Yiddish online

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Yiddish online

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:55 pm

For those of you who cannot abide acutally looking at a book for information

Here's an easy to use Glosarry of yiddish terms.

http://www.pass.to/glossary/Default.htm

Purr~Genki dashite~

Re: Yiddish online

Postby Purr~Genki dashite~ » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:29 am

haha~you called out the lazy~ :wink:
I learned my first yiddish words in looking for Kadak! What an education for an 11 year old!
"Why be difficult when with a little effort you can be impossible."

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:16 am

I think everyone here learned their first Yiddish from that story.

Well, the few Jewish people may have learned it from grandparents, but....

Wasn't really calling out the lazy, just making it easier for them. Yiddish is such and expressive language, we should all learn what fits our vocuablaries.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Actually, many of us probably heard the odd Yiddish term first in the movies of Mel Brooks.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:36 pm

You should also learn arabic, ya zionist loving fuckers...

Jus kiddin..lol

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:29 am

In my case, Yiddish was spoken regularly in my house, as it was the only language my great grandmother spoke, and the only one my grandmother knew until she went to 1st grade. My parents used to speak Yiddish in fron of the kinder (kids) when they wanted to discuss something but did not want us to know what they were talking about. The funny part is my Dad spoke Yiddish REALLY bad, and my motehr kept having to repeat stuff to him. What they did not know until years later is that my sister & I were able to get a working understanding of Yiddish from Hebrew school, since Yiddish is a combination of Hebrew & German. I still know some words, but have forgotten most of what I once knew in that language

Frank, if my work load eases up there is a quote from a comic regarding Israel & the Arab States that I will post in your thread later today.....
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:17 pm

David Loftus wrote:Actually, many of us probably heard the odd Yiddish term first in the movies of Mel Brooks.

Point well taken David

But it wasn't until I read Kadak that I realized those were Yiddish. They were always in a context easily understood, so I just figured Brooks was trying to be funny.

Return to “General”