went extremely well. I found the orphanage in Wauwatosa, WI. on Monday afternoon and had a long discussion with a caretaker who gave me some photocopies of history of the "facility" and hooked me up with dozens of photos from 1911 to when it was all shut down and plowed under. And the unmarked graves dug up and moved. Fun fun fun. Oh my yes. Almost shed a tear. Almost. They'll have to try harder next go around.

After that the Boyhood home and haunts in Milwaukee and the "Middle School Years" in Appleton were a piece of cake. Something like 30 locations in two days. Not bad. pictures were taken. Bullshit closure. yadda yadda yadda.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Dima :shock: - OUCHY! :D
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Return to “General”