MadCon

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Barney Dannelke

Re: MadCon

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Dima,

This is all I know about the schedule as of this morning.

As for sharing a room, nope, not me.

I have noticed there are hotels in the immediate vicinity with rooms in the 2-4 star range for approx. less than half the $99-$149 range of the convention hotel.

You might try this;
http://www.kayak.com/

as well as Expedia, Travelocity and the usual suspects.

Friday, 10:00 - 11:00 PM - Collecting Ellison! - A discussion by a handful of intrepid collectors of Ellisonia talk about the hunt for cool stuff - Barney Dannelke, Mark Goldberg, Rich Keeney, Scott Norris, Tim Richmond.

Sunday, 10:00 - 11:00 AM - Harlan vs. Hollywood - A discussion about Harlan Ellison's work as adapted for film, television and radio - Bob Garcia, Tim Richmond, Mark Goldberg, Scott Norris, Barney Dannelke, Peter David

Neither of these panels conflicts with any scheduled appearances by Harlan
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:13 pm

I need to amend the description of the can being supplied for the MadCon auction:

The design created by Bernie plays on the larger size of the can to make the product "The Original Idea - New! Magnum Opus Edition (when it absolutely HAS to be big!)" So in this regard, it is in the same family as, but a unique species of, the cans created for Harlan.

Just doing my bit for truth in advertising. Hope everyone has a relaxing holiday!

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Gee thanks for starting my case of nerves early, Barney.

I am on a panel with Peter David. OK (nah, make that oy vey) time to really start focusing so I do not sound like more of a moron than I usually do........
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:29 pm

That hour will go by so fast you won't know what the fuss was about. RELAX.
And Peter is a great guy. As you probably already know.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:48 pm

Everything I have heard about Peter is that is a warm, gracious guy and I am very much looking forward to meeting him.

Having people I know like you and Keeney on the panel will help, but I do admit my balls starting shrinking when I first read that Peter was going to be on the panel also

It was not much different when I found out I was going to be on a panel discussing Watchmen and Jim Kakalios, who served as the science advisor to the movie, was going to be on the panel. That went great and I have no doubt this panel will be equally as enjoyable an experience
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:50 pm

Last time we did this panel Tim Richmond asked me if I ever shut up. Which was a fair question. So I wouldn't over prepare for this one. Also the panelists may outnumber the audience.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:56 am

Nearly had that experience at my last Con, where there were 4 members on the panel and 6 people in the audience.

With you, me and Keeney on the panel, even Peter might find it difficult to get a word in edgewise

Dima

Postby Dima » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Well, I am now officially registered and committed to going to Madcon! Unfortunately I have a prior engagement Friday (we're going to see Bill Cosby, I'm really looking forward to that), so I'll be arriving Saturday morning. I recall some talk of a webderland get-together Friday night. I hope that I'll still be able to get together with some of you Saturday or Sunday. I'll be checking this thread periodically and can also be reached at ladybird16 at hotmail dot com. I can share my cell phone number by e-mail for when I'm at the con. Hope to see some of you there!

Dima

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:35 am

For what it's worth here are my plans right now in case anyone wants or needs to coordinate.

I'll be driving across from Pennsylvania on Thursday. I may even leave Wednesday at like 10PM to give myself boatloads of time to rest and snack and stretch my legs. I will be arriving in the CHICAGO area and staying with friends Thursday evening. I mention this because what I'm saying is that I definitely will not be in Madison Thursday. Probably 2.5 hours away. So, no late night airport runs or other scenarios should include me.

Right now my Madison check in is at 4PM Friday - but I suspect I will be arriving earlier. If registration is earlier or the dealers room is set up earlier or someone wants to do a very late lunch (think AFTER 2PM) or early drinking I'm FINE with that.

Presently Friday dinner is open. My panel is at 10PM

Saturday and Sunday wherever/whatever with Harlan. Banquet - someone under 170lbs who doesn't have a seat can sit on my lap. I won't tell Jon Monzo.

Sunday until the last Dead Dog.
Monday - Milwaukee and Wauwetosa.
Tuesday - Appleton.
Wednesday - home again home again.

- Barney

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:38 am

Anybody who needs my phone number can just email me at;
dannelke@gmail.com

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:48 am

Of course, now that Hong Kong/Australia is called off I'm doubly annoyed you all are going to party without me.

"So alone. I'm so all alone..."

:cry:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Barber

Why don't you bring Cris and the puppy up to San Francisco that weekend? There is a Holiday Inn in a central location that is dog friendly, and I'd love the chance to show you and your best half around for a weekend.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:03 pm

OK, what happened to the Australia trip? Furthermore, if you cannot go there, why are you not flying out to party with us in WI?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:16 pm

Australia fell victim to hypoglycemia.

Jazz's insulin is still not stabilized, which lead to a life-threatening drop in his blood sugar. We were in Vegas at the time and got a panicky call from our dogsitter, who we needed to talk down and get a neighbor to come over and help get Jazz to the emergency vet. Fourteen hundred dollars later we had our pup home but two very rattled owners. (Remember, we lost our other dog earlier this year...)

We suddenly realized that we could be in a far off land when his next crisis came (which we hope it never does). So until the insulin is stabilized and it demonstrates some effectiveness, we're not going any further than a couple of hours from home.

Sadlly it seems like he's going to lose his sight after all. A cataract has formed in his left eye...

Otherwise I would LOVE to be in either Wisconsin or SFO...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Okay - the MadCon Original Idea Magnum Opus auction can is done. The base can's colors (reds and blues) are visible through the engraved logo, which gives the black and white of the original a splash of color. Here it is on its own:

And with its ancestor, the original Original Idea:

I think it's a splendid piece of work, and I'm looking forward to it going on the block. Nine days!

Return to “General”