MadCon

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

MadCon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 am

OK folks, I realize that this is over a year away, but just wanted to start a thread to gauge interest in who might be attending and also to see if anyone might want to share a room, as I expect I will be flyong solo on this one. While there are few board members who are in my area (since Keeney seems to have dopped off the face of the earth by not replied to a couple of emails or calls), if anyone wanted to carpool I would be open to that also

My hope is that we might be able to use this Con as a way for some of us who have never met in person to finally meet, or for those I have not seen in several years (looking at you, Cramer and Lane) to hang out again

Again, this is a ways off, but just thought I would throw it out there and gauge the level of interest

All the best,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Lori Koonce

Re: MadCon

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:31 pm

Mark

Mr Keeny is alive and well. I've had recent contact with him. Let's just say that I know why he's not so good with the emails and will let him explain in his own time.

Now as far as the room goes, If I can convince my pops that a really good BD pressie would be a cheep round trip ticket to this venue, I'm so there!

I swear that I'll take "meet your all time favorite author" off my bucket list, even if it klls me!

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:43 pm

Lori, hopefully you will be able to make it to the Con

I just sent in my check for 2 memberships to the Con, and for 2 tickets at the Sat. night dinner for Harlan's table.

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:13 pm

I can now say, with as much certainty as one can muster a year in advance: I'm planning on being there, with bells on my Chucks. And mayhap with pictures and tall tales appropriate to the gathering.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:27 pm

Good, I am hoping both you and your lovely girlfriend will be able to make it there. I need to call or email Keith to see if he is planning to go also

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:40 pm

I suppose if I'm employed I can try to attend. My crystal ball is a tad dark at the moment, though.

D.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:19 pm

I'm sorry but I didn't get all the memos.

Where? When?

West coast?

Stunted minds wanna know.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:22 pm

My apologies Ezra, Jon Manzo posted the details in the Pav a few days ago. The Con will be held in Madison, WI on September 24-26, 2010. Cost of the Con is $55 until 12/31/09, and there will be a fundraiser dinner on Saturday night 9/25. For $45 you can sit at the table of one of the Guests of Honor (based on how quickly the tables fill up). Other GoH include Peter David and the editor of Tor Books.

Should be a fun time

Mark

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:44 pm

No problem I just missed it. Thanks. Put me down as a maybe.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

remarck

Postby remarck » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Mark,

Thanks for thinking of me. Like Doug indicated, as well as plans can be etched a year in advance, I'm marking mine on my calendar. I look forward to seeing you again, and Douglas Harrison as well. I've only been to Wisconsin once, and then only to the dog races, so this will be a much needed image re-touch for Wisconsin in my mental photo-album.

-Keith

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:14 pm

I've only been to Wisconsin once, and then only to the dog races

Who ARE you???

remarck

Postby remarck » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:33 pm

I was with at least 5 people, and I don't remember any of them. But it is a true story. I think it was in the early 90's, perhaps during a professional hockey strike? Seems to ring a bell...

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:22 am

Keith was a professional hockey player? :twisted:

It would be great to see you guys again, first round is on me

Dima

Postby Dima » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm considering going to Madcon, as I'd really like to see Harlan in action again. However if I go it will be solo, so I wanted to see whether anyone from my area is going who would possibly want to carpool. Sharing a room at the venue may also be helpful. I live in north-west Indiana, which would be a 5 hour drive or so to Madison.

Dima

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:20 am

Dima, from my unofficial canvas of Webderlanders, I have only found 4 that are heading to MadCon right now, none of them on your neck of the woods. My suggestion would be to keep an eye on the Forums as well as in the Pav, and hopefully more people will announce that they will be attending. I am hoping to organize a Webderlander gathering at one or two points during the Con, so if I hear of anyone who will be heading therre from your general direction I will ask them to send you a PM. Deal?

Hoping to see you at the Con,

Mark

Return to “General”