Culture and Ideas

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Culture and Ideas

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:29 pm

Obama today: Canada has great health care, but we have a different culture. I guess we cannot hack good ideas that come from other cultures. Sheesh.

Frank

You do realize that culture has almost EVERYTHING to do with whether or not an Idea can take root in a society right?

Just look at the Middle East. Democracy is a great idea. They should be embracing it with gusto right? So, why aren't they?

Could it be because there are concepts that as a culture they aren't ready to accept, like female equality, freedom of religion and stuffs like that?

Even our own culture had to shift for certian things to happen. Do you think that every change justs comes down from heaven and has its way?

Steve Evil

Re: Culture and Ideas

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:25 pm

I think Obama's right. How else to explain the vastly different reactions to the same basic concept?

(Though in many cases American reactions to the concept are based on scary bedtime stories rather than any actual real-life experience with it. . .)

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:26 am

If I came off like I didn't think Obama was correct, then I misspoke. He's very right.

I was just trying to explain to Frank that culture had a lot to do with acceptance of an Idea.

I mean in the not too distant past enough Soviets got sick and tired of the status quo and a huge nation fell, and freed a lot of people from oppression.

:D

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:11 am

Quiet down you two, it was just an excuse to suck up to insurance companies. Bah.

Return to “General”