MadCon

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Dima

Re: MadCon

Postby Dima » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:44 am

Thank you Mark, it's a deal. I'll keep an eye on this thread (I usually don't read the board, just the pavillion). Hopefully I'll be able to go!

Dima

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:43 pm

Dima,

Deal. Keep an eye on this thread, but I will let you know if I hear of anything

All the best,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:35 am

Hey gang, looks now like there's a good possibility I'll be going to MadCon. I'll know for sure by Memorial Day. Might there be any other California webderlanders attending?
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:40 pm

Mark, I am glad you started this thread. I had every intention on going but my family has just threw me some curve balls that kinked a lot of plans. I am still going to try and drive up from Chicago. If they need to add another guest of honor table, wouldn't Tom Baker, Dr. Who, be an awesome addition? I will have my own e-mail next week and will keep all in the groove if I get a room, can carpool etc. Wish Steve and Cris could come. Looking forward to and hoping my family doesn't drive me totally gaga in the interim. Diane

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Diane -
Thank you, so do we. But, as I've alluded it comes down to our second honeymoon in June and Grand Tour in October. Those broke the bank both financially and vacation-timewise.

Would love to be there and fiesta with you all. Kind of annoyed to be missing it.

SB
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:27 am

David, right now I have not heard of any CA people attenbding, but will keep you informed if I hear of anything.

Diane, please let us know if your family plans change and you will be able to attend. Tom Baker would be a great GoH, but I am just amazed at whom they have attending already

I may send Job Manzo a message tonight, seeing if it might be possible to arrange any type of formal Webderland gathering, otherwise I figure we would just meet up for meals or any panel discussions that might take place
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue May 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Mark, I can no longer get the Madcon site by googling. Could you post it here and what hotel is aligned with the convention, please? If the crick don't rise, I am going to go. Thanks

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed May 26, 2010 8:35 am

Diane, here is the link to the Convention website:

http://www.madcon2010.com

It is fom 9/24-9/26 and will be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Madison, WI, direct phone 800-404-7630

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:49 pm

I just got an email from Jon Manzo and it looks like I have been added to a couple of panels fro MadCon:

Friday, 10:00-11:00 PM - Collecting Ellison - A discussion about collecting books, magazines, and whatever else you might be looking for that Harlan has had a hand in.

and

Sunday, 10:00-11:00 AM - Harlan Vs. Hollywood - A discussion about Harlan's work as adapted for film, television and radio

If you are attending the convention, do try to stop one of these panels and please don't bring rotten fruit this time :lol:

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:51 am

I love knowing panelists. It puts me in my element in the front row. :)

We're still finalizing flights and timing, but my desire is to be there mid-day Friday; Sunday timing winds up being different, since I'm splitting back to VA while my lady-love is back to Texas, and we wind up at the whim of our respective carriers. In any event, I hope to be present for both panels, travel plans permitting.

Also working on an auction donation item that, if I can get it squared away, could be a runaway hit. But more on that when it's more certain.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:01 am

I have a small favor to ask of someone attending....

I'm more than willing to pay someone a good chunk of change for the book that will be sold at the banquet.
Enough said!

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Doug, you brought me good luck (aside from harlan walking in during the discussion) at the last panel you attended, so I am glad you will be there. Any chance you might be interested in sitting on the panel with me? :D

Very curious as to what item you would be placing up for auction

Trying to work out with my lady about whether or not she will be joining me at the Con. Since she is not a fan of Harlan's she is worried that she will not have much to do there, so we may end up taking off at a couple of points to go to some wineries or local attractions

Lori, I have already promised Charlie in St. Pete that I would pick him up an extra copy of Unrepentant, and I am sure one of the Webderlanders who will attend could get one for you also, or I could also pick one up for you. Don't worry, I will make sure you will get one, although I will not promise that it will be a signed edition, those could be pretty scarce

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:55 pm

Unrepentant.

And one for me??? Anyone, anyone?

:shock: <---- (Puppy dog eyes)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

swp

Postby swp » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:I have a small favor to ask of someone attending....

I'm more than willing to pay someone a good chunk of change for the book that will be sold at the banquet.
Enough said!

moi aussie!
me too!

I offer the usual bonus of 4 quatloos and the special bonus of paying for the other signed copy said person would get for themselves.

seriously, just tell me where to send the money. some of us aren't fortunate enough to be able to take the time due to family issues. help out a fellow webderland flying blue monkey.

thank you for your consideration.
swp

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm not really one for public speaking, Mark - never been my cuppa; though I will admit I might have a little to toss around on the subject of ephemera and Ellison-related doo-dads. And I don't know that it was bad luck, per se, that Harlan walked in - just unfortunate that it changed the energy of the room and that sense of candid fly-on-the-wall he was hoping for when he slipped in.

I can say that the auction item is NOT the 12 inch fully articulated Cordwainer Bird action figure, complete with left-hook action and portable typewriter - sadly, the microchips were on backorder, so if the Bird can't say "Jeet kune do would hardly be appropriate for the likes of you" or "Now they will feel the claws of... The Bird!" then it's not worth the exercise. But if my plan comes to fruition, it will be... a rarity.

I'll see what I can do to snag an extra book for somebody; not knowing demand, I can promise only the attempt.

Return to “General”